steel strings for uke?

ilocano_uke_player

Reaction score
i getting a customized full electric ukulele made here in the philippines but i wanted to use steel electic strings...

i tried using it with my classical ukulele the strings i used were too tight when tuned...

i was wondering if anyone had an idea or know what guage of strings are perfect for it with a low g tuning...

i just wanted to try cuz i only see electric ukuleles with nylons...

thanks

Hi, welcome to UU. :D

If your uke is being custom made, you really need to consult with the builder about the strings. Steel strings can put a great deal more tension on an instrument than nylon, and you so don't want to risk damaging a custom uke by stringing it inappropriately!

If the pickup is magnetic then the builder will probably be making the structure equal to coping with steel strings. If it's piezo, then there's no guarantee.

Check with your builder, my friend. :shaka:

try checking out what jupiter creek uses on his solid body electric ukes. I know they are steel string, and I think he uses regular guitar strings cut to size.

http://www.jupitercreekmusic.com/

the problem is the guy whose suppose to make my uke normally just makes guitars... he has no clue about ukuleles...

problem is no ones really familiar with ukes here in philippines...

thanks for the share guys..

big frustration for me... hahahaha

when i find out though ill post it up.... = )

You can pretty much disregard what I said about tension!

When you said "full electric ukulele" my brain didn't translate to "solid body ukulele"! :D For some reason I assumed an acoustic electric. Solid will handle steel strings no prob.

Ignore me, I'll just go sit over here in the corner. :eek:

try checking out what jupiter creek uses on his solid body electric ukes. I know they are steel string, and I think he uses regular guitar strings cut to size.

http://www.jupitercreekmusic.com/
Wow...I wonder if he could add a tremolo bar...that would be very interesting to say the least!

Love the lap steel ukes too.

Any Uke school in Manila?

Hi im Trina, I'm also from the Phippines. Do you know any music school offering short ukulele lessons in Manila?

Hi im Trina, I'm also from the Phippines. Do you know any music school offering short ukulele lessons in Manila?

Currently we do not have any school that will specifically teach ukes in manila. But as a guitar instructor, I am developing a learning module for ukes and I am looking for the first batch of students. I'm in Makati, Philippines BTW.

the problem is the guy whose suppose to make my uke normally just makes guitars... he has no clue about ukuleles...

problem is no ones really familiar with ukes here in philippines...

thanks for the share guys..

big frustration for me... hahahaha

when i find out though ill post it up.... = )

So you have commissioned a guitar luthier in making a ukelele? hmm it can be a hit or miss. I do hope he knows the measures of a short scaled fretboard. It is better if you can provide him with an actual uke neck to copy the fret wire layout.
I'm more worried on the electric part of the uke. Remember, ukes have four strings, most guitar pickups have six magnetic poles. and the bridge should also be tailor made for four strings only. the fender saddles work great here, but I prefer gibson types for that jazz look.
Now regarding steel strings, you can't go wrong in using the ultra light strings of D-addario. Or if you want, regular light gauges of GHS, fender etc. Just dont buy the "alice brand"(it will grind your frets to stubs!). Much better get the Mariposa ^_^. Also take note of the string tension. you will be using the G(2pcs),B(1pc), and E(1pc) strings.

other notes that can help :
- truss rod
- cavity shielding
- jumbo frets/ or even scalloped necks!

Risa in germany sells steel strings for the uke

You can buy steel strings for the uke at www.ukulele.de from Risa. They are GCEA with a low G. I have been drooling over their RISA LP Soprano for some time. Hope this helps.

No More Strings

Hey guys im new at playing ukuleles and its been a week since i started playing...
im from Philippines by the way and its so depressing cuz I want to change the strings of my uke..
But music-instrument stores here don't sell set of strings or strings for ukuleles they sell nylon strings for guitars tough but i don't know what standard gauges are for G,C,E,A strings for my tenor ukulele...:(

can anyone give me some advice on what kind of nylon guitar strings or ideas on what string gauge that I can replace for my ukulele..

thanks...

You can use the top four strings of a standard classical guitar set; they're perfect for tenor ukes. That would be with a low G. If you want to go to a high G you can get close with a classical guitar high E string. If you can get an extra high tension high E that would be even better. And then there's just buying strings over the Internet.

Thank you mr.turner for the advice :D I'll try to attach it to my uke... thank you very much...

Top Bottom