D'Addario tuner

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Tried my little D'Addario clip on guitar tuner today on my Outdoor uke. Works great, very bright and accurate, the head swivels nicely, and it is alot smaller and less noticeable than a Snark. Anyone else using these? The only downside I see is that it may be easier to lose, since it is pretty small.

20170330_123403-1.jpg20170330_123348-1.jpg

Yep. Hint: invert the display and mount it underneath so it faces you. It's even less obtrusive that way. I wouldn't even stand to use a tuner if it weren't for the availability of these little micro-guys.

bratsche

Yep. Hint: invert the display and mount it underneath so it faces you. It's even less obtrusive that way....

+1, I do it that way on my electric guitars, where it is almost invisible. But on that uke, and others, especially the sopranos, there's not enough room on the back, the geared tuners get in the way.

Hint: invert the display and mount it underneath so it faces you. It's even less obtrusive that way.

Duh...I hadn't even *thought* of doing that--thanks for the hint! It'll make my MBU headstock look that much better...

These are what I use too. I really like the size, and it seems to do a great job. I only have one now, but I have seen 2 packs for salel that are a lot better deal than just buying one.

Cool Cat Ukes recently tested 3 tuners and found the D'Addario to be more accurate to pitch than two other tuners (one a Snark, see the other recent thread). Barry Maz (gotaukulele.com) also has been very favorable on this tuner.

I have a couple of the sound hole D'Addario tuners...okay, to be sure, but the power button makes you reach into the sound hole (not exactly convienient) and some ukuleles are too thin to hold the tuner by itself--others don't work (Outdoor Ukulele). Otherwise I have the Reverb $4 clip on tuners. I have been happy with those, but I will need to test them. Looks like I'll be buying a sound wave generator app...

I have one of them, but prefer the "regular" clip on tuners as I don't leave tuners on my ukes and the normal ones are quicker to put on and remove. The Polytune I have is probably the most accurate of the bunch, but I still prefer the $5 cheapo that I got four years ago as it's easiest to read. (I bought an identical one and it didn't work as well as the older one.)

I just completed my own test of the tuners in my possession, and while you are right..an error margin of 0.5% isn't much--however, when you hear the range of pitch from the lowest possible "C" to the highest possible "C," that range is nearly a half step. So if you tuned up and played with others, it is possible that everyone could be as much as a half-step away from each other, and in music theory terms...that's a tone cluster!

There is no harm in testing accuracy or tolerances...and manufacturers should expect this. Sure, any tuner will work. But if you are investing in a more expensive instrument, wouldn't it make sense to also buy the most accurate tuner (within reason?)

Anyone else using these?
I have one living on almost each of my ukes permanently because they are so small. Anything else tends to get lost and needs some place to stay - these simply stay where you need them.

My preferred location is next to the nut, not on the far end of the headstock; look here to see what I mean (accidentally left the tuner on when taking pictures)

I have two that live on the back of my main ukes, they manage to fit snug on the back of my sopranos which is cool. If only the metronome it has made a sound it would be really useful.
Btw, d'addario also make a tuning fork which I bought last week just out of curiosity..

I believe that's a battery saving warning, it then turns itself off

I have two that live on the back of my main ukes, they manage to fit snug on the back of my sopranos which is cool. If only the metronome it has made a sound it would be really useful.
Btw, d'addario also make a tuning fork which I bought last week just out of curiosity..
I am very lucky I guess with my hearing, I have had my A 440 tuning fork for it seems an eternity. The piano was the only means other than the fork available to me in the early 50's. I just tune the A string to the fork and go from there. Also the fork never needs a battery replacement.
giggle giggle.

I am not too happy with the D'Addario I have. I bought it for my wife after reading Barry's review. It is a bit small for my liking, and though I might get used to its diminutive screen, I would not get used to the buzzing vibrations that come from the tuner if left on a uke while you play. I have tried tightening the tuner to the headstock to no vail. It still buzzes. And due to the nature of the ratcheting attachment system its a bit of a pain to install and uninstall everytime I tune.

I use a BOSS guitar tuner my brother bought for me. Its huge and has a very large screen but it has a spring clip to attach it to the headstock, so its quickly installed and removed. And it doesn't buzz.

I too have one on each of my ukes and basses. One or another might not be quite accurate, so I just replace it with another.

I got my first one with my baritone uke, prior to which I'd never had or wanted a clip on tuner. I fasten mine close to the nut on the underside of the headstock, similar to Louis, only I clip it to the treble side and swivel it around to face me on the bass side. I have subsequently purchased 2 more when I found them on sale for $16/pair, and they don't really "live" on any particular instrument, but get passed around accordingly, saved to have a spare, or whatever (I just have a hard time passing up a good deal!) So far, I have not experienced any buzzing, rattling or other extraneous noise from these tuners. Maybe I've just been lucky.

And yes, I too still have my original A-440 tuning fork from 1963 when I first started to learn violin. It's on my music stand or desk, and gets used often. It's pretty easy to tune a firths-tuned instrument (which all of mine are) just from the A and listening for the perfect interval - of course, with the extended sustain with a bow, it's a bit easier than on a plucked instrument. I also have a Korg CA-30 tuner, which has gotten used when I've put new strings on an instrument, until the intonation settled. Or to carry around to see which pitch was coming from the fence post when the gate latch hit it (a somewhat sharp D), and things like that. I can be a little weird that way.

bratsche

buzzing vibrations that come from the tuner if left on a uke while you play.
This is weird, so weird I can hardly believe it. I have 8 or 9 of these and never ever heard a buzz coming from the tuner.
But I must admit it doesn't fit to all headstocks - some are just too thin for a snug fit of the clamp. But on these occasions a tiny bit of cardboard always helped me building up enough tension.
If you like, take some pictures from all directions so we can have a deeper look into the buzz.

This is weird, so weird I can hardly believe it. I have 8 or 9 of these and never ever heard a buzz coming from the tuner.
But I must admit it doesn't fit to all headstocks - some are just too thin for a snug fit of the clamp. But on these occasions a tiny bit of cardboard always helped me building up enough tension.
If you like, take some pictures from all directions so we can have a deeper look into the buzz.

Haha. Pictures from all directions? So weird you can hardly believe it? It sounds like you are questioning my honesty.

It's a tuner. Its a piece of plastic with plastic buttons and electronic circuitry. It has a hard plastic surface that contacts the ukulele when installed. Why is it so difficult to believe I might be experiencing vibrations with my particular D'Addario tuner? It buzzes with vibration when left on any uke of the 3 ukes in the house, or when simply used for tuning any of the ukes. This is the experience I have had. I am glad you have not experienced any problems. I don't believe your experience is being falsely presented nor do I think you are a shill for the company.

I've had a clip-on tuner that also buzzed when the instrument played certain notes (frequencies), though it was a different brand. The buzz came from inside the casing and really only happened with some notes -- when shaken, it didn't rattle.

Top Bottom