Electric Ukulele Bridge Adjustment

JWM

Reaction score
Hi All,

I took the plunge and built a Ukulele for my wife. It's nearly finished but I could do with some advice.

In order to get the Ukulele to tune properly I had to adjust the bridge to it's limits. I had to adjust the A, E and G string saddles so that they are closer to the nut and the C string saddle further away.

uKAYlele-bridge.jpg

I was wondering if there was something else I have got wrong or if this is normal.

I should maybe add that I bought a ready made fret board.

Many thanks in advance
John

Here is the Ukulele.

uKAYlele.jpg

That looks about right. String gauges will change things. What string gauges are you using?

Anthony

Thanks for the reply Anthony,

The string gauges used are as follows:

A = .010
E = .013
C = .017
G = .011

I assume that they are all plain gauge strings. Steel strings are stiffer than nylon strings and as the gauges rise they start getting excessively stiff, and they consequentially require much more compensation to intonate correctly.

If you want to stick with plain gauge strings then that is what you will need to do. You could even remove the spring if you need more room. If you want better intonation then you need to experiment with wound strings.

Anthony

I assume that they are all plain gauge strings. Steel strings are stiffer than nylon strings and as the gauges rise they start getting excessively stiff, and they consequentially require much more compensation to intonate correctly.

If you want to stick with plain gauge strings then that is what you will need to do. You could even remove the spring if you need more room. If you want better intonation then you need to experiment with wound strings.

Anthony

Thanks for the replies Anthony. I will bear the advice in mind as I have enjoyed the building process so I am sure there will be more projects in the future.

Top Bottom