Anyone play Tahitian Uke?

WestyShane

Reaction score
My first real life exposure to the uke was on my honeymoon in the Cooke Islands. A group of guys were playing them at the exit from the airport and also at different venues/events during out stay.

I considered buying one but I had no music experience at the time and thought it would be a dust-collector.

Now that I have some modest chops on the uke I just can't shake the sound that the Tahitian uke makes, and the way it can be controlled with the rear-facing sound hole.

http://www.easyukulele.com/tahitian-ukulele.html

Does anybody play one of these? Are they tuned like a standard uke only with 4 paired strings? Easier or harder to play?

There is a guy in our group that has one. It is regular Uke tuning except he has the strings arranged for left handed play.

I own two Tahitian ukes.

They're tuned G C E A. The G is the same as a re-entrant tuned uke. The C is the C above the re-entrant G. The E is tuned above that C (this is the same as the E strings of a mandolin). Finally the A is tuned one note above the re-entrant G.

Tahitian ukes are loud and fun to play chords on. Playing melody is a bit tricky because of the low A string, but doable.

The high tuning allows it to cut through the sound of any other instruments it's playing with.

(edited to fix info & grammar)

Last edited:
I'm going to be in Tahiti in a couple of weeks and if I were to go crazy (I'm sure my wife would think I was) and buy a Tahitian ukulele where would one do so there and are there any particular makers to keep in mind.

Thanks,

-- Gary

If you are going to Pape'ete you will find people selling Tahitian ukes on the street. The main market called Le Marche (sp?) has a couple of stores upstairs that carry quite a few Tahitian ukes.

On the other islands most outdoor markets will have them available - especially if there's a cruise ship in port.

The quality varies widely so be sure to try several ukes before making your decision.

An added tip: Tahitians love the Hawaiian ukulele (they call them all 'Kamakas' regardless of the brand), especially concerts & tenors and may offer to trade ukes with you - so bring a uke to trade if you have one.

-Aldon

edited to add: Be sure to pick up a roll of the proper sized fishing line while you're there. The right gauge is hard to find in the U.S..

Last edited:
If you are going to Pape'ete you will find people selling Tahitian ukes on the street. The main market called Le Marche (sp?) has a couple of stores upstairs that carry quite a few Tahitian ukes.

On the other islands most outdoor markets will have them available - especially if there's a cruise ship in port.

The quality varies widely so be sure to try several ukes before making your decision.

An added tip: Tahitians love the Hawaiian ukulele (they call them all 'Kamakas' regardless of the brand), especially concerts & tenors and may offer to trade ukes with you - so bring a uke to trade if you have one.

-Aldon

edited to add: Be sure to pick up a roll of the proper sized fishing line while you're there. The right gauge is hard to find in the U.S..

Aldon --

They are all over the main shopping area... I think I've found a really good way of keeping my wife away from the shopping area!

I'm not sure if I'm going to get one but I think you might have been a big help anyway. :)

You really do make me wonder how many unplayed Tahitain ukuleles must be adorning the homes of tourists... it's kind of sad.

Thanks,

-- Gary

Been looking at a tahitian uke, just for kicks. Is there anything to look out for when buying one?

If I were in Tahiti (wow), that would be cool to be able to play the "local" instrument by just picking it up and strumming out on it right away!

-Aldon

I went to Le Marche and I didn't spot the stores you are referring to but I did spot a couple of store with them in Papa'ete. None them sounded like they'd ever been tuned so I was reluctant to even attempt to try playing one.

-- Gary

Top Bottom