New Tenor Guitar Project

BlackBearUkes

Reaction score
Some might be interested in tenor guitars so here are a few photos of a recent commission I did for a local client. This guitar has a 23.5" playing scale, with 12 frets to the body. The body shape is the older look with a tobacco sunburst nitro lacquer finish. 20 year old Sitka spruce top with a few bear claw marks in the wood. The back. sides, fingerboard and bridge are rosewood, H. mahogany neck with adjustable truss rod. The binding are white vinyl to give it that old Gibson look. These things are sure fun to play, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 2017-3-24 Sunburst tenor guitar-a.jpg
    2017-3-24 Sunburst tenor guitar-a.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 141
  • 2017-3-24 Sunburst tenor guitar-b.jpg
    2017-3-24 Sunburst tenor guitar-b.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
WOW! Super nice. I have migrated from the regular Baritone uke in low G - C tuning with nylon strings to a steel string version. I find the tenor nut width too thin so I have modified an old Stella 3/4 guitar from 6 to 4 strings at 21.5 scale length. Anyway, I could not afford to have my dream instrument built but what you have here sure is sweet.
All the best
Stu

Absolutely love that sunburst. Beautiful work!

fantastic!

Wonderful guitar, Duane. I've used a 23.5" scale for a lot of various instruments and find it pretty special.

The client who had this guitar made wanted close to the same scale as the early Martin tenors, which is 23.2". I just took the 24.9 Martin scale and dropped the first fret. Its a little longer but the slightly added tension certainly doesn't hurt the sound and volume. Thanks to all for the comments.

Wonderful guitar, Duane. I've used a 23.5" scale for a lot of various instruments and find it pretty special.

Top Bottom