Kanilea Super Tenor! Words of wisdom welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Canada

Reaction score
I happen to be in Kuaui for a wedding. Checked out these lovely ukes!
Are these recommended in the Ukulele community? They seem to be exquisitely built and play and sound wonderful!
Are Koa wood builds respected or are they simply desired because of the limited Kia supply?
I am trying my best to control my UAS?!
Thanks, BC

You really won't go wrong with a Kanilea. Very respected brand in the uke community. As for the koa, it depends on your taste for sound. I believe it's a mix of the tone qualities and the rarity of it, but I'd say it's more tone. There's a reason why so many professional uke players play koa ukuleles.

Lets see now.........you are in Hawaii lusting after a Hawaiian made instrument from beautiful native Hawaiian koa. Yes you should buy it.

Seriously those Kanile'a are fantastic instruments built by a very well established and respected Hawaiian company. They use some of the prettiest koa available and the fit and finish is first rate all the way.

Barry Maz the ukulele reveiwer/tester has one

I had a Kanilea GL6 that used the same super tenor body. I thought it was a magnificent instrument. I think the attraction of koa is a combination of its tonal properties, the look if it is figured nicely, the origin, and probably also the relative rarity/value. Kanile'a also make a really great finish.

The measure of any instrument is whether it makes you happy. It sounds like this one does. Kanilea is a highly respected builder, and koa is arguably the most desirable ukulele wood. But nobody can tell you what to like. Do you like it?

I agree with the others, that only you can decide if you love the looks/tone. Aside from that, I would suggest you check out a few things:

1) Playability. Kanile'a have wider fretboards. Some people love that, some people despise it.

2) Personally, I like the Super Tenor for fingerstyle. However, I find it boomy for strumming. That can vary based on how you hard you play ("attack"). So be mindful of your preferred playing style.

Good luck!

Is that the one at Scotty's? I played a Kanilea there a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic, though a bit out of my price range. For buying an uke there I was also a bit concerned about importing rosewood into Canada.

Good point Merlin!
I decided not to purchase any of them! Controlling my UAS!
I tried all of them and I preferred the ukulele with the ebony fretboard!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom