New Ono Bastogne Walnut Tenor

saltytri

Reaction score
This 18” tenor was just finished. The back and sides are blond Bastogne walnut, which is unusual to say the least. The tree grew for decades in a park in Sacramento and was salvaged after it blew down. The wood is denser than most walnut that we get from that region and well suited to instrument building. Here are the specs:

Port Orford cedar top
Amboyna burl rosette
Curly koa bindings and peg head overlay
Honduras mahogany neck with radiused board
Ebony fret board and bridge
Oil finish
Strung low G with TI basses and Savarez trebles
Gotoh UPT tuners
K&K Aloha Twin pickup

33897463505_2ae90be2e3_c.jpg

33054153704_39c73d006e_c.jpg

33856580826_ab1a5184b6_c.jpg

33897459565_c65df8a5bc_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Kimo!

Really unique piece of walnut, very blonde, very pretty. I know one fella from Texas that will be very happy about this. Well done as always David

Beautiful, I love the contrast in the woods....

Always wanted to try Walnut, and POC. Nice.
It is a nice combo. Love it on my longneck concert Covered Bridge and this should be even bigger/warmer on the super shortneck baritone. :p

Wow! Seeing it (all) here for the first time, I could not be happier with the way it turned out David! I really love the subtle, contrasting tones of the woods and the organic butternut squash shape of the body. Thanks for letting me participate in the process, and kudos for absolutely nailing my request to "let the woods be the bling". Looking at it, I can sense a warm/full bodied tone with clear/sweet highs. . .

I'm glad that you're pleased so far. I hope it gets even better in a few days!

And yes, the body is spread a little just a bit, though the photos seem to accentuate it. The idea is that the longer scale can work together with a little more volume in the body.

Last edited:
Gorgeous, but I'd never have guessed that was a walnut wood set . I'd have guessed maple or cherry.

...and while the camera is out, how about a preview of builds that are in the works? Here are three tenors that I recently started. The first is cocobolo and will get a Sitka top.

33775221381_de02283aa6_z.jpg

This Bolivian rosewood will also get Sitka.

33775215421_a81fea84e0_z.jpg

Finally, what does the builder build for himself? Brazilian rosewood, of course, with an Adirondack spruce top.

33775214051_379aaee90b_z.jpg

33775212631_d78ecc5b4f_z.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous, but I'd never have guessed that was a walnut wood set . I'd have guessed maple or cherry.

I don't know what I'd have guessed. The guy who salvaged the tree and dried and rough milled the wood is a real connoisseur of walnut and had the advantage of being able to examine the bark and leaves. In case there's any doubt, here's one of the boards in my stash. The dark portion is plainly walnut and the blond portion plainly isn't sapwood. He said he'd never seen anything like it.

33519906490_2eebb797b7_z.jpg

Last edited:
Another beautiful uke David!

I don't know what I'd have guessed. The guy who salvaged the tree and dried and rough milled the wood is a real connoisseur of walnut and had the advantage of being able to examine the bark and leaves. In case there's any doubt, here's one of the boards in my stash. The dark portion is plainly walnut and the blond portion plainly isn't sapwood. He said he'd never seen anything like it.

Wow! It is amazing what nature can produce!

You're in for a treat, Kevin! :shaka:
Any idea what strings/tuning you're going to put on it? I need to start planning something. :p

Thanks Jim ~ To start I suggested the Thomastik Infeld flat wound basses (CF30/CF27) paired with Savarez fluorocarbons 542R and 541R. David said with those strings, it seems to be sitting just right in Bb. That string combination is what I generally use on tenors. With the 18" scale and the bigger body, it should have a robust tone in Bb. I just acquired a 19" baritone in a trade, and I have been experimenting with it in the Bb flat tuning, so it won't be entirely new. I'll post a sound sample next week after it arrives.

David,
Holy moly!

It is so beautiful.

You have outdone yourself on this one.

It's really great to see you prowling the boards again Jason! As you may recall, this one had your name on it originally :) You'll have to get up to Houston and give it a strum one of these days soon!

33519906490_2eebb797b7_z.jpg

That's a cool shot David! It certainly is a "one of kind" masterpiece to be cherished. . .

Top Bottom