How thin can I go?

Chilos

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to all this, but am just into a soprano build using some fantastic (Brazilian?) mahogany salvaged from an old wardrobe. I thinned the sides down to 1.7mm, which, after a bit of trial and error, seemed the optimum thickness for bending. Trouble is, I put some scorch marks on the waist. I've started sanding them out, but I'm already down to 1.4mm with the marks still visible. I reckon by the time I get rid of them, the sides will be about 1.2mm thick (or a tad under 0.050") at the waist. Should I just go for it and maybe glue a veneer patch inside for reinforcement?
Any help and advice most welcome.

You may not need to glue any veneer patch. The waist area is fairly strong due to it being the tightest curve. Torres went as thin as 1.2 mm and that's on ribs that are much wider than found on ukulele's. Then again it may be better to call it done and accept the bit of scorching, unless you are absolutely certain that it will vanish within the extra 0.2 mm's.

Thanks. I think I'll give it a bit more of a sanding and see how it goes. Trouble is, though it's for a mate, he's paying me, so I want it to be spot-on. If it comes to it, I can always cut a bit more wardrobe up and make some more sides - without the scorch marks.

Obvious answer:
Until you can go no thinner.
(Actually a legitimate technical answer)

Now is the time to learn how to do a sunburst finish...

And you are right - I have found that 1.7mm is almost the ideal thickness for bending most tonewoods to the tight curves found in ukulele...

I'm fairly new to all this, but am just into a soprano build using some fantastic (Brazilian?) mahogany salvaged from an old wardrobe. I thinned the sides down to 1.7mm, which, after a bit of trial and error, seemed the optimum thickness for bending. Trouble is, I put some scorch marks on the waist. I've started sanding them out, but I'm already down to 1.4mm with the marks still visible. I reckon by the time I get rid of them, the sides will be about 1.2mm thick (or a tad under 0.050") at the waist. Should I just go for it and maybe glue a veneer patch inside for reinforcement?
Any help and advice most welcome.
Might be a time to consider double sides. But it's a soprano so you could be okay.

Phew! After a slow and careful sanding session, scorch marks are gone at about 1.3mm, and it still feels ok. I'll save the double sides idea - and the sunburst - for later.

Violins have 1mm sides...
Cellos have 1.5mm sides...

Top Bottom