UPS Security Check Delay?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Had a uke out for delivery today. Then mid-day UPS sent this message "A required security check has delayed delivery."

Anybody know what this is about, or had this message before?

Uke came from middle of Florida all the way to the delivery truck with no issues. It was trucked all the way. Surprised the uke needed to be "security checked" at the last minute. Maybe it will be delivered tomorrow. :)

I got that twice when a forum member shipped a uke from Spain to Germany with UPS. But each time the delay was just about half an hour. It would say the same as your status message the first time, and the second time mentioned an x-ray scan in addition. The delivery estimate was "paused", but resumed shortly after.

Got an update from UPS. While no attempt to deliver my package was made, tracking said:

04/19/2017 7:44 P.M. The receiver was not available at the time of the first delivery attempt. A second attempt will be made. / Your delivery has been rescheduled for the next business day.
04/19/2017 1:05 P.M. A required security check has delayed delivery.

Being home and in view of my front door at the delivery "attempt" time, I was livid. Had to call UPS to find out they really did not attempt delivery today. They gave no explanation of why it said that, except saying the security check delayed it, but wouldn't delay it another day. Guess it was too late to deliver today after "security checking" . :(

Sorry about the frustration, Hodge! But guess what? Tomorrow is New Uke Day!

:smileybounce:

Sorry about the frustration, Hodge! But guess what? Tomorrow is New Uke Day!

:smileybounce:

Thanks.

BTW I did get an answer from UPS about the Security Checks:

"As a result of a security directive issued by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), UPS now applies additional security measures. These measures include screening of packages that are shipped by air to the U.S. or are travelling through the U.S. Packages will be opened when necessary for further inspection by operations. These measures will be followed by drivers, Customer Centers, and all package centers.

Shipments impacted by these security measures include:

•Personal effects shipments
•Goods with an inadequate description or missing documentation
•Shipments paid for with personal check, shipped Bill Receiver (formally Freight Collect) or sent COD
•Shipments sent by shippers who do not have an established business relationship with UPS"

Reason #112 as for why I always use FedEx when I ship ukes....

BTW I did get an answer from UPS about the Security Checks:

"As a result of a security directive issued by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), UPS now applies additional security measures.

I didn't find any new directives when I tried to google this, but it seems like it's something that is just starting to happen? Am I remembering incorrectly that someone recently had a ukulele show up with a bomb squad needing to check the package?

I ordered a kindle from Best Buy, with free two day shipping. It came USPS and it got held up in Des Moines, thirty miles away, for three days. I wonder if it was for for the same thing as when it got to Des Moines it just said "Delayed". Anyway, from my experience Fed Ex isn't any better than UPS or USPS, and I'm thinking that they all have to live under the same Federal regulations that everyone else does.

Top Bottom