Finally choosing my first Uke

MEngler

Reaction score
I am looking at several from Mims Ukes, all in my price range. One Kala and several Ohana (she carries a lot of them). All come with setup, which was a selling point. I've had my hands on a Kala locally and have found videos on YouTube for all of them.

The first two are just about the same, at the same price.

Kala KA-T and Ohana TK-10

The others are mostly various steps up from there.

Ohana TK-20S (solid top instead of laminate Mahogany)
Ohana TK-15W (laminate willow)
Ohana TK-22 (solid Spruce top/ Mahogany)

What are your thoughts?

Hi,

Personally, I slightly prefer Kala over Ohana (based on ukes I've owned) but both are decent brands. I would go for a solid top over all-laminate. The choice between spruce and mahogany really is down to individual taste. Typically spruce tends to sound brighter and mahogany tends to sound a bit mellower.

You've made the first correct decision already - going with Mim. I've bought several from her and she will not steer you wrong. And you absolutely need the setup, especially in this price range.

My vote would be for the 20S, unless you prefer the spruce sound as jollyboy said, in which case I'd go with the 22 or 70R.

Have you asked Mim which one she would recommend? In my past experience, a reputable dealer that knows what they are doing will:

A) Order you what you ask for
B) Give a solid recommendation if you are on the fence

In the case of B, they will ask other guiding questions trying to make a good suggestion.

They want you to be happy, so that when you come back for ukulele #2, they are first on your list!

My vote would be for the 20S, unless you prefer the spruce sound as jollyboy said, in which case I'd go with the 22 or 70R.

I figured it was an easy jump up to the 20S. I like the sound of the spruce on the 22. The willow on the 15 is a bit mellower, but not as much as mahogany, based on the videos I could find. What's drawing me to that one, though, is the really unique pattern of the wood.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8TwAAOSwL7VWm80J/s-l1600.jpg

Mim is doing her quarterly inventory right now. I figured the turnaround time on commentary would be quicker here. Also, based on glowing reviews here, any uke from her will be good.

Last edited:

If you're into spruce (and can stretch your budget a little) that 70R is a pretty nice-looking uke. But then I'm a sucker for a slotted headstock... :p

I'm not really into the slotted headstock. That was the only thing that kept the 70R off my list. One day, perhaps.

What's drawing me to that one, though, is the really unique pattern of the wood.
Right, as long as you realize you're paying for looks and not tone, it's not a bad choice. Then again, maybe you like that "in between" sound and it's the best of both worlds.

From your replies in post #5 and #8 though, it sounds like the 22 is your uke. Stop agonizing and just buy the dern thing. It's not like it will be the only one you ever get. :p

I'm with Jollyboy. I have a Kala and an Ohana. The Ohana isn't playable (I didn't do anything to it, it's been to a reliable luthier, too).
I still play the Kala. It came from Mim.

Right, as long as you realize you're paying for looks and not tone, it's not a bad choice. Then again, maybe you like that "in between" sound and it's the best of both worlds.

From your replies in post #5 and #8 though, it sounds like the 22 is your uke. Stop agonizing and just buy the dern thing. It's not like it will be the only one you ever get. :p

What I was trying to say in #5 was that I like the sound of both the 22 and the 15. The 15 just has the bonus of really interesting look.

I ve heard good things about ohana and kala both. With mim you can't go wrong.

So, after much deliberation, I decided on the 20S (and a padded gig bag). Mim is still doing her inventory so there will be a slight delay in shipping. My uke will arrive sometime between April 10 and April 20. Then the fun begins.

Thank you all for your advice.

solid top, whichever brand you like.

Until it's shipped, there is still time to change one's mind. :p (But like Jim said, it won't be the last uke anyway!)

Top Bottom