G, D, G, B - Tenor Ukulele

Jerwin

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am planning on finishing my cigar box gutiar for so long and now I kinda have no time at all but I am so eager to try this tuning. Is it possible I can try that out on my tenor ukulele first? What strings would you recommend for this open G tuning? (G, D, G, B)

Thanks for any tip!

Jerwin

I would look at this as tuned down from a linear D tuning which would be ADF#B. Given that, I would try the Southcoast LL-NW set as I tend to favor lower tensions but the LML-NW set should work too.

I'm thinking that tuning tenor strings up which the OP's tuning implies is not really a good idea on a tenor as the tension is high as it is. How about GBDG instead? 1st & 2nd strings a tone lower, 3rd string a semitone lower and 4th string tuned the same as standard. Overall tension a little lower than standard GCEA

I don't know yet, anyway I took off bottom and top strings on my guitar to get open G 4 strings. Wow, I have to finish my cigar box guitar asap. Spent whole weekend messing around with my old guitar and slide.

Any more feedback appreciated!

At the first GNUF, I went to a workshop on open tunings. The guy running the workshop had a concert Risa stick and had problems with strings breaking (a problem on earlier Risa stick ukes) and was advocating tuning down a bit. It was quite a good workshop and we looked at one a two finger chords that could be taken up the neck but the idea of tuning down came in handy later when I first got a tenor uke as I did not like the high tension of GCEA. I eventually tuned my tenors down quite a long way - to reentrant DGBE in fact but that needed new strings as standard tenor strings were too floppy tuned that far down. If I did go for an open tuning, I think I would go for GBDG rather than GCEG which simply involves tuning the A string down a tone. That's mainly because I play in G more than I do in C as it tends to suit my voice better. I often take songs in C up to D for the same reason.

Top Bottom