PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with tuning

MistySmith
03-30-2017, 11:22 AM
Hey guys,

I hope you will be able to help me since I can't find an answer anywhere on the internet.
Recently I bought a cheap ukulele to learn how to play first. It came by post with very loose strings as it said it would. I have checked youtube videos on tuning and used an online tuner.
I noticed I can tune to the right tone (according to the online tuner connected to my computer microphone) with quite loose strings (I can put a whole finger under the string on fist chord) or if I tighten the strings quite a lot I can go an octave higher and again get the right tone with very tight strings. Since I am a complete beginner I don't know how loose the strings should be, so which one is right?

Thank you!

jimavery
03-30-2017, 11:33 AM
I would say the tighter of those two. If you tried to go an octave tighter than that again, then the strings would surely break!

p.s. Welcome to UU Forums!

p.p.s. This video might help

http://youtu.be/RAMw1irSVQ8

DownUpDave
03-30-2017, 11:53 AM
On the tuning app on my phone the correct octave is 4. As in each string registering the note and the octave beside it ie. G4, C4, E4, A4 the strings are tight and I cannot slide my finger under them

Louis0815
03-31-2017, 12:50 AM
I can tune to the right tone (according to the online tuner connected to my computer microphone) with quite loose strings (I can put a whole finger under the string on fist chord) or if I tighten the strings quite a lot I can go an octave higher and again get the right tone with very tight strings.
Any (online) tuner not showing the octave together with the current note is pretty useless IMHO. Of course every note is available in every octave - but not every octave is the right one to tune to (as you have already experienced). Your C should be the middle C on a piano and the corresponding A should be ~440Hz.
Rather than online tuner I would use a phone app, there's plenty out there for free.