NUD & NSD: Bonanza, Straps for Chords

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Today I had pleasant surprised: my new ukulele from Bonanza Ukulele arrived, as well as my two latest straps from Straps for Chords.

About the Bonanza: I had a chance to see the new Bonanza Ameoba shape in person a few weeks ago (Pete and Shelley brought a bunch of them to the Minnesota Winter Bluegrass Festival). I was impressed at how comfortable these were to play, and after the festival ordered one.

Specifically, I ordered one with an aspen front and black walnut back. I also asked for a black walnut head plate, along with white tuners and a white nut and saddle that matched. Surprsingingly, they constructed it very quickly (I was expecting it late April), and it arrived today.

I haven't played it very much yet, and it won't be fair to fully review it until it has had a chance to age a little more and recover from the journey from upper Minnesota!

All that said, so far it has a clear tone, it is beautiful, and it is a unique ukulele built to my requests. All for under $300. You can't beat that price for what you are getting. bonanzaukuleles.com. I love that it is an ingenious design and solution by a Minnesotan (and his wife)--and that they are using what I would consider North American woods. Nuts, Saddles, and Braces are made of corian; the kerfling (sp?) is CNC'd out of a solid piece of wood. Necks are purchased from Mainland (I love that Mike allows for that). So--fun to have my own Bonanza (I commissioned one for my choir program) and to support Pete and Shelley's company.

Also arriving today from across the pond were my two latest straps from Staps for Chords, who I originally found on eBay. I really like their straps, and requested a Dr. Who strap (they are in the UK, after all) and a Halloween strap. Traci was able to find material for these...so now I have those, too. Incidentally, Shelley Mai of Bonanza Ukuleles also makes straps (I have a Star Wars strap on my Outdoor Ukulele. Now I need a Star Trek strap). If you have strap buttons, I would suggest either--and I am sure that Sarah Maisel's straps are excellent, too.

I will add to this post when I make a video...but I do want to give this ukulele some time to settle into my life and to open up a bit.

IMG_4226_zpsmhz7g7oo.jpg

IMG_4227_zps0bc6wuci.jpg

IMG_4228_zps8spzqpzq.jpg

IMG_4229_zpsqeyxiff7.jpg

I watched some videos on their website. These ukes really have a bright, unique sound to me. My first thought was WOW, that sounds nothing like my uke! Very nice and reasonably priced (I'm understating that). Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Hey Chris, I anxiously await seeing you do your magic with Fletcher.
Are you going to rename him?
BTW: have another look at the bracing.

Last edited:
Pete...I had to make a video...currently uploading. Is the bracing now wood? I saw the images of #133...

Will drop the video here when done. It is amazing how nice this one sounds. Couldn't be happier. Well...if I won the lottery I would be happier. That's about it.

Forgot to put the Straps for Chords link into post: http://strapsforchords.webs.com/1-ukulele-straps-classics

And the first day video...in my car...

Last edited:
Congrats! Looks and sounds great. I came in possession of #124 a few days ago. Amoeba, cherry top, butterscotch retro sides and back. This is one the 2 choices I was going to order from them for Christmas this year anyhow, so when they put this on the market, I grabbed it up, and my wife is buying this one for me, so yah me! I will never see or try all the ukes in the world, but I really like the sound and playability of the Bonanza's. I have 2. They named this one "Mallow", which I kinda like cause the other one I have is named "Melody". I never name instruments myself, but If I was I would maybe call this one "Mullet", with the cherry top and funky kitchen counter top laminate sides and back. It's like business in the front and pleasure in the rear. lol

They named this one "Mallow", which I kinda like cause the other one I have is named "Melody". I never name instruments myself, but If I was I would maybe call this one "Mullet", with the cherry top and funky kitchen counter top laminate sides and back. It's like business in the front and pleasure in the rear. lol

Needed that chuckle.:rolleyes:

Congrats! Looks and sounds great. I came in possession of #124 a few days ago. Amoeba, cherry top, butterscotch retro sides and back. This is one the 2 choices I was going to order from them for Christmas this year anyhow, so when they put this on the market, I grabbed it up, and my wife is buying this one for me, so yah me! I will never see or try all the ukes in the world, but I really like the sound and playability of the Bonanza's. I have 2.

Congrats on that ukulele! I played that one along with many of the other early Amoebas that Pete and Shelley brought to the Bluegrass Festival. The laminate back is an interesting look, but boy, oh boy, did it project!

I have been playing mine quite a bit... lot of people don't know how to react to the shape! I'm looking forward to bringing it to the April Ukulele event hosted by Ukester Brown..and we'll see if there is a Twin Cities Ukulele Jam on Good Friday as there was last year.

Pete...Shelley's note said, "Frazier," you said, "Fletcher." Which was it?

Looks great. Now where can I get a star trek one for my uke. I'm in England.

Top Bottom