Newbie with hideglue

That's normal. Don't use the glue that's left in the pot unless you have a use for it within the next day. It starts to spoil and degrade. You can extend it's useful life by storing it in a fridge, it should be good for a week. Months or perhaps years in a freezer. I try to mix enough for the job at hand, there's usually a little waste but it's not expensive stuff.

I make my hide glue up in a small glass jar. Store it in the fridge when not in use, and place it in a water bath in my hot pot to heat and use it.

For me, 2 tablespoons of granuals will be enought to build an entire uke with bindings.

If your glue ever grows mold on it, toss it out.

I checked the spare glue today. It is starting to get a little brownish and the jelly consistence isn´t as obvious. If I keep it for some weeks maybe it will harden enough to do the job in the joints so I don´t need to reglue them. :confused:

Last edited:
The joint should be fine - in bulk hide glue takes ages to set hard, but in a thin layer takes only a few hours.

If you're worried, reheat your glue and smear a thin layer on some wood. Check next day - i bet it's like glass.

Or glue two bits of scrap together and the try to prise them apart the next day.

Ie, don't panic!

I checked the spare glue today. It is starting to get a little brownish and the jelly consistence isn´t as obvious. If I keep it for some weeks maybe it will harden enough to do the job in the joints so I don´t need to reglue them. :confused:

The glue that's in the pot has absolutely nothing to do with what is in the joint. The joint will certainly be dry within 24 hours. Much less if you are gluing up in a warm dry place.

Top Bottom