Ukulele build # 20

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
Here is my latest ukulele, which I started last August, but had to put aside to work on another project. Late in December I returned to work intermittently on this uke and had a good share of ups and downs, two fret boards, three bridges, two nuts, spilled ca glue on the finish, and so on. Eventually, it was declared finished and I'll soon be mailing it to my youngest son.
The back and sides are koa, the first time that I've used it and it looks great, the top is sitka spruce, the bridge, head plate, and fret board are rosewood. The neck is mahogany. The tuners are Gotah UPT , which are the greatest!
What I learned from this project is not to do an inlay on light coloured wood, like spruce, unless you're an expert. On dark wood it is easy to hide gaps by filling with dark filler, but with spruce, no matter what I used as a gap filler, it would show up dark, very frustrating!
I'm pleased to say that the sound is great to my ears and I'm sure my son won't mind all the warts!

Bob

Attachments

• Mike's uke.jpg
    Mike's uke.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Mike's uke 2.jpg
    Mike's uke 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 85
  • Mike's uke9.jpg
    Mike's uke9.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 99
  • Mike's uke.jpg
    Mike's uke.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Mike's uke.jpg
    Mike's uke.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 70
A few more pics.

Attachments

• Mike's uke3.jpg
    Mike's uke3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Mike's uke1.jpg
    Mike's uke1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Way to persevere! I think it looks great! :shaka:

Looks great Bob. I can see you put a lot of work into that and the inlay looks fine from the pictures and yes, inlay in dark wood is easier. I can inlay on black ebony like a pro!`

I think it looks great. I really like the inlay work (those reptiles look alive) and your rosette is super. You clearly have more patience than me.

I reckon your son will treasure it.

Thanks, all for your encouraging comments, as Sequoia would say, onward and upward! I'm now well into another teardrop soprano started at the beginning of the month.

Bob

Bob, I have always admired your work, and this one, build #20, is a beaut. Posted on these pages , especially for us luthier wannabes, is great mentoring.

Top Bottom