Ukuleles are our pets

Cassie

Reaction score
I just thought of something. A lot of us treat our ukes as if they are our pets. We give them nicknames, we carry them with us a lot and if they get dropped or damaged, we take them to the vet a.k.a. the repair shop. What else do you guys do to treat your ukulele is if it is one of your pets? Of course, you don't really feed them. But in other ways, it's like they are our pets. After a session, I cradle my little Kalea which is a kala soprano while slowly rocking and humming a soft lullaby. I still have her cradled in playing position during this ending part of the session. Sometimes, I do that at night just before going to sleep.

Last edited:
I agree, Cassie, and I think my uke is like a pet also in that it's so accepting of who I am and of the limitations of my abilities. It's almost like it totally understands that in more skilled hands it could sing so much better, but it's happy to stay by my side and do its best for me even though I will probably never be able to coax its full potential out of it. Sounds crazy, sure, but if we can attribute patience and loyalty to our pets, I think we can find the same virtues in our ukes too!

Definitely! I am still kind of new to it because I've only had little Kalea for about a year or so now. Actually, I think it's a little over a year.

I put a leash around my uke this morning and took it out for a walk.

I put a leash around my uke this morning and took it out for a walk.

Ha ha, you kill me!
Yes, Cassie, my ukes are a lot like my cats. I do hold them in my lap and stroke them!

I have a sign that reads BEWARE OF THE UKULELE attached to my front gate.

(Not really.)

One huge difference between pets and musical instruments -- musical instruments don't normally die as they age. Especially string instruments, most of them get better and stronger as they age. And they will go on for centuries if treated properly. Pets, on the other hand, get weaker and sicker as they age and run up huge medical bills until they eventually die. One other big difference -- my ukulele (nor any of my other instruments) has ever run out the open door and tried to chase a car!

I just thought of something. A lot of us treat our ukes as if they are our pets. We give them nicknames, we carry them with us a lot and if they get dropped or damaged, we take them to the vet a.k.a. the repair shop. What else do you guys do to treat your ukulele is if it is one of your pets? Of course, you don't really feed them. But in other ways, it's like they are our pets. After a session, I cradle my little Kalea which is a kala soprano while slowly rocking and humming a soft lullaby. I still have her cradled in playing position during this ending part of the session. Sometimes, I do that at night just before going to sleep.

You called your uke Kalea ! That's what I call mine. It means Filled with Joy apparently. I never thought I'd come across another Kalea!

Last edited:
I have a sign that reads BEWARE OF THE UKULELE attached to my front gate.

(Not really.)

Excellent :D

On the same note I have a sign on our front door " In Case of Fire Save Ukuleles"

Well, regarding feeding them, yes, that is what we are doing when we fill their little humidifiers. We also tuck them into bed when we put them in their cases - that makes them sound more like children than pets. :)

Well, regarding feeding them, yes, that is what we are doing when we fill their little humidifiers. We also tuck them into bed when we put them in their cases - that makes them sound more like children than pets. :)

Kathryn,
That's really sum it up!
..I am thinking when I travel more than two days. I may have to send them to downupdave house like going to pet hotel so that they are fed properly with the humidifier.

Cassie, I completely dig what you're saying...but in my world, between ukuleles and dogs, dogs win hands down.

Others are welcome to their own opinions, and I completely respect them. ;)

I know that I like dogs too. But Ukuleles do not mess on the floor, require training, require feeding or any of that stuff but yet then again, we get attached to them and it's almost as if they get attached to us as well. Even though they don't show it. I am starting to become very attached to little Kalea. Don't get me wrong though, I do love my puppies but with ukulele, you don't have to worry about feeding or training or stopping what you're doing to make sure they go do their business. LOL.

You called your uke Kalea ! That's what I call mine. It means Filled with Joy apparently. I never thought I'd come across another Kalea!

Yes, I often call her little Kalea to keep from getting confused with anyone else who might have the same name for theirs. I think it is Hawaiian from the research I've read about it.

One huge difference between pets and musical instruments -- musical instruments don't normally die as they age. Especially string instruments, most of them get better and stronger as they age. And they will go on for centuries if treated properly. Pets, on the other hand, get weaker and sicker as they age and run up huge medical bills until they eventually die. One other big difference -- my ukulele (nor any of my other instruments) has ever run out the open door and tried to chase a car!

Oh yes, that's another reason why I treat my little Kalea as if it is a pet on its own. Luckily, they do not die unless they have been dropped or damaged. Another thing about them is they never get aggressive and try to hurt or bite you. lol.

Last edited:
Lots of great comments here! My ukuleles have yet to greet me at the door when I come home like these guys do...
charchi.jpg
:shaka:

I don't treat my ukuleles like pets but My wife's cat loves to be played too.
She will sit right in front of me and stare at the ukulele when I finger pick.IMG_2382.jpg

I've had a pet of some kind almost all my life, but strangely never bonded to one. They were like my siblings :eek:, I saw them, interacted with them, but never felt particularly close to any of them. On the other hand, my uke has a name, Brio. Not that I call it, but when I play live, somewhere in the performance I say, "This is Brio." People seem surprised, but they like it. I've had many other instruments, including ukes, and not every one has been named. This uke is special to me, and besides re-stringing about every 3 months, I humidify as needed, and leave it out of rain, direct sunlight, etc. When I carry it about, I keep it close, in a heavy duty gig bag when not playing. I also wipe it down after playing, especially in summer, just with a soft cloth. Songwriting is my primary means of expression, and the uke is both a tool and a partner to me. I couldn't afford to replace it right away if anything happened, but I would replace it ASAP.

Top Bottom