Smeck tune

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I like this one, want to learn it! Was everyone playing in D tuning back then? I love these old timey songs, there's probably a boatload of them out there, great for playing on the uke. Is this among the easiest of Roy Smeck songs? Most of the others I've heard seem to be at breakneck speed, and way more difficult. Any recommendations of other classics, that are fun to play, and not too difficult?

Last edited:
Oh wow, I hadn't heard that one before and I liked it enough to look for tab - this is the same tune, different video: http://ukuleledavarnaudd.free.fr/documents/waltz of yesteryear - vincent cortese.pdf

D Tuning was commonplace in the U.S. in the first half of the last century - when the change to C tuning in the U.S. happened I've never gotten a definitive answer on, but if anybody has one, please set me straight.

As for other classics - you might enjoy the Ukulelezaza books. The arrangements are really simple and straightforward but are wide open for embellishment as you progress.

As for other classics - you might enjoy the Ukulelezaza books. The arrangements are really simple and straightforward but are wide open for embellishment as you progress.

I just bought his three books, looking forward to getting them! (He has some copies of volume 1 left.)

I just bought his three books, looking forward to getting them! (He has some copies of volume 1 left.)

Good to know that Volume 1 is still available, it might be my favorite of the three. I think you will enjoy them.

This thread got me to revisiting Roy Smeck for the first time in years, and I found this documentary about him that was really good - it's old, but I had never seen it before.

Interesting. Is it easy enough for beginner players though? The Youtube videos of others playing the Ukulelezaza arrangements are quite complicated for me already. Probably because I can only play stuff like crazy g or five-foot-two so far, where the left hand doesn't move that much...

Just curious, out of his three books, which one is the easiest?

Interesting. Is it easy enough for beginner players though? The Youtube videos of others playing the Ukulelezaza arrangements are quite complicated for me already. Probably because I can only play stuff like crazy g or five-foot-two so far, where the left hand doesn't move that much...

Just curious, out of his three books, which one is the easiest?

Hmmm... I suppose it depends on how you define beginner. Can you read tab? If so, you can probably find something in each of his books that you can take on. A lot of the arrangements are basically chord melodies with single notes here and there. Of course he embellishes a lot more when he plays, but you don't have to - just take your time and you'll be able to play the basics. I think all three of the books are fairly consistent - I don't see one as being easier than the others.

I can read tabs, but find lots of the tabs do not show you how to move your fingers (both the left and the right). Guess I will work on my basic hand coordination first and then give a try at these!

Love it! Thanks for sharing, I too love the vintage sounding tunes :)

Top Bottom