Vintage Martin Style 0 Ukulele

Aloha Sailor

Reaction score
Aloha from Honolulu. I'm new to this forum and just purchased this gem today to match my Martin D15.
What year is my Martin ukulele? I found it at the guitar store near my house. It is in great condition and came with the original case. The ukulele and case looks like this was in someone's closet and was rarely played. Did I get a great ukulele for $800?
She sounds delightful and beautiful compared to my mahogany laminate ukuleles.
Stay stoked!IMG_3496.jpg
IMG_3497.jpg
IMG_3498.jpg
IMG_3500.jpg

First of all, congratulations on the new Uke!

In general, $800 is pretty high for a style 0. Typical examples usually sell in the $500 range.

That being said, from the pictures it looks to be in extraordinary condition so the higher price may well be justified, especially if it makes you as happy as it seems to.

As for the age... if you can take some pictures of the tuners and the stamp inside the sound hole, we'll have a better shot at dating it for you.

BTW, I love that D-15! I have five of the 15 series Martins myself. A twelve fret D-15S, a 12 string J12-15, a 000-15, a custom twelve fret 00-15S, and a 5-15 Terz guitar. The 15s have a warm, woody, jeans & t-shirt tone and vibe to them that just really suits my tastes.

Scooter

P.S. I would strongly recommend a more modern hardshell case for your new baby. I keep my late 40's Style 1 in one of these. If literally fits like a glove and is very sturdy.

https://smile.amazon.com/Guardian-C...=8-11&keywords=hardshell+soprano+ukulele+case

Congrats! Welcome to the vintage S-0 "owner's club"! Looks Great! The Walsh/King Martin Ukulele book is a great resource and must have for the vintage Martin Uke owner/afficianado/fan... With those pics alone seems to fall between '47 and '56, and with looks to be in excellent condition. The round (non-Waverly hex) is indicative of a '56 and older production. As SccoterD35 said, a pic of the back of the headstock to see if you likely have the Kluson #566 tuning pegs (employed '46 to '56), and what stamp is inside the soundhole will help further narrow it down... T-Frets utilized from '47 and on after bar Frets were dropped..

Enjoy your new beautiful vintage Martin S-0 Uke, it looks like the perfect partner to your D-15 Martin guitar, and the included case is a nice accessory for your S-0!

Top Bottom