Olapa rhythm

Cassie

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am curious to know which is the correct way to do the olapa rhythm. My friend says that you go up down up up, but a video on YouTube says you go up down down down. I think it supposed to resemble the rhythm of the Hawaiian drum called an Ipu. . If you can make audio or video recordings that's fine.

The typical strum is D D D DU, with the third beat accented to drive the rhythm. The fourth beat (the DU) is not accented. I am not familiar with the other strums you mentioned. Hope that helps.

There's more than one way to play an olapa strum.

These are the two I have used. The Olapa cycle, which is two beats, actually begins on the upbeat. For purposes of these diagrams, T = thumb, I = index finger, U = up, and D = down; I indicate each beat as the space between vertical lines; the beginning and end of each measure is indicated with a double vertical line. For each cycle, the first two notes are 16th notes, which I indicate by connecting them with a hyphen. The other strums are eighth notes. I use a / to indicate the beginning of each two-beat cycle. I hope these make sense.

1. | .... / TU-IU || ID IU | ID / TU-IU | ID IU | ID / TU-IU || ID IU | ID / TU-IU | ID IU | ID / .... |

2. | .... / ID-IU || ID ID | ID / ID-IU | ID ID | ID / ID-IU || ID ID | ID / ID-IU | ID ID | ID / .... |

The way I sound it out is Ba-da bum bum bum

If you use the strum that involves your thumb, it's important that you flick your thumb up while your index finger remains below the strings (where it should be because the motion just before you use your thumb is moving your finger down). If your finger travels across the strings with your thumb, it will be out of position for the motion following the TU motion, which is the IU motion.

Last edited:
There's more than one way to play an olapa strum.

These are the two I have used. The Olapa cycle, which is two beats, actually begins on the upbeat. For purposes of these diagrams, T = thumb, I = index finger, U = up, and D = down; I indicate each beat as the space between vertical lines; the beginning and end of each measure is indicated with a double vertical line. For each cycle, the first two notes are 16th notes, which I indicate by connecting them with a hyphen. The other strums are eighth notes. I use a / to indicate the beginning of each two-beat cycle. I hope these make sense.

1. | .... / TU-IU || ID IU | ID / TU-IU | ID IU | ID / TU-IU || ID IU | ID / TU-IU | ID IU | ID / .... |

2. | .... / ID-IU || ID ID | ID / ID-IU | ID ID | ID / ID-IU || ID ID | ID / ID-IU | ID ID | ID / .... |

The way I sound it out is Ba-da bum bum bum

If you use the strum that involves your thumb, it's important that you flick your thumb up while your index finger remains below the strings (where it should be because the motion just before you use your thumb is moving your finger down). If your finger travels across the strings with your thumb, it will be out of position for the motion following the TU motion, which is the IU motion.

Unfortunately, I am blind so I cannot see your diagram. It's best to use simple words or audio or video recordings with good description. Sorry for your trouble.

Unfortunately, I am blind so I cannot see your diagram. It's best to use simple words or audio or video recordings with good description. Sorry for your trouble.

Sorry about that. I didn't know you were blind.

Here's a video tutorial on the olapa strum. A few words about the video first. The woman in the video uses the phrase "await for me" to describe cadence of the strum, but it doesn't account for the fact that there are two quick 16th note beats at the beginning. I would use a phrase more like "you can wait for me." with the words "you can" spoken really quickly as the first two 16th note bits of the strum. After she demonstrates the strum, there's a section that may not be helpful to you about holding the ukulele and playing the chords for the song she plays to demonstrate the strum. The song is in the key of C and the chords she plays are C, C7, D7, F, and G7, although she modulates at the end. Then she plays the song with her bass player husband, which should give you a good idea of the phrasing of the strum. As you listen, remember that olapa is a two beat strum that begins on the upbeat of the previous beat. It may help you to count the beats while you listen to see how the strum cycle (the "you can" part of the phrase) begins just before the first and third beats of the measure.

The woman in the video doesn't really describe the hand movements of the strum in as much detail as you might like, so following the video in this post, I try to describe in words the diagrams I made in my earlier post, using the phrase "you can wait for me." It may help as you listen to the video to repeat the phrase "you can wait for me" for each cycle of the strum.

One other tip. When I learn a strum, I find it useful to bank out the strum on the back of my ukulele first, to get a feel for its rhythm. It may help you to try that as you listen to the video.

So, here's the video.

I hope you enjoyed the video. Now that you've watched it, I try to describe the mechanics of playing the strum by translating the chart from my earlier post into words. I play this strum one of two ways:

1. This first version of the olapa strum uses my thumb and index finger. I start with my hand between the strings and the floor (on the A string side of the ukulele). For the "you can" part of the phrase, I flick my thumb up for "you" while leaving my fingers below the strings, bring my index finger up for "can", and then move my index finger down for "wait," up for "for" and down again for "me." My hand is then in position for me to flick my thumb up for the next "you." I needed to learn this strum by playing it very slowly for a long time.

2. This second version of the strum uses only my index finger. I start with my index finger between the strings and my face, on the G string side of the ukulele. For the "you can" part of the phrase, I move my index finger down and then up again. For the "wait for me" part of the phrase, I move my index finger down three times, once for each of the three words "wait for me."

In general, I prefer the first method, which is the strum that involves my thumb, because I don't have to move my hand so fast and my hand is more relaxed, allowing me to vary the stress I place on the strings each time I strum the strings and allowing me to be more expressive. However, it took me forever to learn how to flick my thumb up across the strings while leaving my index finger below the A string so it's in position to stroke upward for the word "can" in the phrase "you can wait for me."

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I didn't know you were blind.

Here's a video tutorial on the olapa strum. A few words about the video first. The woman in the video uses the phrase "await for me" to describe cadence of the strum, but it doesn't account for the fact that there are two quick 16th note beats at the beginning. I would use a phrase more like "you can wait for me." with the words "you can" spoken really quickly as the first two 16th note bits of the strum. After she demonstrates the strum, there's a section that may not be helpful to you about holding the ukulele and playing the chords for the song she plays to demonstrate the strum. The song is in the key of C and the chords she plays are C, C7, D7, F, and G7, although she modulates at the end. Then she plays the song with her bass player husband, which should give you a good idea of the phrasing of the strum. As you listen, remember that olapa is a two beat strum that begins on the upbeat of the previous beat. It may help you to count the beats while you listen to see how the strum cycle (the "you can" part of the phrase) begins just before the first and third beats of the measure.

The woman in the video doesn't really describe the hand movements of the strum in as much detail as you might like, so following the video in this post, I try to describe in words the diagrams I made in my earlier post, using the phrase "you can wait for me." It may help as you listen to the video to repeat the phrase "you can wait for me" for each cycle of the strum.

One other tip. When I learn a strum, I find it useful to bank out the strum on the back of my ukulele first, to get a feel for its rhythm. It may help you to try that as you listen to the video.

So, here's the video.

I hope you enjoyed the video. Now that you've watched it, I try to describe the mechanics of playing the strum by translating the chart from my earlier post into words. I play this strum one of two ways:

1. This first version of the olapa strum uses my thumb and index finger. I start with my hand between the strings and the floor (on the A string side of the ukulele). For the "you can" part of the phrase, I flick my thumb up for "you" while leaving my fingers below the strings, bring my index finger up for "can", and then move my index finger down for "wait," up for "for" and down again for "me." My hand is then in position for me to flick my thumb up for the next "you." I needed to learn this strum by playing it very slowly for a long time.

2. This second version of the strum uses only my index finger. I start with my index finger between the strings and my face, on the G string side of the ukulele. For the "you can" part of the phrase, I move my index finger down and then up again. For the "wait for me" part of the phrase, I move my index finger down three times, once for each of the three words "wait for me."

In general, I prefer the first method, which is the strum that involves my thumb, because I don't have to move my hand so fast and my hand is more relaxed, allowing me to vary the stress I place on the strings each time I strum the strings and allowing me to be more expressive. However, it took me forever to learn how to flick my thumb up across the strings while leaving my index finger below the A string so it's in position to stroke upward for the word "can" in the phrase "you can wait for me."

I hope this helps.

I've heard that rhythm before but I did not know what motions you were supposed to make win. how it was supposed to be played. Just for the sake of being silly, today I was doing the dusting in my house and I started thinking and that same rhythm. Go bust that dust, go bust that dust, go bust that dust

There seem to be various versions of this around: some more complex with thumb and index finger, some just with index finger; some beginning with down others with up stroke; some with alternating up and down strokes, and others with several down strokes in a row. Is there some agreed on pattern that is most efficient?

Also when is it better to use a triplet strum and when an 'olapa?

Top Bottom