Repair: bridge attachment to body

Henning

Reaction score
Hello, good morning, good day, good afternoon, good evening or good night!
I attached the bridge to the ukulele project with hideglue. I ask myself did I get it there right?
The glue wasn´t so freely flowing but rather a little solidified.

Should I:

1. break the joint, reglue the bridge and set two screws into the bridge?

2. Just set in the two screws without regluing the bridge?

3. Be the daredevil and don´t do anything just taking the guess that it would last?

The bridge has already come loose once, but then I hadn´t resurfaced the gluing surfaces, as I did last time when regluing.

Kind regards

I once went to a very interesting talk on hide glue by a scientist married to a violin maker. He explained that the water component is an essential part of the glue, and that thinner glue is stronger than thicker. (He was talking about hot glue, not brown ready-mix like Croid or Titebond.) And it does need to be hot, (though never let it boil or it loses strength). Once it starts to cool and gel it will not produce such a strong joint. That may not matter in some places but definitely does with a bridge.

If you glued it on within the last day or so, it's worth applying clamps and then gently heating the bridge with a hair dryer. If your glue liquefies and oozes our along the join, warm a few minutes more and then snug up the clamps.

If you don't get liquid glue at the join line, use a thin blade to remove the warm bridge from the top, get your glue good and liquid, and redo it. The nice thing about hide glue is that fresh glue reactivates the old, so you don't need to clean up the surfaces.

Screws just weaken the soundboard, i wouldn't use them.

Top Bottom