koaloha old vs. new design

merlin666

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy an NOS old design long neck soprano uke. I think the main difference is that it has a koa fretboard and bridge and carved headstock logo.l really like the way it plays and sounds and would buy it if the price was right. I'm wondering if anyone has compared the new and old design koaloha and can outline some of the advantages and disadvantages. Also what might be a good price for me to offer to pay?

I have an opportunity to buy an NOS old design long neck soprano uke. I think the main difference is that it has a koa fretboard and bridge and carved headstock logo.l really like the way it plays and sounds and would buy it if the price was right. I'm wondering if anyone has compared the new and old design koaloha and can outline some of the advantages and disadvantages. Also what might be a good price for me to offer to pay?

One needs to define old. The carved bridge isn't really old:) It is a newer design that may seem old to those new to the uke scene. Do you have pics? As far as a fair price?
I paid $500 for my wife's long neck soprano from KoAloha. Another idea, is to look at the new price and take 25% to 35% off if it is in good shape.

I think that last year they switched over to rosewood fretboard and abalone logo on the headstock. So this uke has the design before those changes. I tried to post this thread before with links to pictures but it didn't work may not have been approved. It is a new uke.

Last edited:
It is really just a few changes to the looks. They were world class instruments before the inlayed logo, no difference to the build, design or bracing so they sound the same, play the same and pretty much look the same.

As far as price for a NOS maybe 10% below new........some people like the look of the old one better so you might not get a discount at all.

I think that a switch from koa fretboard to rosewood might be more than just cosmetic. This is also interesting in light of CITES where some manufactures are now preferring ebony.

I think that a switch from koa fretboard to rosewood might be more than just cosmetic. This is also interesting in light of CITES where some manufactures are now preferring ebony.

The switch to a rosewood fretboard is not going to make it sound noticably different. At one point I owned a Koaloha Opio concert in sapelle and a Koaloha KCM 00 which is koa, I owned them at the same time. They sounded very similar with the Opio being a bit warmer. I have played and owned ukes with ebony, rosewood, koa, maple and walnut fretboards, it doesn't matter.

I would say that there aren't really any advantages or disadvantages, just some different design elements. Along with the switch to Rosewood fretboards and Abalone logos, there was a slight price increase (inlaying abalone is more expensive than having a machine cut the logo).

One small advantage of a Rosewood fretboard over Koa is that Koa is a bit softer and therefore, will dent more easily from fingernails and such. However, with new regulations for Rosewood AND Pearl, I assume that KoAloha is considering changing their design again (other companies are in the process of replacing Rosewood and Abalone on their models).

If you like the sound and look, go for it. The starting point for determining a fair price would be to find out how much this model cost new in the year it was made.

I paid ($940) but I love it, new style with the rosewood fingerboard. You can get them now for $799 at HMS (one left at that price). That doesn't help much I know, I haven't ever played the earlier models however I do like the look of the rosewood fretboard and abalone headstock.

Here's a little something recorded sitting on the couch the other night.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6skysppyidqynii/File Apr 02, 7 45 30 PM.m4a?dl=0

Last edited:
I paid ($940) but I love it, new style with the rosewood fingerboard. You can get them now for $799 at HMS (one left at that price). That doesn't help much I know, I haven't ever played the earlier models however I do like the look of the rosewood fretboard and abalone headstock.

Here's a little something recorded sitting on the couch the other night.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6skysppyidqynii/File Apr 02, 7 45 30 PM.m4a?dl=0

I'm sure you will get many years enjoyment from this. Very nicely played! What song is this?

I'm sure you will get many years enjoyment from this. Very nicely played! What song is this?

I almost sold the Koaloha not long ago, convincing myself that I was mainly a tenor guy. I came up with the tune right after I decided to keep the soprano, kind of celebration that I didn't sell it.

Last edited:
I almost sold the Koaloha not long ago, convincing myself that I was mainly a tenor guy. I came up with the tune right after I decided to keep the soprano, kind of celebration that I didn't sell it.

A worthy celebration! Very nice tune! I recently acquired a Koaloha Opio, with much thanks and gratitude to DownUpDave. The undertaker will be prying it from my old wrinkled hands LOL. You have a very nice line-up of ukes - each with unique strengths. Congrats!

A worthy celebration! Very nice tune! I recently acquired a Koaloha Opio, with much thanks and gratitude to DownUpDave. The undertaker will be prying it from my old wrinkled hands LOL. You have a very nice line-up of ukes - each with unique strengths. Congrats!
Rigor mortis will ensure they cant :p!

Thanks Keod! Play it in good health!

Is there usually a case included with koaloha ukes?
I don't think they have a factory included case, but some sellers include one as part of the purchase.

I hope you enjoy the uke if you get it. I wouldn't worry about it being a bit older model. They make some really great instruments. I don't currently own one, but have in the past when they were less expensive. I used to have one of their Pikake sopranos when you could get them for $300 from Elderly Instruments. I should've kept it...but surely didn't know at the time how they were going to take off and increase in price and success and such. I'm happy to see them doing so well. My contact with the people there (Paul mostly) was a really positive experience.

Unfortunately I did not have a chance to go to the store again. But at least now I know what l want as my next uke. May be hard to find a used or other NOS though.

I had an older concert version and swapped it for a new one and there are a few differences I liked. First they really put a ton of effort with the new ones in looks. They still have the same old loud KoAloha sound, but the looks is what they really worked on. The finish is more glossy (if you decide to go with that type), I feel like they are very light, the headstock is abalone instead of etched, the fretboards are rosewood, and I believe they're using a higher grade of koa. I believe before only the tenors came with rosewood fretboards. If you're really into the looks, I think that's the difference with the new and old.

Top Bottom