Bridge question

Kala is the only maker I have seen that use these bridges on some of their instruments. It makes for a nice clean setup. I am sure there are probably other makers that employ this type of bridge too.

This is a Gilbert bridge. Not the most common, but not a rare design in the classical guitar world. I have a couple of Talsma ukuleles with Gilbert bridges.

I have a uke with a 12 hole bridge. Same theory on string break. Kind of cool, not sure if it is really any better than the standard tie bridge.

John

I don't think the Gilbert bridge is intended for any technical benefit. It's a style. Nothing more. As for the tech side, most guitars with this bridge have the bass strings wrapped as intended and the trebles require an additional wrap on the lower side of the bridge. So, it ain't perfect.
I asked for it on my customs for the look. I think it's elegant. Nothing fancy, a little bit different without any flash.

I have an inexpensive Lanikai that has bridge like that and I love it how fast and easy I can tie the strings. For me it's a plus, I wish it were not common.

Eugenio

Top Bottom