off topic?

Nickie

Reaction score
I hope this isn't off topic, but I am searching for something and need advice.
We are tired of lugging around fake books full of sheet music in sheet protectors in binders. We have almost a dozen binders now!
We have purchased two iPads (used) that we want to use to put our music on, much like Uncle Elvis does. We want to attach them to our mic stands (standard stands from Elderly Music) so we won't be toting around music stands or books anymore. We have two different sized tablets.
Can any of you guys tell us what you use that you like, what you've tried and didn't like, and what won't let our pads drop to the floor?
There are dozens of them on Amazon.com, and we only want to purchase once, we don't have iPad holder Acquisition Syndrome.

Nickie, I have talents Iclaw https://www.amazon.com/Talent-iCLaw-Music-Stand-Holder/dp/B00F5EDK1M. Snaps iPad in (without any case), holds securely, and just screws on to standard mic stand. One downside is that I usually unscrew it and put it in my bag when I'm done cuz it's plastic and I don't trust claws not to break, if kicked around in the trunk while attached to a heavy mic stand. I have had it for many years now tho and that has never happened. The other possible minus is that since it goes on to a mic stand, you do have to carry a fairly heavy muc stand around but they are super stable and not crazy heavy, so it's ok.

PS they have diff size claws to fit all the diff iPads but it's not practical to pop off the clips regularly to switch sizes. If you are using diff iPads frequently, you need two claws cuz it's a pain to switch. I went digital years ago. I just hated lugging around heavy binders and really like having all my music organized and accessible everywhere. Paper is still fine, if you're home, but on the go a tablet is just sooo much easier.

Last edited:
Which ever you choose, also get an OnStage mic stand quick release ($11) so you don't have to screw in and unscrew the holder to the stand. One part screws into the holder, the other to the stand, then just hold down the button and slide the holder onto the stand.

OnStage quick release.png

Which ever you choose, also get an OnStage mic stand quick release ($11) so you don't have to screw in and unscrew the holder to the stand. One part screws into the holder, the other to the stand, then just hold down the button and slide the holder onto the stand.

Wonderful! This was the only slight PIA with my IClaw. Thanks for the heads up. Going shopping now!

Nickie, one caveat just FYI, using a mic stand does put your tablet up a little high, especially if you use the quick connect. I don't mind cuz I like to play standing up, especially performing. If, say in a uke jam, you use the mic stand and like to sit, it will bring your tab up kinda high. It is still easy to see but can be obstruct folks view of you. I also occasionally use a camera tripod with a spring type clamp to hold my iPad. It's advantages are that it goes very low (which is nice when seated, it's cheap, stable, and super light weight. Downside, you might have to Mickey Mouse the connection between the camera tripod and the iPad holder (that's what I did).

Almost forgot, I use a compact light stand that can be adjusted to any height because I too found that mic stands are too tall. I also got an adapter to convert the smaller 1/4-20 thread on top of the light stand to the larger 5/8-27 mic thread, which would work for a tripod as well. Bunnyf, I'm going to look for a more compact tripod as well.

Last edited:
bunny, we always stand to perform, so height isn't going to be an issue. If we sit, we will be at a table (practicing) and will just throw it on a table top music stand to save money on a tripod....
Mike, we probably will get that adapter if it will help us set up and tear down quicker.
bunny, Mike, Kekani, Chris, thanks for your thoughtful replies!

Feel free to e-mail me (you might still have that) and I would be happy to share.

please share, that's what this forum is all about...

I have one that's very similar (also have mic stand variety). I like this camera tripod style for a few reasons. It folds up very easily and compactly and it's nice and lightweight. It adjusts height quickly and easily from very low to high. It's also very stable. It's my go-to stand when I want to travel light. The mic stand type is larger and heavier which makes it nice onstage or any situation where it might get jostled, but does not go as low. It can be viewed seated but if you had the choice (you don't) you'd probably put it lower. You can also use your conventional mic stand accessories like a swing thing to hold your uke (instead of needing a separate instrument stand or having to put it back in case) and a swirly cup holder (instead of kicking your drink over onstage). Both types are nice to have for different situations.

Top Bottom