Good solid uke in the $250 to $400 range

ukebrudder

UU+
Reaction score
So I decided I want to upgrade to a better uke and I'm having trouble deciding on what to get. I was considering the Koa Pili Koko but the only thing that turns me away from it is that there's no pickup.

I also found a nice looking cutaway tenor made by Cordoba. I was skeptical because it claims to be solid koa, its a cutaway, and has electronics, all for $370. Seems like a good deal but at the same time $370 for solid koa seems a little too good to be true.

If anyone can give me their two cents on these instruments, as well as any other solid wood ukulele that fits my price range, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Both of the ukes you're looking at are made with the same type of wood - Acacia. Acacia belongs to the same family of wood as Koa, but it is not Hawaiian Koa.

There have been both favorable and unfavorable reports concerning the Koa Pili Koko. Most seem pleased with the sound, but there have been enough reports of cracking that warrant concern.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Cordobas, but just the fact that they advertise their instruments as solid Koa has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Yeah, Cordoba doesn't use real koa. (I've seen it advertised as "Portuguese koa"...HUH? :confused: ) The reviews have been mixed, too.

KPK is generally pretty good. Mainland is priced at the lower end of your price spectrum and they're some of the best imports I've ever played. All solid wood.

If you want to splurge a little more, check out Keli'i. Made in Hawai'i by the guy who sells Koa Pili Koko, only they're real solid koa and like half the price of Kamaka.

Yeah my friend has the new kala solid acacia already preordered. That seems to be one of the best deals around.

Lehua ukuleles are also along the same lines as other brands mentioned though they seem to be priced lower. At least Lehua says straight out their ukuleles are made from I believe Australian Blackwood a type of Acacia very close to Koa. Here in Hawaii we have the endemic native Koa, the Australian Blackwood, and the Foremosan Acacia (aka Pake Koa) growing in our forests which are closely related enough that a novice could not tell them apart both the mature trees as well as the lumber from them. I have turned bowls on a woodlathe from all 3 species, and they are difficult to tell apart, all beautiful woods. It seems that all the imported solid acacia wood ukuleles seems to have built a reputation for cracking especially in areas of the country with low humidity. Fortunately Hawaii is not one of them and the Koa Pili Koko here have held up nicely. I kind of am drawn to the Lehuas since they are Portuguese made so a direct descendant of the Madeira braguinha the grandfather of ukuleles. Only problem is you'll have to have a pickup added on.
http://www.ukes.com/lehua.html
http://www.lehuaukulele.com/

I was playing a Cordoba solid mahogany uke at Guitar Center when I bought my new guitar there weekend before last. It was nicely built, but it did not project sound like Ohana and Kala, but it is in the same price range. My impression of Cordoba is that they are over-built. They are very rugged, but, not as much volume.

Top Bottom