Kala ASMT or Pono PTO?

buddhuu

Super Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
I seem to have found a buyer for my beloved mandolin (*sob* :( ) which means I can buy the tenor uke I'll be playing in the band in future.

As I live in the UK there's really nowhere I can try ukes before buying. If there were I would try the ukes and answer my own stupid questions! :D

I'll be playing into a condenser mic mostly, as I prefer the sound to that from a pickup, but I also have a pickup that I will fit. Playing into a mic means that it would be good if the uke could be as loud as possible, so that is a consideration.

Within my budget (well, just outside, actually, but what the hell...) are Kala's all solid mahogany tenor, and Pono's PTO. Both are solid mahogany throughout.

I know someone else has just asked about the Kala tenor in another thread, but as I'm asking for input on a specific comparison, please excuse me starting a new thread rather than hijacking that one.

I'd be grateful for any input or opinions regarding these.

Suggestions of Mainland, Ohana and other ukes not mentioned in the thread title are not needed, thanks. I'd need to get those from the US, and I'm planning to buy within Europe (for practical reasons, not political).

Thanks, guys. :)

Forget it.

I ran out of patience and ordered the Kala! :D

LMFAOOOOOOOOOO

ok deach

If I had a choice.....honestly....I would of bought the Pono. Although most of the construction of both brands are in foreign lands, the Pono is dressed and fine tuned here in Hawaii which to me is great. Besides, I just sold a PKT Pono whiich was awesome.....why sell if so awesome.....thinning out the collection to make room for a Custom.

To be honest, If I had gone with the Pono I really would have been pushing my luck financially. Even £250 - £300 is a very big deal to me at the moment. I think that was the deciding factor.

Maybe next time. If there's a next time. ;)

Edit: Setup is no problem for me. I can usually get my string instruments playing and sounding pretty much up to their potential. Even if the Kala arrives with action like a circus high wire, I'll be able to adjust it in an evening.

Last edited:
To be honest, If I had gone with the Pono I really would have been pushing my luck financially. Even £250 - £300 is a very big deal to me at the moment. I think that was the deciding factor.

Maybe next time. If there's a next time. ;)

Edit: Setup is no problem for me. I can usually get my string instruments playing and sounding pretty much up to their potential. Even if the Kala arrives with action like a circus high wire, I'll be able to adjust it in an evening.

o, there WILL BE a next time. :cool:

I GUARANTEE it! ;)

Nothing I like more than a firm guarantee! :D

Best prepare myself to bow to the inevitable, then!

Sounds good! :music:

Grrr... still waiting for mine!! :D

Well to answer the question for future buyers....

To me the Pono has a heavier head, beefier feel, it seems to have "more wood" to it than the Kala's do.
You can feel a difference when moving your fingers around the fretboard the Pono feels smoother but the necks feel narrower "strings closer to the edges" to me.
As far as sound both having Aquilla strings the Kala has a lighter tone where the Pono is a little deeper, both are quite full in tone.

My local shop has both and I play them alot when hanging out there and one of my playin buddies has the PTO Tenor.

A couple weeks ago I was checkin out the ASMT against the KA-T both with Aquillas looking for to get one for Low G. I could tell the solid/lam sound difference between the two but was it worth the money to me.... no seein as It will be a beater Low G playin outside in the low humidity/hot sun of the Denver mountains.

[...] To me the Pono has a heavier head, beefier feel, it seems to have "more wood" to it than the Kala's do [...]

Heh heh, some of that is probably metal :) On the Hawaii Music Supply video on Pono ukes, Aaron says that they have an adjustable truss rod fitted.

Not sure how useful that is in practical terms on a nylon strung, 4 string, low tension instrument - but I quite like the idea on tenor and bari. Always reassuring to have a rod or bar in the neck.

Just as well my order didn't ship immediately. I've asked them to hold it ...

I might bite the financial bullet on that extra £50 and get the Pono instead. It'll probably mean not eating for a while but WTF. :D

Update!

I've stuck with the Kala.

I had tried one of these Kalas a while back and thought it was fine, but I didn't know if the Pono would be better. Well, yesterday I did get a chance to play a Pono PTO owned by a feller from Holland who is visiting a mate of mine. (Also had a go on his old Martin soprano :) ).

Well, from what I remembered of the Kala I tried, this Pono was a bit quieter and a little... well... muffled. The strings seemed to be very close to the edge of the fretboard too. A couple of times I pulled the A string off the edge of the board while fretting chords.

I wasn't keen on his odd yellow strings either. Anyone know what they are? Never seen them before.

It's nice enough, but I think the Kala will suit me better, so I've left the order as that and ordered a case upgrade instead of the more expensive uke.

same situation here... have to buy it, cant test it. i look on youtube for sound samples and such but its definetly not as good as playing itfor yourself..

for me, i would have gone for the PTO.

Update!

I've stuck with the Kala.

I had tried one of these Kalas a while back and thought it was fine, but I didn't know if the Pono would be better. Well, yesterday I did get a chance to play a Pono PTO owned by a feller from Holland who is visiting a mate of mine. (Also had a go on his old Martin soprano :) ).

Well, from what I remembered of the Kala I tried, this Pono was a bit quieter and a little... well... muffled. The strings seemed to be very close to the edge of the fretboard too. A couple of times I pulled the A string off the edge of the board while fretting chords.

I wasn't keen on his odd yellow strings either. Anyone know what they are? Never seen them before.

It's nice enough, but I think the Kala will suit me better, so I've left the order as that and ordered a case upgrade instead of the more expensive uke.
The yellow strings are Ko'olau golds. When I first received my Pono I did not like them either, I found that if I let my nails grow out the strings produced a wonderful rich sound, not as loud as my Kala but way better sound.

Having now had first hand experience of both, I'm totally comfortable that I've chosen the one that suits me best out of the two.

As I often play into a mic, I think the Kala will project better and louder for that. I seem to remember the Kala having a narrower neck too (although that may be an illusion caused by string spacing... not sure). I have pretty small hands so that's fine with me.

When it arrives I'm gonna bite the bullet and do one or two uke videos. I have some songs in mind and I finally figured out how to get my camcorder to shoot 16:9. :p

The yellow strings are Ko'olau golds. When I first received my Pono I did not like them either, I found that if I let my nails grow out the strings produced a wonderful rich sound, not as loud as my Kala but way better sound.

** Slaps head ** Doh! The clue is in the name, innit? Should have been able to work that out for myself. :eek:

I'll get me coat...

Top Bottom