PDA

View Full Version : Moore Bettah being auctioned..gotta see this!

flailingfingers
03-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Already up to $13,000 and still 2 days to go.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/auction-moore-bettah-koa-tenor-hula-dancer-1708.html

Choirguy
03-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Does the auction benefit anyone or an organization? I can't tell from the description.

Patchenu
03-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Any guesses on how much this one goes for? There is still lots of time left on the auction so who knows where this one lands. It is spectacular. I especially love the head stock and rosette.

PhilUSAFRet
03-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Hell, I'd have a hard time deciding whether to play it or put it on a motorized base, inside a glass case, and just watch it slowly turn all day long. Not sure ukulele art will ever get any better than this.

UkerDanno
03-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Does the auction benefit anyone or an organization? I can't tell from the description.

Haha...I hope it benefits Chuck and whoever he decides to help out...:shaka:

wickedwahine11
03-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Hell, I'd have a hard time deciding whether to play it or put it on a motorized base, inside a glass case, and just watch it slowly turn all day long. Not sure ukulele art will ever get any better than this.

I agree. I researched a lot of Chuck's work when we did our book, and hands down, this is my all-time favorite he has ever done.

Camsuke
03-27-2017, 03:43 PM
An absolutely gorgeous instrument, it will no doubt bring great joy to another cashed-up collector.

sukie
03-27-2017, 04:58 PM
I agree. I researched a lot of Chuck's work when we did our book, and hands down, this is my all-time favorite he has ever done.

It's gorgeous. But I love yours. The way the headstock design bleed into the neck on yours is so wonderful.

(I still have a personal favourite. :-D )

DaveY
03-27-2017, 05:03 PM
DAMN! It's up to $13,330 now. My limit was $13,325.

Jim Hanks
03-27-2017, 05:33 PM
DAMN! It's up to $13,330 now. My limit was $13,325.

Haha! Yeah, my limit was $13,329. I'm out. ;)

Down Up Dick
03-27-2017, 05:47 PM
I wonder how many ukes one could buy for $13,330 -- only in America . . . :old:

Patrick Madsen
03-27-2017, 08:18 PM

One if it's a Moore Bettah.

Tof
03-27-2017, 08:54 PM
This is not a "simple" uke, it's a piece of art. As such comparing prices with production ukes is like comparing a bucket of interior paint with an artist painting :) Both go on the wall, same function if you have an utilitarian point of view... but the latter becomes priceless if it speaks to your soul.

As for Chuck's work, it's a combination of high-level craftsmanship, fantastic music instruments and unique art mixing inlaying and scrimshawing. Everything handcrafted by one man from A to Z in his remote workshop! I think it's pretty unique in the uke world.

RichM
03-28-2017, 01:40 AM

If you mean only in America can a remarkable artist and craftsman like Chuck Moore be suitably compensated for the exceptional work he does... I would agree.

A cynic is a person who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
---Oscar Wilde

wayfarer75
03-28-2017, 02:07 AM
An equivalent guitar would cost way more than $13k. (And why is that? Guitars are bigger, yes, but not so many more pieces that the labor would cost more.) I don't have the money to spend on a Moore Bettah, but clearly others do. I don't begrudge them. I have some nice ukes that cost a lot to some people. Especially those who think it's just a toy.

Cornfield
03-28-2017, 03:02 AM
It's a beauty! I love Mo' Bettah ukes

wickedwahine11
03-28-2017, 03:34 AM
It's gorgeous. But I love yours. The way the headstock design bleed into the neck on yours is so wonderful.

(I still have a personal favourite. :-D )

Ha, yes, I love mine it is my most cherished possession, for sentimental as well as artistic and musical reasons. But the inlay on this one is divine, whoever gets it has something special indeed. I rather like yours, too! :)

Down Up Dick
03-28-2017, 03:56 AM
If you mean only in America can a remarkable artist and craftsman like Chuck Moore be suitably compensated for the exceptional work he does... I would agree.

---Oscar Wilde

That wasn't what I meant. And I thought "The Picture of Dorian Gray" was kinda silly, but I enjoyed it. :old:

spookelele
03-28-2017, 03:59 AM
Haha! Yeah, my limit was $13,329. I'm out. ;)

you're in luck then cuz it's down to 8975. Maybe there was a technical error and they rolled back the bid price.

Chuck is an artist for sure.

bearbike137
03-28-2017, 04:02 AM

---Oscar Wilde

And a sentimentalist, my dear Darlington, is a man who sees an absurd value in everything and doesn’t know the market price of any single thing.
---Oscar Wilde

Full quote. :)

stevepetergal
03-28-2017, 04:12 AM
This is really ugly. The holy grail has become the golden fleece. I almost dislike HMS for this stuff.

Yeah, yeah... supply and demand, what the market will bear... all that garbage.
I'd venture to guess most of the people bidding have never even tried a Mo Bettuh. I've played one. It was very nice.

DaveY
03-28-2017, 04:17 AM
you're in luck then cuz it's down to 8975. Maybe there was a technical error and they rolled back the bid price.

It does seem that way at first, but if you scroll down you can see the current bid and the clock ticking down to the deadline.

Tenor
03-28-2017, 04:54 AM
“Good luck to whoever gets the uke in the end, and I hope the transaction is beneficial to Chuck Moore and the Ukulele Site, two commercial units which are deserving of financial success.” - Bill1, Senior Member

Absolutely. - Tenor

RichM
03-28-2017, 04:54 AM
And a sentimentalist, my dear Darlington, is a man who sees an absurd value in everything and doesn’t know the market price of any single thing.
---Oscar Wilde

Full quote. :)

So what do we call someone who knows the market price, but still sees the value?

Happy.

bearbike137
03-28-2017, 05:14 AM
So what do we call someone who knows the market price, but still sees the value?

Appreciative and secure, if the value is derived entirely from the instrument itself...

PTOEguy
03-28-2017, 05:24 AM
I would never own a Moore Bettah because something that nice would make me nervous, but I'm thrilled that they exist. And compared to this its a great bargain.

https://www.deeringbanjos.com/products/banjosaurus-long-neck

RichM
03-28-2017, 05:31 AM
I would never own a Moore Bettah because something that nice would make me nervous, but I'm thrilled that they exist. And compared to this its a great bargain.

https://www.deeringbanjos.com/products/banjosaurus-long-neck

Well said. Chuck Moore is an artisan who has paid his dues and honed his craft to become one of the finest living instrument builders. That his work commands a premium price is wonderful; he has earned it and deserves it.

stevejfc
03-28-2017, 05:54 AM
Without a doubt, one of my all-time favorites. The artistry and the detail are superb........and you know it's gonna play like a dream!

vanflynn
03-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Ya know, having dabbled in some other instruments where $10k wasn't uncommon (not the ones I had) I am just happy that we have so many master craftsmen as active participants in this forum who are part of day to day banter and share how it's all done.

Thank you.

AndrewKuker
03-28-2017, 08:45 PM
This is really ugly. The holy grail has become the golden fleece. I almost dislike HMS for this stuff.

I'd venture to guess most of the people bidding have never even tried a Mo Bettuh. I've played one. It was very nice.

Anyway, I can just look at our bank account to know that I do this for love.

Pueo
03-28-2017, 10:04 PM
I know Chuck and I know Andrew.
Neither of them drive Rolls-Royces.
Likely the folks buying these instruments have some spare cash.
The point is that Chuck has a long waiting list.
Every now and again he makes a special ukulele, and it gets auctioned off to someone who wants one without waiting and has the means to procure it.
It also prevents someone getting to that spot on Chuck's list, purchasing an ukulele and then selling it on eBay. At least this way Chuck profits and not a market speculator.
Chuck is an artist who deserves every dollar he commands for his craftsmanship.
His "regular" ukuleles are not that expensive for what they are, and a few lucky folks get those if they are in the right place at the right time.
I hope to own one someday, but it will be one for me to play, not to sell or collect.

bearbike137
03-29-2017, 03:10 AM

Dislike HMS? From what I see, they set the minimum bid 50% below what appears to be the going rate for that uke.

Are there some corksniffers and collectors bidding on that uke? Probably. But they get to.

Look on the bright side. Many people call this the "golden age of ukuleles" because there are so many great ukes being made. But those ukes won't be made if uke builders (and music stores) can't pay their bills. Collings Guitars has been sporadic in their uke production mostly because they aren't making enough money from it. A $13,000 uke is an exception. Most sell for less than $500.

I have never played a Moore Bettah, but I have the strong impression from clips and reviews that they are among the best ukes being made today. Morever, Chuck is an artist. Have you ever gotten a quote from an inlay artist for a uke? I have. They ain't cheap. And Chuck may be one of the best out there.

By the way - what is the alternative here? Should Chuck or Andrew list the uke for $5000 when several people are willing to pay at least twice that much? Why should that money stay in the buyer's pocket as opposed to the maker's pocket? And if that buyer turns around and immediately flips the uke for twice the price, what did that buyer do to earn that cash other than show up? I would much rather see that money go to the builders and sellers - wouldn't you?

Cornfield
03-29-2017, 03:54 AM

I owned a Moore Bettah, briefly. It was the nicest instrument that I have ever owned. I only sold it because I have developed a skin condition that prevents me from playing fretted instruments. When I advertised my Moore Bettah for the price that I paid, I did not attempt to profit from it. Someone went on a verbal rampage on the UU marketplace because he felt that I was trying to rip people off.
It sold within a day and there were two more people that offered to buy it at my asking price. I've never been to HMS but I have been to Chuck Moores home and workshop. He is an extraordinary man who happens to be artist, craftsman and luthier. HMS is lucky that Chuck allows them to sell his work.

spookelele
03-29-2017, 03:57 AM
Maybe the "hms is auctioning a MB" threads should all just be sticky, because it's the exact same conversations every time.

"It's crazy expense"
"Its art, and you can't put a price on art"
"People can spend their money how they want"
"Its not worth it"
"Yes it is, and I wish I could afford it"
"Wow, can you believe what it sold for?"
"Yes, and I wish I had the money. Good luck to the buyer, you're going to love it"

RichM
03-29-2017, 04:05 AM
Maybe the "hms is auctioning a MB" threads should all just be sticky, because it's the exact same conversations every time.

"It's crazy expense"
"Its not worth it"
"Yes, and I wish I had the money. Good luck to the buyer, you're going to love it"

If we outlaw discussing the same things over and over again, this forum will have about two threads :).

Besides, any excuse to ogle a Moore Bettah.

flailingfingers
03-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Going, going, gone for $15,000. Congratulations to Daniel, HMS and Chuck. Fun to watch the final minutes.

Choirguy
03-29-2017, 04:49 PM

"It's crazy expense"
"Its not worth it"

Maybe that is all true; the shock for me is that the ukulele just sold for a value higher than my car. The only thing I own more expensive than that ukulele is the remaining debt on my graduate education (MA & PhD) and my house (yeah, the house is many more times more expensive).

But...if you have the funds to buy such a thing--why not? You can't take it with you.

I just posted about my new Bonanza Ukulele...if anyone wants to buy that for $9000 or more--just message me!

(Just kidding about that...just contact Pete and buy one at the normal price)

spookelele
03-30-2017, 03:36 AM
But...if you have the funds to buy such a thing--why not? You can't take it with you.

I wish... I do hope to someday own a MB before I die. But that isn't today.

sukie
03-30-2017, 03:47 AM
If we outlaw discussing the same things over and over again, this forum will have about two threads :).

Besides, any excuse to ogle a Moore Bettah.
Bingo!

DownUpDave
03-30-2017, 03:54 AM
Anyway, I can just look at our bank account to know that I do this for love.

Pure class and the truth.

flailingfingers
03-30-2017, 04:00 AM
I do own a MB. Bought it used a couple of years ago from the Ukulele Friend site. It doesn't have the scrimshaw work that Chuck is famous for but it does have the sound and playability. It is just what i wanted. It was a stretch for me to buy it but I have never regretted the purchase. Just the opposite. It gives me a very great deal of pleasure every day. Really heart-felt joy. Ukulele Friend has 2 used MBs for sale now. Not cheap but much less than $15K. When I consider the pleasure I get from the MB, the price doesn't even enter the picture. I'm sure there are other fine custom ukes that give back the same joy. Just saying that it can sure be worth the price.

UkerDanno
03-30-2017, 04:03 AM
Congrat's, Chuck! That's some gorgeous curly koa...

Telperion
03-30-2017, 05:29 AM

I actually like HMS even more for this! It's fun to watch these auctions. I'd love to watch a Sotheby's auction for a Stradivarius violin too, for the same reasons.

stevepetergal, if you made something as beautiful as this and sold it for $5K, how would you feel when you see it come up for auction a short time later and sell for $15K? HMS is the perfect venue with a captive target audience, which has helped Chuck fetch the prices he deserves and prevents others from turning around and profiting off of his talents. I've always viewed HMS's involvement with selling MB's as Andrew helping Chuck get the best prices he can. There is no way that greed is playing a role here. It wouldn't surprise me if Chuck has over 100 hours of work in this piece too.

good_uke_boy
03-30-2017, 06:03 AM
I'm lucky enough to own a MB, too. It's my best playing, sounding, and looking instrument.

The one just sold on HMS is astounding, and it makes me appreciate the one I own even more.

Best wishes to the new owner.

70sSanO
03-30-2017, 06:04 AM
I actually like HMS even more for this! It's fun to watch these auctions. I'd love to watch a Sotheby's auction for a Stradivarius violin too, for the same reasons.

stevepetergal, if you made something as beautiful as this and sold it for $5K, how would you feel when you see it come up for auction a short time later and sell for $15K? HMS is the perfect venue with a captive target audience, which has helped Chuck fetch the prices he deserves and prevents others from turning around and profiting off of his talents.

Interesting post. It would be nice to hear from descendants of Antonio Stradivari who are out working their day jobs.

John

Telperion
03-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Interesting post. It would be nice to hear from descendants of Antonio Stradivari who are out working their day jobs.

John

I had a feeling I would get this response from someone. Now we're talking about value appreciation over time - and a long time at that. Chuck is still alive for crying out loud (and hopefully for a many many more years too!).

I'd be proud as hell to be a descendant of Antonio Stradivari. Would be super cool to be able to say that. I certainly wouldn't expect a cut of the sales each time one of his 300 year old instruments is sold. His descendants had nothing to do with the genius of his creations. That's ridiculous and IMO a bad argument. We obviously differ in our views and that is not my argument at all in the case of Chuck's uke selling for $15K. I only mentioned the Strads it in the context of how I enjoy watching the auctions, not who should get paid.

70sSanO
03-30-2017, 12:57 PM
It was more of a tongue-in-cheek irony if one of his descendants had to install microwave ovens and custom kitchen deliveries, move refrigerators and color TV's for a living.

John

Telperion
03-30-2017, 01:07 PM
It was more of a tongue-in-cheek irony....

John

Sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake. Cheers.

Cornfield
03-30-2017, 01:38 PM
It was more of a tongue-in-cheek irony if one of his descendants had to install microwave ovens and custom kitchen deliveries, move refrigerators and color TV's for a living.

John

"Money for nothing.... I want my MTV"

Choirguy
03-30-2017, 02:10 PM
I'd be proud as hell to be a descendant of Antonio Stradivari. Would be super cool to be able to say that. I certainly wouldn't expect a cut of the sales each time one of his 300 year old instruments is sold. His descendants had nothing to do with the genius of his creations. That's ridiculous and IMO a bad argument. We obviously differ in our views and that is not my argument at all in the case of Chuck's uke selling for $15K. I only mentioned the Strads it in the context of how I enjoy watching the auctions, not who should get paid.

I'll stay off topic and mention that if you ever make it to Madrid, Spain, the Royal Museum in Madrid (Palacio Real) has a very, VERY, rare collection of Stradivarius instruments including two violins, a viola, and a cello. Most people going through the museum have no idea of what they are seeing (it is called the "Stradivarius Room" but most people don't put two and two together to know that why are seeing. I managed to get the security guard in the room to allow me to take a video and some pictures. Trip Advisory says that the four instruments may be worth more than 100 Million Euros!