Recording with Linux - KXStudio

Doug W

Reaction score
Are any of you recording with Linux, and better still with KXStudio? I have questions but not going to start on them unless someone out there in ukeland feels fairly Linux competent and is willing to help with some issues.

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
Never heard of kxstudio. I just use audacity for recording duties.

Booli is the guy to ask but I haven't seen him around lately. Maybe try a pm?

@bnolson - I have used Audacity in Windows and Linux but want to try Rosegarden for a little more.

@Jim - Haven't heard from Booli in a while either.

@Keith - messing around a little with Rosegarden, I was able to record using the built in laptop mic so I assume using line in through my mixer will be fine, but I can't get MIDI playback on the tutorial songs. They appear to be playing, but no sound. I assume it is something I don't understand about JACK but I don't know - any thoughts?

Don't use KXStudio - way more than I need - I use audacity, guvcview, & openshot on my machines.
Been using Linux since 1999. :)

heh if we're one upping I've been using linux since fall 1991...in college at the right place and right time.

Jack is certainly a PITA to deal with. Another 3rd party tool like pulseaudio that causes more headaches.

Aside from audacity I also have used musescore (which has midi capability) but I don't know if musescore has plain midi file playback.

Jack is certainly a PITA to deal with. Another 3rd party tool like pulseaudio that causes more headaches.

Aside from audacity I also have used musescore (which has midi capability) but I don't know if musescore has plain midi file playback.

I keep things as simple as possible - KISS - but there are numerous tutorials online for almost any FOSS, & quite often specific forums for their user base.

I was going to look into MuseScore, but decided that I didn't really need it. :)

Thanks all,

I will check out links and try to get things up and running, (or not), over the next couple days and let you know what happens.

Last edited:
It appears to me that I need to load sound fonts, just have to figure out how this is done in Linux.

Well the Midi is working well enough for me. Sometimes while recording we just add a drum track to keep us in time.

After a lot of searching on the Internet this is what I did

Go to Terminal, type
qsynth

add soundfonts by clicking on SETUP in qsynth

qsynth03_sounfonts.jpg

I loaded the Soundfonts that I had from an old SoundBlaster Live CD.

qsynth02.jpg

Start Claudia to see all the connections

Start Rosegarden and open an Example Rosegarden file with MIDI

rosegarden2.jpg

I had to make one small connection in Claudia to connect the MIDI from Qsynth to Rosegarden. All the other connections shown below were made automatically by starting the respective software programs, (QSynth and Rosegarden).

Claudia02.jpg

It works for me and I don't have to buy a new version of Windows to record on this old laptop. I am not a Windows hater by any means, this just worked out for me. I will have to try out the included video stuff also.

Last edited:
Had to do a quick recording last night for my wife, we ended up recording to our old Tascam 4 track cassette recorder, then mixing down to Audacity in Windows. I really have to try out the Linux system soon.

Had to do a quick recording last night for my wife, we ended up recording to our old Tascam 4 track cassette recorder, then mixing down to Audacity in Windows. I really have to try out the Linux system soon.

audacity will work just fine in linux as well....

audacity will work just fine in linux as well....

Thanks, I will give that a shot next. I have a cardbus Indigo io sound card that should be better than the onboard sound card and this version of Linux recognizes it without extra shenanigans.

Top Bottom