Cedar Top Strings

BigD

Reaction score
Ive tried over and over to love a low g on my new tenor and i just for the life of me can not. Low g just doesnt suit me and idk if it ever will. Anyone else have this issue? Also im looking for recommendations on strings for a cedar top tenor (obviously not low g lol) always liked the reds but feel they may be too mellow for the cedar.

I just put some D'Addario titaniums on my Kala cedar top tenor and I am loving them :) They have the clarity of fluorocarbons but are just a little warmer IMHO.

FYI: I am using a concert set on the tenor as I prefer the gauges.

You didn't say what the make of uke was or the wood used on the back. Is it really mellow sounding, thats the impression I got. The reds are usuually considered a bright string!!! Does it need more brightness or volume. I always try and establish what I want to accomplish when changing strings. There are a great many strings that will sound good on a cedar top tenor. I have had great luck with Worth CT , Oasis bright and warm sets and South Coast HMU which are bright and loud.

Last edited:
I liked Worth browns on my Ohana Port Orford cedar...

What is it about the low G that you don't like? Is it the linear tuning, the sound of the G note itself, or the feel/response of the string itself?

If you don't like the linear tuning, but do like sound of the G, I'd say try a reentrant dGBE set from either Living Water or Southcoast.

If you do like linear tuning but don't like the G, I'd say try D tuning with a Southcoast LL-NW set.

If it is the string itself - what DUD said - just try something different.

I have concert strings on all my tenor scale ukes, gives me less tension, which I pefer. :)

This is brilliant! I have found it can be easier to overdrive a cedar top so I usually string mine with strings in the thinner side. Thinner strings will probably sound brighter/less full. I never thought to use concert strings.

John

Top Bottom