PDA

View Full Version : The Barons first time busking!

Baron K
04-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Today I finally did it! I played my uke in the streets of Stockholm! I made a bet with the guys at work that I could earn my lunch as a street musician - and I did!

Since it was my first time I chose a pretty calm spot, but still made 60 SEK (10$?) in less than an hour. It was scary at first, but once I got into it I loved it! I can really recommend the experience.

Next time I'll have someone video tape it...

Cheers

The Baron

buddhuu
04-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Congratulations, Baron! :shaka:

Getting up on stage with the band doesn't faze me at all, but I really don't know if I would have the nerve to busk solo in the street...

Judging by your YT videos I'll bet you did a great job. Good playing and that distinctive voice... Hell, I'd throw you a couple of quid/bucks/Euro/SEK (whatever) if I was there! :D

Well done.

ukeshale
04-27-2009, 02:05 AM
congrats! that's awesome. you play anything from your youtube account?

grappler
04-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Thats awesome Baron!
i wanna try it one day!!

Baron K
04-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys! I was scared shirtless until I played the first chord and sang the first word - after that it was a breeze. Well, I was a little uneasy until I got my first tip...

I played some Petty, GnR, Dylan, Marley...stuff like that. Threw in the Aristocats song too.

Now I can't wait to do it again!

deach
04-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Congrats! I should try to "earn my lunch". I'd finally lose some weight.

buddhuu
04-27-2009, 02:22 AM
congrats! I should try to "earn my lunch". I'd finally lose some weight.

lol .

Baron K
04-27-2009, 02:22 AM

I was thinking about putting a little sign to get peaple to pay more like "Im saving upp for a Ferrari" or "Help me pay for my liposuction". Or "I'm saving up for a real guitar".

I'm sure you'd make a bundle, just because you're so cute - remember what David Lee Roth said: It doesn't matter how good you are, the only thing that matters is how good you look!

HaileISela
04-27-2009, 02:23 AM

sounds like a plan, I'll accompany you!^^

buddhuu
04-27-2009, 02:24 AM
[...]It doesn't matter how good you are, the only thing that matters is how good you look!

Oh crap. I'm screwed on both counts... :(

Denno
04-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Awsome baron! I have been thinking about doing the same thing this summer, if I get good enough by then. :)
Just to try something different.

Kick ass bet! :D

PS. You should really bring a cam and have someone record you while you play. Would be awsome to see in your youtube. :)

Baron K
04-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Awsome baron! I have been thinking about doing the same thing this summer, if I get good enough by then. :)
Just to try something different.

Kick ass bet! :D

PS. You should really bring a cam and have someone record you while you play. Would be awsome to see in your youtube. :)

Just get out there and play - it's very good for practicing, plus people are just passing by so you don't really have to know more than a couple of songs.

I'll def record something soon!

cMejilla
04-27-2009, 03:26 AM
Today I finally did it! I played my uke in the streets of Stockholm!

I'll have to try that while i'm here in Jönköping

JT_Ukes
04-27-2009, 03:26 AM
That's great!

so the cops did.t run you off?

:)

dirk.li
04-27-2009, 03:34 AM
You're courageous Robin! In my city you need a special permit to play outside (yes, we are in Germany! :wtf:) or they will fine you 35 EUR (46 $) when they catch you playing unauthorized. Around Xmas 2008 I got me such a permit but on the days I had chosen it was so f... cold that I didn't do it. I really want to try it again this summer and I'll also have someone videotape it.

What really intrigued me was trying to travel the world just with the ukulele for a while. And after that writing a book about it or just keeping an online log or so. If you ever decide to set out for such a quest (or anybody else), I'll come with you! :D

What I'd like to ask you:
Did you learn the songs you played by heart? (For me that's the hard thing, because I'm used to always reading the lyrics...)

UkeNinja
04-27-2009, 03:35 AM
Great that you went out in front of the people to show your stuff! I played in a park this weekend, but all people looked at were the kites they were flying around me...

+1 for a video next time, and you didn't tell us what you ate yet.

dominicfoundthemooon
04-27-2009, 04:39 AM
NICE JOB B.. i love busking.. and for me at least.. that littler nervious feeling NEVER goes away.. i feel it each time for about the first 5 min.. i have yet to BUSK with my uke.. but he weather is so nice now.. it is about that time.. and i will post a video for sure..

busk on b.. busk on..

HaileISela
04-27-2009, 04:52 AM
I was thinking about putting a little sign to get peaple to pay more like "Im saving upp for a Ferrari" or "Help me pay for my liposuction". Or "I'm saving up for a real guitar".

I'm sure you'd make a bundle, just because you're so cute - remember what David Lee Roth said: It doesn't matter how good you are, the only thing that matters is how good you look!

"Need money to upgrade to six strings" - wouldn't even be a lie, there nothing wrong with having a six-string-Uke...

Baron K
04-27-2009, 04:55 AM
I don't have a permit - I don't think you need one in Stockholm (maybe if you're a full band with amps n stuff?). I was a little nervous when a cop cruiser drove by really slow, but they didn't tell me to stop, so I guess it's not a capital crime...

I only perform songs that I know by heart - would seem funny to bring a note stand with lyrics and stuff. But know I feel I have to rehearse some more songs.

Today I've done
B. Marley: Redemption song // No woman no cry
Guns n Roses: sweet child of mine
T. Petty: Free falling // Into the great wide open
Jimi: Castles made of sand // Wind cries mary // Red house
Dylan: Like a rolling stone // All along the watchtower
Neil: Helpless // Old man
Aristocats: Everybody wants to be a cat
Journey: Lights
Bon Jovi: wanted dead or alive // Never say goodbye
R. Johnson: Come on in my kitchen
+ a few more I think...

I'll throw in some maiden and stuff next time I think. Hard rockers are always very giving...

Cheers
Baron

HaileISela
04-27-2009, 04:58 AM
You're courageous Robin! In my city you need a special permit to play outside (yes, we are in Germany! :wtf:) or they will fine you 35 EUR (46 $) when they catch you playing unauthorized. Around Xmas 2008 I got me such a permit but on the days I had chosen it was so f... cold that I didn't do it. I really want to try it again this summer and I'll also have someone videotape it.

What really intrigued me was trying to travel the world just with the ukulele for a while. And after that writing a book about it or just keeping an online log or so. If you ever decide to set out for such a quest (or anybody else), I'll come with you! :D

What I'd like to ask you:
Did you learn the songs you played by heart? (For me that's the hard thing, because I'm used to always reading the lyrics...)

Good to know that this is not just the case in Schwerin. Though I think they changed the laws lately, there has been more busking on the streets...

UkuEroll
04-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Not surprised you earned some bucks, just been watching your malted milk vid, great voice. Did you work that out yourself or are there tabs for it?

Regards

seeso
04-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Right on, Baron! Very cool. :shaka:

Baron K
04-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Not surprised you earned some bucks, just been watching your malted milk vid, great voice. Did you work that out yourself or are there tabs for it?

Malted Milk, like most of my stuff, is just my take on the song - not very close to the original. I haven't tabbed any songs myself, but on ukehunt they did some tabs for my version of "come on in my kitchen".

Glad you reminded me of that song - I'll include it in my next "set" if I can remember how I played it...

Cheers

sukie
04-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Good for you, Baron. Hats off to you.

UkuEroll
04-27-2009, 07:12 AM
I haven't tabbed any songs myself,

That makes it doubley impressive, keep it up. Off to make sure I'm subribed to your UT site
Regard :bowdown:

shanifawni
04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
congrats Baron! sounds like you had a lot of fun!

I want to busk really badly! I'm not sure my hometown has a good place to busk though, our downtown is kinda lame.:/

anyway, keep rocking Stockholm. you should def try the "saving up for real guitar" sign, that'd be tooo funny

Baron K
04-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I want to busk really badly! I'm not sure my hometown has a good place to busk though, our downtown is kinda lame.:/

Just go out there and busk the heck out of and it won't be lame anymore!

cpatch
04-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys! I was scared shirtless until I played the first chord and sang the first word - after that it was a breeze. Well, I was a little uneasy until I got my first tip...
Next time start with some change in your uke case (or whatever you're using to collect tips)...people are less likely to tip if they're the first ones to do so. Take some out when it gets to be more than a few bucks (or your equivalent) though...people are also less likely to tip if they think you don't need it!

Baron K
04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Next time start with some change in your uke case (or whatever you're using to collect tips)...people are less likely to tip if they're the first ones to do so. Take some out when it gets to be more than a few bucks (or your equivalent) though...people are also less likely to tip if they think you don't need it!

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended)!

Howlin Hobbit
04-28-2009, 05:56 AM
Next time start with some change in your uke case (or whatever you're using to collect tips)...

Close, but no cigar.

Do not start out with change in your case unless you're only interested in getting chump change. Start out with a bill or two.

Remember the classic "hat line"... "No applause please, just throw money. And remember that paper money doesn't leave those nasty bruises."

Also, re: signage... I used to have a sign that said "All donations gratefully accepted. Help send this boy to Julliard!"

I loved it, but I got tired of the "What's Joolerd?" comments from the mouth breather contingent. *sigh*

FatBaldGuy
04-28-2009, 06:23 AM
That is so cool, Baron. I always give something to buskers, even the bad ones, because it takes a lot of heart to put yourself out there in front of everyone.

Here in New Orleans we get some very good street performers. In the summertime I will often go down to Jackson Square just to watch them.

FBG

Baron K
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Do not start out with change in your case unless you're only interested in getting chump change. Start out with a bill or two.

Yeah, that's wat I've been told... Will do that the next time. Only have a lousy gig bag to the soprano were the bills would blow away, so I might take the concert the next time. Nice big case that could hold millions...

mealfrog41
04-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't have a permit - I don't think you need one in Stockholm (maybe if you're a full band with amps n stuff?). I was a little nervous when a cop cruiser drove by really slow, but they didn't tell me to stop, so I guess it's not a capital crime...

I only perform songs that I know by heart - would seem funny to bring a note stand with lyrics and stuff. But know I feel I have to rehearse some more songs.

Today I've done
B. Marley: Redemption song // No woman no cry
Guns n Roses: sweet child of mine
T. Petty: Free falling // Into the great wide open
Jimi: Castles made of sand // Wind cries mary // Red house
Dylan: Like a rolling stone // All along the watchtower
Neil: Helpless // Old man
Aristocats: Everybody wants to be a cat
Journey: Lights
Bon Jovi: wanted dead or alive // Never say goodbye
R. Johnson: Come on in my kitchen
+ a few more I think...

I'll throw in some maiden and stuff next time I think. Hard rockers are always very giving...

Cheers
Baron

First off, that's really cool what you're doing.. I would love to get out and do that sometime.

Secondly, do you have a vid of you doing Jimi? I would really like to see that, especially Redhouse.

Baron K
04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
do you have a vid of you doing Jimi? I would really like to see that, especially Redhouse.

Most of the songs are posted on my YT channel (in my signature below), including red house. I'm not to proud of that version though since it was my absolute first encounter with the my first uke...

mealfrog41
04-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks, man that's great. Any chance of a Red House tutorial? I would love to learn it.:worship:

Baron K
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks, man that's great. Any chance of a Red House tutorial? I would love to learn it.:worship:

Thanks buddy! Well, it's really the most basic blues in A (A7/D7/E7) with some improvised pentatonic blues licks. I play it differently every time. Just play along with a couple of times and then throw in your own licks and you'll be good to go.

bbycrts
04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
AWESOME! Baron's busking has made me feel all motivated to give it a try this summer when weather in Portland, OR, is good for it. So I got to thinking, "What playlist would I put together for myself to learn?" First thing that popped into my head was Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive". I Googled "ukulele dead or alive" and the first hit to come up was Baron's YouTube cover of it! It has to be a sign (and his cover is fantastic, by the way!).

deach
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
AWESOME! Baron's busking has made me feel all motivated to give it a try this summer when weather in Portland, OR, is good for it. So I got to thinking, "What playlist would I put together for myself to learn?" First thing that popped into my head was Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive". I Googled "ukulele dead or alive" and the first hit to come up was Baron's YouTube cover of it! It has to be a sign (and his cover is fantastic, by the way!).

Such an awesome cover!

benmealer
04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
or you could try to tell the that "this is my manager phillip. phillip(phil up) the bucket(or hat)"

sorry im so late on this thread. good stuff, robin. good to hear that you're getting out there. i don't understand why a city would outlaw busking or even make people get licenses. do they think culture will spread too quickly? it was nice over here last weekend and me and nobu went to central park and played. didn't really busk but had people stoping to watch and a bunch of people taking pictures. deff not as scared to play in front of random people anymore.

i want to go to sweden.

Monkeyswithladders
04-30-2009, 02:33 PM
That's super cool Baron. Killer set list too. My favorite song you do is definitely Castles Made of Sand. You should throw in The Number of the Beast and Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution next time-- those are freaking amazing as well. :shaka:

Howlin Hobbit
05-02-2009, 10:14 AM
or you could try to tell the that "this is my manager phillip. phillip(phil up) the bucket(or hat)"

Hot damn! A hat line I've never heard before. And it's a good 'un!

Thanks!

veep
05-02-2009, 10:39 AM
cool !!!!!!!!!!!!

Baron K
05-04-2009, 04:48 AM

Nice one Ben - but it doesn't really work in Swedish.... I'll have to figure out something else...

That's super cool Baron. Killer set list too. My favorite song you do is definitely Castles Made of Sand. You should throw in The Number of the Beast and Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution next time-- those are freaking amazing as well. :shaka:

Thanks man! Yeah, I'll def through in some more hard rock next time. People seem to dig the cute little uke delivering some badass rock songs...

Thanks all of you for the support! I'll probably do it again later this week - and then I'll bring the camera for sure!