Blackbird Farrallon Tenor-anyone own one out there?

darylcrisp

Reaction score
thinking hard about purchase of one. I did a search here but came up empty-I probably didn't word it right.

Anyone with a lot of hands on, would love to hear your thoughts.

I owned a Clara, really liked that, I'm more used to tenor size and I think I would like one with radius.

thank you
d

I have a Farallon that I initially bought to have an uke of good quality resistant to low humidity.
It's actually much better than just good! Wide dynamic, nice tone, very loud and perfect intonation.
I ordered mine directly from Blackbird to have some custom features. In addition to a Misi pickup I asked for a side sound port, a string-through bridge and a gloss top (flat fretboard).
I guess if you already owned a Clara the main difference will be the scale length (surprising :)), and the shape which in my opinion is easier to play with.

I have a Farallon as well. It has an incredibly big voice- more like a classical guitar when finger picked. Strummed it has a big warm uke sound. I like how it doesn't sound thin way up the neck as some tenors do. Playability is great and that without a radius fingerboard. Plugging in has been another revelation- very versatile. This clip is unplugged recorded using a Shure condenser mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snEg7c--K_w

Last edited:
In your title you spelled it incorrectly (It is "Farallon" not "Farrallon"), so that may have been your problem with searching. I just typed "Farallon" in the search engine and came up with this result.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/search.php?searchid=8700335

I was torn between both of them and, while I like the traditional shape of the Farallon better, I went with the Clara because I am more of a concert player. I love it!

I had one for a week before I sent it back. It had a cosmetic flaw on the top, which was the main reason why I wanted to return it. I was offered a discount of 10%, which wasn't enough to change my mind. Also, and in the end this decided it, having it side by side with my Barron River tenor for a few days, I realized that I enjoyed the BR more. It has a lighter, sweeter tone that appealed more to me than the darker tone of the Farallon, while being just as loud. That said, though, I thought the Farallon was an exceptional sounding instrument. I didn't care for the mirror-like fretboard and the blobs of white glue inside, and it's very plain, but sound-wise it was great and noteworthy. It also played well. Just a little too mellow for me and I didn't feel that I need two higher end tenors, especially when I have one that in a direct hands-on comparison I liked better.

Last edited:
I agree, the Farallon has a dark tone but ultimately that's what sold me on it. It's definitely a contrast with the Pono tenor (rosewood with a cedar top) tuned high G. Very few tunes I play sound good on both. Playing melodies high on the neck on the Farallon and it sings. As an aside I look forward to playing a Clara one of these days.. not a one to be found in the Pacific NW.

And as a further aside, your comments about Barron River ukes got me checking those out. Intriguing instruments..

Last edited:
I had a Farallon from the first batch that I traded for a new one with pickup and optional features. I could see an improvement on the finish, the uke looks cleaner (coincidence?)
I also noticed that the side sound port made a difference for the player, the uke sounds more balanced, less "boomy".

Anyone has experience with a Farallon in high G. There is a sample by on HMS but I keep hear darker voice . I wonder how the high G is and how much a difference strings make. I'm looking at radius and side sound port.

No but I'd like one

I tried briefly DGBE using Tomastik CF35 and CF30 for the 4th and 3rd strings. I didn't like it, but it works ok-ish.
My favorite tuning with Farallon is linear "one semitone below" (F# B D# G#)

Can you post pictures of your Farallon? Would love to see the side sound port and string-through bridge, not to mention hearing a sound sample!! You chose your options very well!

I have the Farallon in Southcoast strings re-entrant Bb (fBbDG) and really like it. I am not a huge fan of the tension on tenors tuned up to the usual gCEA.

I have not held one, nor played one but I do have one on order. I have listened to lots of sound samples and Coreys (HMS) 7 minute review and sound sample clinched it for me. He has played everything from $50.00 to $13,000.00 ukes and if he was that impressed with it I think I'll be a happy camper. Just my 2 cents.

Can you post pictures of your Farallon? Would love to see the side sound port and string-through bridge, not to mention hearing a sound sample!! You chose your options very well!

Here are a few pictures. For the sound sample, you better listen to Corey :)
image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpg

I definitely like the string thru bridge and sound port. That will be on my list when I order. Looks great.

If you have any interest in a Farallon, check out the comments by Ken Middleton and Corey Fujimoto in this Best of NAMM video by Ukulele Underground (starts at 9:36).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W6oMMwD01c

Last edited:
I want one of these, I like the look of Clara better but the Neck of TEnor is better for me, I was wondering about the extra soundhole - it gies more sound to me playing the instrument but is the overall sound reduced ? After all this is soundhole #3 (including the one in the neck) Thanks for pix I found wonderfull demos:
Asian fingerpicker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Tzlbyf8F4

And A German Virtuoso:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a7hC1qdkuo

I'm intrigued by the extra sound hole option as well. If I can ever get down to San Francisco I could try it and a Clara! Thanks for the great video links. Especially like Sunset at Waialua Beach by the German player.

I want one of these, I like the look of Clara better but the Neck of TEnor is better for me, I was wondering about the extra soundhole - it gies more sound to me playing the instrument but is the overall sound reduced ? After all this is soundhole #3 (including the one in the neck) Thanks for pix I found wonderfull demos:
Asian fingerpicker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Tzlbyf8F4

And A German Virtuoso:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a7hC1qdkuo

I can tell you with complete certainty that the sound port not only improves the sound to the players but to the audience as well. There were three of us with Luis at the LfdM shop (very highly respected builder) and we were listening to a baritone being played with a sound port. Luis would cover it up and even standing 10-15 away you could hear a noticable difference. It sounded more open, full and richer with the sound port open. He had a tenor with two sound ports, one each on the left and right side upper bouts. He had made covers for them and you could play with both closed, one open or two open. Again the uke sounded better completely opened up, to the player and audience.

Top Bottom