Rhythm vs. lead playing with guitars and ukes...opposite.

jer

Reaction score
I'm not sure why I never really thought about this until today, but here it is...

If there's a duo of acoustic guitar players, in the vast majority of cases the rhythm player is going to have the larger guitar (often a dreadnought) and the lead player is most likely to have a concert size instrument to cut through the mix more.

With ukulele, it seems like soprano is usually thought of as more of the rhythm instrument, whereas the larger tenor is more often used for leads...just the opposite from the guitar players as far as size and sound goes... brighter vs warmer..

I know you can use any uke for rhythm or lead, but just speaking in general here...If you knew you were going to see an uke duo and you saw only a soprano and tenor on stage, you'd probably expect to see the lead player pick up the larger tenor.

Just an odd realization...Maybe I have too much time on my hands today. haha.

Last edited:
Years ago in a Fred Sokolow class he suggested that the high hat on a drum set was a great model for the rhythm strum on a ukulele as the soprano with a high G is the natural to mimic it. Also you can use a pause for the bass drum thud that the hearer will interpret correctly.

Seems to me finger picking is easier on a tenor, which would be my reason for using that size. Your point actually makes me think, if I knew I would be playing rhythm with someone finger picking, I might use my uke with the least projection (my custom gypsy/jazz), just so it would not be overpowering.

One rule for duetting is to stay out of each others frequencies as much as possible to that the two instruments remain seperate - either by focussing on lower/higher register or by using a different kind of instrument (archtops and smaller guitars tend to emphasize mid-range frequencies, dreadnought emphasize bass frequencies, ukuleles have stronger trebles). Both instruments have to sound different enough, either by build or by playing style.

Second thing is sheer volume: the ukulele has to be able to keep up with the larger guitar without drowning out.

For ukulele-guitar duets the frequency thing is already dealt with, but for the volume question a lot of sopranos will not cut it, unless the guitar player takes it easy. Although with a really good soprano...

Two nights ago I heard an old Martin soprano played by a really good musician in a small venue (40 persons), and his rhythm guitar playing buddy needed amplification while he didn't.

Top Bottom