Great deal on Kala Comfort Edge

Interesting. I wonder why it's discontinued? It's a relatively new model. My favorite uke is my Kala cedar top tenor. This always struck me as a nice little upgrade to all solid wood. Hmmm, I may have to make room for "just one more uke"... :)
Thanks for posting!

Wow, that makes me wish I played tenor.

Kala Comfort Deal

At first I thought the price was a mistake but after contacting Elderly they said the model was discontinued and so they were offering them at a deep discount. Initially, I ordered 1 and then Elderly took the sale down the next day. When I called they said I was the only person who ordered one but they might offer them again. Looks like they are doing just that. A call to Kala (out of concern about why it was being discontinued) brought relief as the representative responded that they were just discontinuing to make room for new models. No issues with the style. I don't have any experience with Elderly so hopefully they did a little setup, lowering of action, etc. They called Friday to say they had it in stock and were shipping Monday. Looking forward to receiving it and will update when I do.

Elderly is great to deal with. They do inspect and setup your uke.

A year ago I would have jumped at this offer. I have a couple of nice tenors, but I really want a cedar topped one. Now that I have bought an all mahogany Baritone which I play the majority of the time I'm interested in a cedar topped Baritone.

Thanks for posting this! I've considered one of these for some time, but didn't want to spend the money. At this price, I couldn't resit and ordered one today.

Just got mine today. Best $300 I've spent. Beautiful instrument with perfect action. Tone is really nice compared to my kala-cem which sounds nice enough. I'm ecstatic with this purchase.
Thanks for posting this! I've considered one of these for some time, but didn't want to spend the money. At this price, I couldn't resit and ordered one today.

It doesn't appear that they are discontinuing the ce model with the cutaway which remains at high retail and on the Kala website.
So perhaps it as just the non-cutaway that wasn't selling. Regardless, it sounds beautiful and the padouk is a very subtle touch joining the darker rosewood and lighter cedar very nicely. I don't like bling but I don't find the padouk to be obnoxious at all.
Yeah, much like the recent KA-ASOV-S blowout, they seem to moving away from these models with rosewood back and cedar or spruce top, with the orange padouk bindings. They probably didn't sell well, some folks seemed turned off by the padouk, which can be kinda garish. But an all solid cedar/rosewood tenor, with the electronics for $299.00 is a sweet deal.

It doesn't appear that they are discontinuing the ce model with the cutaway which remains at high retail and on the Kala website.

I don't know if I'm happy (money not spent!) or sad (I would jump on that deal in a hot second) about this.

ETA 4/27/2017: Price jumped to $349.99

Last edited:
Hmmm, I just saw the price increase to $349.
I'm glad I'm a weak person and caved in to purchase it when it was still at $300 :)

So perhaps it as just the non-cutaway that wasn't selling. Regardless, it sounds beautiful and the padouk is a very subtle touch joining the darker rosewood and lighter cedar very nicely. I don't like bling but I don't find the padouk to be obnoxious at all.

Well, HMS just discounted the cutaway and they now have the non-cutaway version listed at $349.

I could be wrong but I think the reason they are discontinuing has more to do with the fact that Rosewood was put on protection lists in a lot of countries starting in January of this year.

Cut and Paste:
"The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) held a conference from September 24 - October 4 this year in Johannesburg, South Africa where it was decided that all species of rosewood under the genus Dalbergia and three bubinga species (Guibourtia demeusei, Guibourtia pellegriniana, and Guibourtia tessmannii) will be protected under CITES Appendix II.

Kosso - sometimes called African rosewood (Pterocarpus erinaceus) - will also be protected.

While Brazilian Rosewood is currently under CITES protection (those laws will stay in place), this move places all the other nearly 300 species of rosewood under similar regulation.

This includes the East Indian rosewood and Honduran rosewood - as well as woods like cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) and African blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) - that are widely used in the manufacturing of stringed instruments, marimbas and some woodwinds."

https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species

I snagged one of these just yesterday, http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-srt-ctg-ce-w-cutaway.html

They were going for $600+ just a few months ago.

Please help, does anyone have any information about carrying this instrument over the borders? I want to buy it, and my friend would bring it to me, to Europe. Could there be any problems or complications?

Thanks a lot !
Ilija

I think carrying on might have a better chance not getting confiscated compared to shipping it. but I wish to know the answer to this as well as I am going overseas to japan in a few months and want to take my ukulele over.

Please help, does anyone have any information about carrying this instrument over the borders? I want to buy it, and my friend would bring it to me, to Europe. Could there be any problems or complications?

Thanks a lot !
Ilija

this tenor is really good deal.

comfort edge ukuleles are really comfortable. and I love my concert one. if your looking for a concert size with comfort edge check out this place where I got mine. https://rainbowukulelehawaii.com/pro...oncert-ukulele

This isn't a definitive answer but I hope it helps.

Cut and Paste:
40. I rarely sell my guitars outside the United States, but I have a customer coming to the United
States to pick up a guitar in February. Will they be able to fly back to Japan with their
instrument?
If the individual travels to the United States and hand-carries the guitar, we will consider this a noncommercial
activity since the sale took place within the United States, and therefore it is not subject to the
CITES listing for rosewood, excluding Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra), which is listed in CITES
Appendix I. Please advise your customer to confirm with the Japanese CITES Authorities that they share
this interpretation. If they require that the guitar be accompanied by a U.S. CITES document, our office
will be able to issue one, assuming that all legal requirements are met.

https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/questions-and-answers-appendix-II-timber-listings-December-2016.pdf

This isn't a definitive answer but I hope it helps.

Cut and Paste:
40. I rarely sell my guitars outside the United States, but I have a customer coming to the United
States to pick up a guitar in February. Will they be able to fly back to Japan with their
instrument?
If the individual travels to the United States and hand-carries the guitar, we will consider this a noncommercial
activity since the sale took place within the United States, and therefore it is not subject to the
CITES listing for rosewood, excluding Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra), which is listed in CITES
Appendix I. Please advise your customer to confirm with the Japanese CITES Authorities that they share
this interpretation. If they require that the guitar be accompanied by a U.S. CITES document, our office
will be able to issue one, assuming that all legal requirements are met.

https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/questions-and-answers-appendix-II-timber-listings-December-2016.pdf

If the transaction takes place in the US, then doesn't that mean the new owner is free to travel with it given that "[The regulation] does not apply to instruments shipped within the borders of your country or instruments carried for personal use while traveling internationally [unless they contain more than 22 lbs. (10 kg) of the regulated woods]"?

Top Bottom