What do you like most about ukes?

Ukecaster

Reaction score
For me it's the small size, portability, relatively lower pricing (compared to quality acoustic guitars), and the sweet, sweet tone of a good uke, which can be played and enjoyed at very quiet volumes. For me, a long time guitarist, uke has opened the door to TONS of great old classic songs that I'd never even consider on steel string guitar. :love:

Size, simplicity, playability, feel, look, sound.

Great thread!

1) The awesome people who play them!
2) Size
3) Versatility
4) History
5) Beauty

For me it's the friendly and uncomplicated size, the light tone, and the underdog status. The latter removes expectations from others and lowers the ones I have of myself. It's fun and relaxed, with a skill ceiling as high as most instruments', but without that ceiling casting an oppressive shadow on the experience.

All the above.

everyone else nailed it. The lack of pretentiousness. The people who play ukulele are generally always nice folks too. It's not all judgy-judgerson like guitarists (not sure about banjoists).
Plus holding a guitar feels like driving a boat.

Size, weight, & tone, are my starters, especially with a low G. :)

Price, makes them both affordable, & collectable ( :eek: ).

The people who play them aren't pretentious - & they are fun to learn to play, whether you do it well or not. ;)

And then we have this forum - which brings us all together, to discuss & show off our ukes & talents to like minded people. :D

I like guitar and uke. Room for both.
I like uke for its cuteness in look and sound.
I like guitar for its depth of sound and vastness of brilliant repertoire.

I like that because, generally you only have 4 strings to play around with, that "limitation" encourages you to be a bit more creative when figuring out new tunes. Less is more in that sense. That said, I play guitar and mando too. Never had issues with other players of either. I find folk are just as willing to show you stuff and encourage you no matter what the instrument.

The great people I've got to know.
UAS
The fun of playing.
New callouses :)
New music.
Keeping my mind off my illness.

I enjoy the journey - discovering cool new things and being constantly surprised by my own progress :)

I like that at the age of 57 I was able to pick it up and after a few months I was actually making music. Three years later I am thrilled with my progress, I still have much to learn and a long long way to go. I have increased my circle of friends enormously because of the ukulele. I am having sooooo much fun with life right now. Having a passion is critical.......enter learning, playing and UAS

As many others have said, the size and portability is attractive to me. But I also like that you don't need a whole lot of gear to play it. Commit a half dozen songs to memory, grab your uke, and the next thing you know you're sitting on the beach strumming away and singing, while the waves crash on the sand in the background.

I like that because, generally you only have 4 strings to play around with, that "limitation" encourages you to be a bit more creative when figuring out new tunes. Less is more in that sense.

This. Also, I think that nothing beats the sound of a great vintage mahogany tenor uke. It moves my very soul.

The ease of getting into a ukulele, by that I mean the realitively low cost to get a decent playing instrument, learn 3 or 4 chords and you can play hundreds of songs.
The way it picks up my mood when I play.
The friends I continue to make as I play in groups and jam sessions.
The fact that I appreciate all music more as I learn to make music.

Never thought I can learn to play a string instrument, it was like love at first sight...I really like the portability, size, sound, versatility, the different woods, and it always make me smile!!!

It's the cuddle factor. No other instrument is more cuddleable :music::eek: in your ez-chair.

I can buy one for my kids without breaking the bank - and for their school class for that matter (it's a small class)

I bought one immediately after I tried a uke for the first time because it was so much fun. I play a bit of guitar too and like that it makes me think differently. I also love learning about how they are constructed. There are some pretty amazing ukes being made right now.

For me it's the friendly and uncomplicated size, the light tone, and the underdog status. The latter removes expectations from others and lowers the ones I have of myself. It's fun and relaxed, with a skill ceiling as high as most instruments', but without that ceiling casting an oppressive shadow on the experience.

Pretty much why I like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom