Recommendations for beginner material for 9 yr old

jjdejd

Reaction score
Any info, websites etc to help this young lady get started would be appreciated. She is getting an Ohana SK-22 from Mim for Easter. Thanks.

Last edited:
One and two chord songs. Dr. Uke has a good site. "Happy Birthday......Row row row your boat....."

I just posted about this...but YouTube is her friend. Particularly the work of the Ukulele Teacher. She will be able to play songs that she wants to learn, which will be crucial.

If a student is motivated to learn, they will spend HOURS with their ukulele and YouTube. One of my great joys after introducing many students to the ukulele is having 10-12 students who go home and play their ukulele until their parents ask them to stop. That seems like a bad ratio (12 out of 400) but I know of very few music students (taught in a "traditional" music class) who do the same on any other instrument. I'm a music teacher and I only practiced as much as I had to. Today it isn't uncommon for me to play hours at night, even playing all day long with my choirs.

I just posted about this...but YouTube is her friend. Particularly the work of the Ukulele Teacher. She will be able to play songs that she wants to learn, which will be crucial.

If a student is motivated to learn, they will spend HOURS with their ukulele and YouTube. One of my great joys after introducing many students to the ukulele is having 10-12 students who go home and play their ukulele until their parents ask them to stop. That seems like a bad ratio (12 out of 400) but I know of very few music students (taught in a "traditional" music class) who do the same on any other instrument. I'm a music teacher and I only practiced as much as I had to. Today it isn't uncommon for me to play hours at night, even playing all day long with my choirs.

I like the Ukulele Teacher site. I think I can work with it. Thanks.

Have her google ukulele, chords and lyrics, then the name of her favorite song(s). Don't forget she can slow down the YouTube tutorials if need be. This may or may not be a little "young" for her: https://ukulele4kids.com/

Have her google ukulele, chords and lyrics, then the name of her favorite song(s). Don't forget she can slow down the YouTube tutorials if need be. This may or may not be a little "young" for her: https://ukulele4kids.com/

I'd suggest the same - get a list of her 10 favourite songs and then sort them from simple to harder (I'll bet many of them will be the typical four chord song anyway). I'd bet she'll be more motivated learning songs she likes rather than the usual nursery rhymes. When I learnt guitar as an eight year old it was all contemporary/pop songs that you could have a sing along with which made it a lot of fun.

Make sure it's music that she likes.
Many years ago I got my son playing by teaching him his favorite Green Day song.
Once he learned songs the he related to I never had to tell him to practice.

Great idea. I just asked her mom for a list of her favorite songs. Thanks.

Top Bottom