Bridge sliding

Harmonist

Reaction score
Hi guys I've recently purchased my first ever banjo uke (which is also my first instrument) it's an Ashbury AB-48.

The problem I'm having is I've found the bridge will not stay in place, it keeps twisting after playing for a few minutes (end closest to the first string twisting towards the tailpiece).

Now I'm an absolute beginner with everything musical so I have no idea what exactly is causing this.

Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Is the head as tight as a drum? Is the tailpiece secure and correctly aligned?

Last edited:
Are your strings tuned to pitch? That should provide more than enough pressure to keep the bridge in place. As Barrytone observes above, the next place to look would be head tightness and tailpiece alignment.

Barrytone - The vellum seemed pretty tight but as I say I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing so perhaps that is in fact the problem I will see if I can tighten it up some more tonight and get back to you on that point then then. As for the tailpiece im pretty clueless so how would I know if its aligned and secured appropriately. Thanks for the help :)

RichM - Yes all the strings are correctly tuned as far as me and my tuner app can tell. Thanks.

I'd never heard of that instrument, but looked it up and it looks really nice...As for your problem, I think you will get more ideas about this particular problem on a banjo site... Here's one thread I found:
http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/215778

Hopefully something there will be of help to you.. I'm sure there are others on that site as well.

Thanks for the help guys I tightened up the vellum and increased the pressure on the tailpiece slightly and it seems to have resolved the issue.

Top Bottom