The Barons first time busking!

Baron K

Reaction score
Today I finally did it! I played my uke in the streets of Stockholm! I made a bet with the guys at work that I could earn my lunch as a street musician - and I did!

Since it was my first time I chose a pretty calm spot, but still made 60 SEK (10$?) in less than an hour. It was scary at first, but once I got into it I loved it! I can really recommend the experience.

Next time I'll have someone video tape it...

Cheers

The Baron

Congratulations, Baron! :shaka:

Getting up on stage with the band doesn't faze me at all, but I really don't know if I would have the nerve to busk solo in the street...

Judging by your YT videos I'll bet you did a great job. Good playing and that distinctive voice... Hell, I'd throw you a couple of quid/bucks/Euro/SEK (whatever) if I was there! :D

Well done.

Last edited:
congrats! that's awesome. you play anything from your youtube account?

Thanks guys! I was scared shirtless until I played the first chord and sang the first word - after that it was a breeze. Well, I was a little uneasy until I got my first tip...

I played some Petty, GnR, Dylan, Marley...stuff like that. Threw in the Aristocats song too.

Now I can't wait to do it again!

Congrats! I should try to "earn my lunch". I'd finally lose some weight.

I was thinking about putting a little sign to get peaple to pay more like "Im saving upp for a Ferrari" or "Help me pay for my liposuction". Or "I'm saving up for a real guitar".

I'm sure you'd make a bundle, just because you're so cute - remember what David Lee Roth said: It doesn't matter how good you are, the only thing that matters is how good you look!

Awsome baron! I have been thinking about doing the same thing this summer, if I get good enough by then. :)
Just to try something different.

Kick ass bet! :D

PS. You should really bring a cam and have someone record you while you play. Would be awsome to see in your youtube. :)

Last edited:
Awsome baron! I have been thinking about doing the same thing this summer, if I get good enough by then. :)
Just to try something different.

Kick ass bet! :D

PS. You should really bring a cam and have someone record you while you play. Would be awsome to see in your youtube. :)

Just get out there and play - it's very good for practicing, plus people are just passing by so you don't really have to know more than a couple of songs.

I'll def record something soon!

Cool!

You're courageous Robin! In my city you need a special permit to play outside (yes, we are in Germany! :wtf:) or they will fine you 35 EUR (46 $) when they catch you playing unauthorized. Around Xmas 2008 I got me such a permit but on the days I had chosen it was so f... cold that I didn't do it. I really want to try it again this summer and I'll also have someone videotape it.

What really intrigued me was trying to travel the world just with the ukulele for a while. And after that writing a book about it or just keeping an online log or so. If you ever decide to set out for such a quest (or anybody else), I'll come with you! :D

What I'd like to ask you:
Did you learn the songs you played by heart? (For me that's the hard thing, because I'm used to always reading the lyrics...)

Great that you went out in front of the people to show your stuff! I played in a park this weekend, but all people looked at were the kites they were flying around me...

+1 for a video next time, and you didn't tell us what you ate yet.

Last edited:
NICE JOB B.. i love busking.. and for me at least.. that littler nervious feeling NEVER goes away.. i feel it each time for about the first 5 min.. i have yet to BUSK with my uke.. but he weather is so nice now.. it is about that time.. and i will post a video for sure..

busk on b.. busk on..

I was thinking about putting a little sign to get peaple to pay more like "Im saving upp for a Ferrari" or "Help me pay for my liposuction". Or "I'm saving up for a real guitar".

I'm sure you'd make a bundle, just because you're so cute - remember what David Lee Roth said: It doesn't matter how good you are, the only thing that matters is how good you look!

"Need money to upgrade to six strings" - wouldn't even be a lie, there nothing wrong with having a six-string-Uke...

I don't have a permit - I don't think you need one in Stockholm (maybe if you're a full band with amps n stuff?). I was a little nervous when a cop cruiser drove by really slow, but they didn't tell me to stop, so I guess it's not a capital crime...

I only perform songs that I know by heart - would seem funny to bring a note stand with lyrics and stuff. But know I feel I have to rehearse some more songs.

Today I've done
B. Marley: Redemption song // No woman no cry
Guns n Roses: sweet child of mine
T. Petty: Free falling // Into the great wide open
Jimi: Castles made of sand // Wind cries mary // Red house
Dylan: Like a rolling stone // All along the watchtower
Neil: Helpless // Old man
Aristocats: Everybody wants to be a cat
Journey: Lights
Bon Jovi: wanted dead or alive // Never say goodbye
R. Johnson: Come on in my kitchen
+ a few more I think...

I'll throw in some maiden and stuff next time I think. Hard rockers are always very giving...

Cheers
Baron

You're courageous Robin! In my city you need a special permit to play outside (yes, we are in Germany! :wtf:) or they will fine you 35 EUR (46 $) when they catch you playing unauthorized. Around Xmas 2008 I got me such a permit but on the days I had chosen it was so f... cold that I didn't do it. I really want to try it again this summer and I'll also have someone videotape it.

What really intrigued me was trying to travel the world just with the ukulele for a while. And after that writing a book about it or just keeping an online log or so. If you ever decide to set out for such a quest (or anybody else), I'll come with you! :D

What I'd like to ask you:
Did you learn the songs you played by heart? (For me that's the hard thing, because I'm used to always reading the lyrics...)

Good to know that this is not just the case in Schwerin. Though I think they changed the laws lately, there has been more busking on the streets...

Top Bottom