Really Useful Music Company

Pirate Jim

Reaction score
I read a thread the other day pointing out that we're quick to complain if a company provides poor service but slower to give recognition when they deserve it. In light of that... I ordered some Aquila 33U soprano strings from the RUMC this week. They sent me Aquila 59U concert ukulele strings. When I requested a return they declined it and just sent me the 33Us as well, within about 2 hours of me writing to them. I was well impressed!

Curious what you'll think of the 33U when you get them! By far my favorite strings for D tuning.

That is nice to hear, thanks for sharing.

I will give a shout out to Strings By Mail for their excellent service. If an item is out of stock they will ship out the other items and when the back ordered item arrives they ship that out seperately and do not charge for the shipping cost. It is a little thing but it has always impressed me.

Curious what you'll think of the 33U when you get them! By far my favorite strings for D tuning.

It was your comments about them in the D tuning thread that made me want to try them out - I'll let you know once they're on and settled!

I read a thread the other day pointing out that we're quick to complain if a company provides poor service but slower to give recognition when they deserve it. In light of that... I ordered some Aquila 33U soprano strings from the RUMC this week. They sent me Aquila 59U concert ukulele strings. When I requested a return they declined it and just sent me the 33Us as well, within about 2 hours of me writing to them. I was well impressed!

The Roswell United Methodist Church sells strings now?

The Roswell United Methodist Church sells strings now?
I don't know about Roswell United Methodist Church, but there is this guy in Brown County, Indiana who sells ukuleles and he is a pretty accommodating fellow as well.

these must by living water strings.......says right on the package "made in heaven"

lol!!!!!!!

Yep - I can vouch for RUMC too. Not a bricks and mortar store I don't think, but good service. For a while they were the only place you could get the highly regarded bowl back Clearwater ukuleles too.

Yep - I can vouch for RUMC too. Not a bricks and mortar store I don't think, but good service. For a while they were the only place you could get the highly regarded bowl back Clearwater ukuleles too.

Just to confirm the others' stories of good service, I have one of those very ukes Barry mentions: what I call my "long-neck baritone" - despite being advertised (online) as having a 19" neck, the neck on the uke that arrived was a whole 4" longer(23")! Everyone was telling me I'd bought a tenor guitar by mistake!

Anyway, as soon as I became aware of the unusual dimensions, I rang them up (they're based in Co. Durham, in the NE of England), initially to confirm that I hadn't been sent a tenor guitar by mistake.

Immediately I outlined the reason for my query, they offered to take it back - even though it was 'B-stock'. To be fair, under the terms of the UK's 'Sale of Goods Act', they would have been obliged to if I'd insisted, as the article 'was not as described', but the offer to take back was immediate and unprompted (I think I was actually speaking to the proprietor). The first thing he said was "Is it satin finish or hi-gloss?" "High-gloss" "Ah! I know what's happened here!". He apologised for the confusion, and gave me the whole story of the history of these ukuleles. Long story short, the unannounced change in scale-length was a mix-up on the part of the suppliers, but it was definitely a baritone ukulele.

Once I'd had this confirmed (that it was a baritone ukulele, albeit of unusual dimensions, and not a tenor guitar, I decided not to take him up on his offer and kept it.* Since in all other respects, its other characteristics were the same (eg., the body is the same dimensions) as their 19"-neck baritones, and on the basis that you can have a 'long-neck' soprano, I've decided I've got myself - by accident! - a 'long-neck' bari!

As to it being 'B-stock', my friend, the incomparable Philippe Dubreille, checked it out for me. Between us, we found one tiny drop of glue on the headstock, which polished out in a second. That drop of glue knocked some £120 off the price! So it's really worth watching their site for B-stock specials.

http://www.rumc-ltd.com/about-us/

*The uke originally came fitted with baritone gCEA strings (tuned gCEA, but one octave lower than standard. This is my review here: Clearwater Roundback Single-Cutaway Electro-Acoustic Baritone: Review

I didn't get on with those strings and (because of the length) replaced them with classical guitar ADGB strings tuned up to DGBE: Clearwater Baritone Ukulele Pt 2 (linear DGBE tuning)

Those strings improved the sound some, but the D string (tuned G) kept giving way, so in the end I went for dedicated (linear DGBE) baritone strings. I used Living Water. In spite of the extra length, they proved to be fine, and really improved the tone yet again. Didn't bother reviewing it a 3rd time, but to give you a taste, here's Mystery Train.

Last edited:
If that's the one near Durham, I purchased a pineapple and a tenor from them, plus a reduced (slightly damaged) case. Also had a bodhran fom them. Great value. Might not be top of the range but certainly VERY decent instruments for the price.

The main man was happy to discuss instruments with me, readily admitted his bodhrans were from SE Asia (although some people sell them as "Irish") and even sent me a set of strings for my birthday. They were even prepared to issue me bills/receipts in Polish (I had to send a template).

I fully endorse these guys.

I recently acquired a Clearwater round back baritone ukulele from "Really Useful Music Co." In May 2021. It arrived in perfect condition in nine days from the UK. I couldn't be happier with it. Great service, and lots of shipping information...

Top Bottom