Headstock inlay preference

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
Building my first ukulele, a tenor with a Redwood top and quilted Maple sides and back. I have a strip of Koa going up the back. Planning to use Koa binding on the instrument. Rosette is bird's-eye maple, neck will be Alaskan yellow cedar. I have considered putting a similar thickness strip of Koa up the neck -that would be about three eighths of an inch or so in width.
I am planning to use bird's-eye maple for the fretboard and had thought about bird's-eye maple for the headstock veneer.
Here is where my lack of ability as an artist exposes itself. Thought about doing a pearl inlay of one word length on the headstock, probably vertically between the tuning keys on a veneer of figured Koa. Or I could go with ebony on the bird's-eye maple.
Do you have any preferences; do you have any photos of things you like in this regard? Looking for some help from someone with a better eye than me. :)
Thank you, very much

Ebony Headstock with Koa binding is very attactive. Cutting out a full word and doing it well is not the easiest task. But you certainly will get a lot of good experience. I say use an ebony background because misfit areas are easily filled with ebony dust and CA or ebony dust and black exoxy. I believe you will find a single letter difficult enough for your first trip to the rodeo.

I'm giving serious consideration to hiring that inlay done. From what I have seen from videos I agree with you. Since so much of this project was done with wood that I came by relatively inexpensively, I don't mind spending in an area that is out of my expertise. (Fact is, all of it is out of my expertise. :)) One day, I hope to be able to do that sort of thing. Can't wait to show you pictures as I progress.

My two cents worth is: Since it is a first build, don't get too hung up about the artistic side of peghead inlay, etc. etc, but instead concentrate on building a structurally sound instrument that will last and sounds good. The bling will come later. Some of the best looking instruments ever built on this forum had no inlay or bling at all. Apply the KISS principle of building: Keep it Simple Stupid. Also nobody on here can tell you what is going to look good. Only you will know that. Follow your vision and see how it turns out.

You just got advise from THE most skilled individual producing inlayed ukuleles on the planet, Mr. Moore in the prior post!
I'd only add you might want to stick to something simple for your first attempt at inlay. I've only made one uke and had to simplify the planned inlay of my initials after repeatedly breaking the "P" so I wound up with just a "V" which is my last name initial. Good luck with your project.

Here's my headstock.
IMG_0124.jpg

You just got advise from THE most skilled individual producing inlayed ukuleles on the planet, Mr. Moore in the prior post!
I'd only add you might want to stick to something simple for your first attempt at inlay. I've only made one uke and had to simplify the planned inlay of my initials after repeatedly breaking the "P" so I wound up with just a "V" which is my last name initial. Good luck with your project. Here's my headstock.
View attachment 99061

I love it! Sometimes you just have to adapt the original idea to current reality. Plan B! Turning the 'P' into a 'V' was inspired. I'm sure there were a few moments of "oh s**!" that sucks but you pulled that one out of the fire and you know what? it looks great. I love a good recovery story. Recovery from mistakes both big and small is a part of my building process. It is kind of what makes it all so much fun. And then there are the mistakes that are not fun.... not fun at all.

Any pics of the Uke? I'd love to see it :)

Top Bottom