PDA

View Full Version : The E- Chord - Is there an alternative?

BarbaryBill
04-28-2009, 12:34 AM
I've searched under E-chord...can't find what I'm looking for.

I guess I'm like most newbies - the E-chord (along with several others needing four fingers) is the chord from hell in terms of finger placement. I'm also pretty certain that short of growing a third hand, I'm not likely to ever get the contortions right!

So My questions are:

1. Is there a harmonic alternative to the E chord? ie what could I get a way with at a push!??

2. Any sneaky tips on finger positions?

3. Suggestions for painless amputations?

Thanks

3-fingered Bill

PS

Shucks ...got my first callous forming....so proud!! It's like a first born! (OK I know ...that's a bit OTT - but you know what I mean!)

Woodshed
04-28-2009, 12:47 AM
I wrote a post about it here:

10 Ways to Play and E Chord on the Ukulele (http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/04/22/e-chord-ukulele/)

A useful substitution for E is E7, but it only works in certain keys: like A.

BarbaryBill
04-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks for that ! Much appreciated

I'l play around and see if I can get a tuneful note without pain

thanks again

Bill

Toucan Mango
04-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Thumb positioning can help a lot on some of those chords.

sukie
04-28-2009, 04:30 AM
Just practice. Really. Use your index finger on the A string and barre G, C and E with your ring finger. You'll be glad you can do it. You won't be able to avoid the chord forever -- might as well learn it. :D

carpekd
04-28-2009, 06:30 AM
sukie is right. I hated the E chord when I first started, but I just kept putting my index finger on the A string and barring the top 3 with my ring finger (you'll have to make sure it bends back enough as to not mute the A string). Just pick a song with an E chord in it, and practice over and over and over... it is the only way you will get better.

generem
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Or do what I do..

Transpose the song to avoid the E chord all together :D

bt93
04-29-2009, 01:28 PM
i use my thumb and put it on the fourth fret (top 3 strings) and then index finger on bottom a string (second fret)

i also use my thumb for d

Waterguy
04-29-2009, 03:35 PM
This is one of those things where being face to face with someone who know's how to do it can be invaluable. When I play an E, I use the second method of Woodshed's 10 methods. The trick is the fret hand position. I'm not sure exactly how to describe this but when I play it, I find it waaaaay easier if my fingers are pointing more towards the body of the uke and less towards the top of the neck.

BarbaryBill
05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Just a quickie to thank those that volunteered some ideas and help.

I'm getting better. Not good - but no longer utter crap at finding a clean e-chord - though the C/E strings being cleanly fretted is totally random. Next challenges are play it cleanly and to find it without looking.

Should have it mastered within the next 5 years!!!!

cashew
05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Just a quickie to thank those that volunteered some ideas and help.

I'm getting better. Not good - but no longer utter crap at finding a clean e-chord - though the C/E strings being cleanly fretted is totally random. Next challenges are play it cleanly and to find it without looking.

Should have it mastered within the next 5 years!!!!

Bill, it took me nearly a YEAR to get the e-chord (yeah, I'm just about at my one year uke anniversary) Once you learn that chord a WORLD of music opens up to you.. It is still not easy but... but its wonderful.

UkeNinja
05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
1. Is there a harmonic alternative to the E chord? ie what could I get a way with at a push!??

The question all beginning ukulelling drips down to: is there an alternative to the E-chord?

Yes indeed. The alternative to the E-chord is more E-chord. Either that, or cowbell.

(Some people may notice I am stepping off of the bent pipe technique. Research turned out that it poses health hazards to young players due to the fact that some pipes contain lead. Stay healthy, kids! To the TS: use the search function with "bent pipe technique" to find some valuable esoteric knowledge hidden in the vaults of UU...)

hoosierhiver
05-04-2009, 03:43 PM
I've been working on a H chord that might put an end to this discussion.

Link
05-04-2009, 03:49 PM
LOL HH.

I used to hate the E shape. But after a week or two, it was just another chord. Just tackle that beast. Play songs with alot of E, and get used to that bad boy.

IamRobbyah
05-11-2009, 08:57 AM
As others have said, just keep practicing with it. It took me a good year to finally get it down. Once you nail it, a world of songs open up...

MGM
05-11-2009, 07:08 PM
my favorite e chord is a f Change Key lol

ichadwick
05-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Typically the E chord is shown as:
But try 4447. A bit shrill for all songs, but it sometimes works.

Also: consider transposing down a step so the E becomes an easier D. Or even better: so the E becomes a C, G, or F.

UkuleleHill
05-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I typically do what Ichadwick does... but this way the double up:

http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/picture-126.jpg

Is what I use when the 4447 seems to high for the song...

ichadwick
05-13-2009, 01:28 AM
I used to hate the E shape. But after a week or two, it was just another chord.
Best advice. Practice, practice, practice.

I played guitar for 40+ years and haven't had problems making chord shapes for a few decades. But when I started the uke, I found the small scale and narrow fretboard cramped my hands. My fingers were forced into odd arcs; my wrists bent unnaturally; my elbow flew out and flapped like a turkey's wing when I changed chords.My left and and wrist would ache soon after attempts to play songs that were familiar to me on the guitar.

Now I play the chords with comfort and ease. All because I practice daily.

rondhi
05-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Easiest way I've figured out to do it is like this:

Use the first three fingers to hit the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string on the the 4th fret, then use the base of your index finger to hit the 1st string, second fret.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2522/photo4f.th.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo4f.jpg)

BarbaryBill
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I've had nothing but sound advice in here and the best was -

:worship:

Practise practise, practise, Practise, practise, practise

Well it worked - I think. It wasn't pretty to look at. sounded little muffed at times but ....By Jove ....I think I got it!!!!!!

Not slick enough to use yet - but the fear has gone!!

Thanks again all!!!!!!

sukie
05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
What until tomorrow when you try it again, It'll be even easier. That practice really comes in handy.

MisoHappy
05-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Index finger - A string 2nd fret
Thumb - G, C and E strings 4th fret

Disadvantages: Makes changing to and from other chords difficult. Almost always sounds horrible.

Man, that hurt. Right in the gut.

In my opinion, it sounds just as "horrible" as the rest of the variations, and two fingers is easier than four.

BarbaryBill
05-16-2009, 04:14 AM
On the G ...I find the G7 easier to leap to and from F and c chords (like an anchor point) and I can't tell - 'cos I'm new to all this - a difference between a G7 and a G chord sounds

Is this a heinous crime or is it permissible are there times which i have yet to discover where this will cause problems?

sukie
05-16-2009, 04:42 AM
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I'll chime in anyway...

Sometimes the G7 may work, but not always. The G7 wants you to play another note afterwards. That's kind of what the 7s do.

It's best if I repeat myself on my mantra -- practice, practice, practice.

I remember when I first started playing ukulele it was impossible to make the G chord sound right. Now I don't give it another thought.

PortugueseSausage
05-16-2009, 07:57 AM
bar second fret with pointer finger and bar the top 3 strings of the 4the fret with your ring finger. it looks hard looking at a chord chart but if you barr it its easy

mailman
05-19-2009, 12:48 PM
How about a double-neck uke with the upper neck tuned to an open E chord? Play the rest of your stuff on the lower neck, then strum the upper whenever you need an E.... :D

Daionsavage
05-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Tune in D instead, and you're compatible with the rest of the string instruments ;)

Dirka
05-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Ha! Figured out a way to wrap my giant hand around that tiny fretboard so that an E comes out. Sweetness.

I'm far from actually playing it tho, takes about a minute to get everything in place, but that'll work out eventually.

cpatch
05-23-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this already (unless I missed it), but if you're barring the 2nd fret with your index finger and trying to do a partial barre on the 4th fret with your ring finger then it doesn't matter if you accidentally mute the first string with your ring finger...the first string is doubling the B on the fourth string (especially if you're playing with reentrant tuning in which case they're the exact same note). In fact, if it's easier for you to do a partial barre with a different finger you can just barre the 4th fret and lazily bend your finger so the first string is muted...you still have an E chord (444X instead of 4442).

asyagar
06-23-2009, 11:36 AM
when i searched the web, i found this way:
http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/images/ukulele-chords/E.png

and it's not that hard to play!

cpatch
06-23-2009, 11:43 AM
The question is whether or not it's hard to play in the context of a chord progression...in other words, is it easy to change to quickly after the chord before it and then change quickly to the chord after it? In some cases it may be, in others not. (Or for some people it may be, for others not.) That's one reason why it's good to know (and practice) several variations.

(BTW, the easiest alternative to the standard E chord is to tune your A string to a G!)

baumer
07-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Just practice. Really. Use your index finger on the A string and barre G, C and E with your ring finger. You'll be glad you can do it. You won't be able to avoid the chord forever -- might as well learn it. :D
Good advice. I'm only about a month into my uke journey, and after avoiding E for a while, I realized I just can't hide from it anymore!

10 Ways to Play and E Chord on the Ukulele (http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/04/22/e-chord-ukulele/)

Thanks for this! I've been working on #3 (what sukie described), but it almost always ends up coming out like #5..... arrrgghhhh!! practice, practice, practice, I guess!

sukie
07-15-2009, 09:56 AM
baumer, it's worth it! See, practice really helps. :D

ihavenotea
07-15-2009, 10:17 AM
On the G ...I find the G7 easier to leap to and from F and c chords (like an anchor point) and I can't tell - 'cos I'm new to all this - a difference between a G7 and a G chord sounds

Is this a heinous crime or is it permissible are there times which i have yet to discover where this will cause problems?

In the key of C, you can get away with this 98% of the time. In the key of D you can get away with it about 95% of the time.

It is great when you are first starting out, as you can use the simple forms you are well practiced with to play songs for people… Meanwhile you can work on the harder stuff when you are alone.

(Wish I could actually stick to that plan on Harmonica… anything I can play well I tend to not play… instead I will start working on something new and everyone around me suffers).

Thumper
07-15-2009, 10:34 AM

I have a really hard time with that position, particularly on a tenor. Do you have long fingers?

Harrison
07-17-2009, 12:07 AM
How about muting the A string! Then you can just barre G C E string with middle finger, leaving the pinky for muting strum if necessary.

MonMon87
07-17-2009, 12:19 AM
I actually play it with my first finger on the A string and ring finger barring the rest, but I'm sure the barring is the hellish part yea? Cuz that was definitely the difficult part for me! So an alternative that I sumtimes use is putting my 1st 3 fingers where the bar should be, and muting the A string with the rest of my hand/palm. Hope this helps even a little bit!

Steiner
08-03-2009, 03:11 AM

I don't understand why this version isn't the first alternative to those with problems with the E, especially those with big hands.

I only play this E, and sometimes the bar 4/4th string 7th fret version.

I'd rather play this and practice changing from other chords to this one. The "normal" E chord takes practice to get right, then you have to practice chord changes into that. This one eliminates the 1st part, at least for me. Now I practice chord transitions into this E and eventually it's smooth and sounds good. But like everything it's not like fingering it this way automatically makes all the songs with E chords easy to play, you have to practice.

I play this one: index on 1st fret, middle on 2nd fret, and pinky on 4th fret.

UkeNinja
08-03-2009, 03:54 AM
People, people, don't you know?

The C-chord is the new E-chord! Strum hard and no one will ever notice.

C! :nana: C! :nana: C! :nana:

P.S. F is the new A-chord, and G is the new B-chord. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Mayercaster
08-12-2009, 06:46 AM

I was going to post that, because its the way I learned the chord, and for me the easiest way

I Ukulista
08-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Learn to make D chord on the second fret. That's 2220 using your middle finger and index finger together. Then slid to forth fret and practice 4442.
OR
If you are really stuck play the E and A strings only but stopping the A at second fret... Shortened E if you get stuck in a song. Practice, we all had to come through this!

JonPHX
08-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow, and I thought I was the only 'newbie' who hates the E Chord! YIPEE, I'm not alone...Ok, I hate B flat, too! LOL!

ihavenotea
08-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Wow, and I thought I was the only 'newbie' who hates the E Chord! YIPEE, I'm not alone...Ok, I hate B flat, too! LOL!

You will grow to love the Bb form. Once you get it you can slide it around to produce second position C and D. This opens up neat possibilities when playing in certain keys.

I am always frustrated with Em to B transitions… it seems like it should be an easy shift, but I mess it up more often that not.

When it comes to the E chord, there will come a day when you can just play it without thinking. Sometime after that you will realize you are no longer struggling with it. On that day there will be great rejoicing.

Vindelanda
08-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I also thought I was the only one struggling with it! Glad it's not just me!
I could not do it at all on my soprano, but I recently got a concert and that teeny bit of extra room seems to have made the difference for me. Not to say that I can change easily to it, but at least I can jam my fingers in there when I'm practicing it on its own.
Maybe with some practice on the concert I can get it on the soprano.

Thumper
08-22-2009, 12:37 PM
I am always frustrated with Em to B transitions… it seems like it should be an easy shift, but I mess it up more often that not.

Try playing Em7 (0202) instead of Em - most of the time it sounds fine, and it's easier to play when making quick moves.

Ser-T-Fide
09-07-2009, 03:40 PM
go for index and ring. you can't go wrong.

CountryMouse
09-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Try playing Em7 (0202) instead of Em - most of the time it sounds fine, and it's easier to play when making quick moves.

::making a note:: I need to see if this will work in a song I'm trying to work out.

I've only been playing a little over 2 weeks, and it's still hard to plunk down all three fingers at once for the Em.

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
09-13-2009, 09:51 AM
::making a note:: I need to see if this will work in a song I'm trying to work out.

I've only been playing a little over 2 weeks, and it's still hard to plunk down all three fingers at once for the Em.

CountryMouse

Nope, it's not gonna work. The Em7 just doesn't sound right. I'm trying to work out "Angel" by Grey Eye Glances. A LOT of chord changes in it, but I really love the song.

CountryMouse

Thumper
09-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I just listened to Angel, and it does sound better with a regular E minor.

News flash: I just realized there is a two-finger version of E minor: 0402

I don't know why it took me so long to discover that - for some reason that option is not shown in my Hal Leonard chord book. :o

CountryMouse
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I just listened to Angel, and it does sound better with a regular E minor.

News flash: I just realized there is a two-finger version of E minor: 0402

I don't know why it took me so long to discover that - for some reason that option is not shown in my Hal Leonard chord book. :o

Wow, thanks for that alternative fingering for E minor! Now if I could just find an easy G to go to right after that Em. Heh. It's just that I STILL am having trouble remembering the fingering of G vs. G7. Something in my brain keeps crossing them up.

In the chorus it probably sounds better F G F G F G C. I could use G7 in there instead (easy pivot), but it's not what I know the record sounds like.

I'm doing a couple weird things that I don't know what they are in the bridge: they're some forms of G. One is 0200 then 0220 (3X) then G (0232). I like the way it sounds. In fact, I was fooling around and found them and realized it was the perfect thing for the bridge in "Angel", so that's how I started working on the song!

Aargh, my wrist is hurting: I've been trying to work on the Evil E chord. Don't need it in this song, but I ran across it in some other one.

Thanks for your help!

CountryMouse

UkeNukem
09-13-2009, 12:30 PM
How about a double-neck uke with the upper neck tuned to an open E chord? Play the rest of your stuff on the lower neck, then strum the upper whenever you need an E.... :D

Hey, I like this way of thinking! How about a 5 necked version ala Rick Nielsen (http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=rick_nielsen)!

(opening Google search for sources of cigar boxes and glue)

akbound
09-19-2009, 03:11 PM
These post really helped me thanks to all. I had taken up the guitar about eight months ago and then lost my left pinky to a trailer hitch. Being right handed that left me a finger short for many guitar cords so I am switching to the ukulele and having a ball with it. I will start with the one finger E and mute the A for starters but think I will be able to do the alt three finger E with some pratice pratice pratice.

mailman
09-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Welcome to UU, akbound! Geez, if you can be that confident missing a finger, I guess I'd better get practicing! I now officially have no excuses....

RubberDucky451
09-21-2009, 06:43 PM
right now I'm hating E, but I'm trying to learn a song with E,B,F# which are pretty common in that progression.

ukulelehoo
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I ran into an interesting thing yesterday. I too have had issues with the E chord, I've been playing for a year and have been avoiding it until maybe 1-2 months ago.

I just changed my strings on my Flea from Hilos to Worth Clear Lites and I can now play the E chord much easier!!! Something about the tension of the strings doesn't require me to have to have such a perfect fingering.

Leslie

ralphk
10-08-2009, 05:02 AM
The 0402 is probably the easiest fingering for Em, at least for me.

The 0432 is also fairly easy. (Easier for me in that I find it difficult to not to get a muted string with 4432.)

You can play the B7 as 4320

So if your song has a Em B7 sequence, the fingering shape is the same, just shift one string to the bottom or top string as needed.

Rick
10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
aha i looked through that link, and i do my E way differently. I only use 3 fingers on it, and i think its pretty easy. I use my index middle and ring finger on GCE and the base of my index finger naturally presses down on the A string on the 2nd fret. Idk if other people do that

Rainhill
10-11-2009, 02:51 AM
Hi guys,

I'm really new to all this, and cant even get a decent barre on the F# chord :o :o stupid fingers lifting up at the ends... but I saw musicteacher2009 I'm Yours tutorial, and the E seemed (to me) really easy, probably the easiest I've played....

He says to barre 4th fret index finger, and hold down A string 7th fret with pinkie. I've got this chart (http://www.kiwiukulele.co.nz/Kiwi-Ukulele-Chord-Chart.pdf) from somewhere, perhaps on UU, and it shows this position as an alternative.

Hope this helps, and doesnt go over anyone elses posts..I'll get my flame-proof suit on anyhow....:p

devilishlypure
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Ohh, this thread makes me feel so much better. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has issues with E. I'm motivated to test out a few of these alternatives and maybe even go back to trying to bend my ring finger in unnatural positions. You guys are awesome. :)

ihavenotea
10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Ohh, this thread makes me feel so much better. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has issues with E. I'm motivated to test out a few of these alternatives and maybe even go back to trying to bend my ring finger in unnatural positions. You guys are awesome. :)

Revisiting fingerings that were formerly impossible can often have surprising results. As your hand grows in strength and dexterity you will find things that used to be impossible merely difficult and things that used to be difficult not so bad.

Just keep at it.

madfoot
11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
oh good god i just found this. ignore the exact same question i just asked.

ainokeato
11-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Revisiting fingerings that were formerly impossible can often have surprising results. As your hand grows in strength and dexterity you will find things that used to be impossible merely difficult and things that used to be difficult not so bad.

Just keep at it.

This is actually the best advice, just like everyone else I was a beginner to, and I still consider myself as such. But I was at the point where B was a horrible enemy and I just couldn't hope to hold it no matter what, lol it seemed every song I tried to play there was that one chord that I could "never" do. Few months of practice those chords got easier to get to. Practice doesn't make perfect, but it does get you darn close lol.

Anywho, I like to use 4442 for my E it works almost all the time.

Also for anyone that might not have heard of it

http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/E_Major/Em/em.html

I use that site for all my chord shapes :) it really does work for four string ukes hasn't failed me yet.

Artista
11-24-2009, 03:40 AM
AND,,its a great sounding chord at that! lol

flyingace
11-24-2009, 04:17 AM
as a guitarist for 27 years (since I was 12), my ring finger first digit was already used to flattening out over three strings making A type barre chords. That's how I play it on the uke. I play G, Bm, D and E as barre chords. Makes it really easy to do chord changes with just moving a finger here or there and not resetting all my fingers. If you just start doing it, every day your finger will get more limber. Try exercising it as well with stretches, and such.

I know how hard it is to get that digit limber enough to do that and I watch my wife, who just started playing guitar, struggle with it at 38. I'm so glad my first guitar instructor insisted I learn barre chords and not use the three finger shortcut to an A type chord!

haolejohn
11-24-2009, 05:14 AM
I was playing the ballad of curtis lowe yesterday with dbeal and he played an e by simply barring the fourth fret. It didn't sound any different than the e that I was playing.

flyingace
11-24-2009, 05:25 AM
I was playing the ballad of curtis lowe yesterday with dbeal and he played an e by simply barring the fourth fret. It didn't sound any different than the e that I was playing.

That notes out to be roughly an E6 or C#m7/E

That would probably, with that C# in there, work well with the key of A or D but not so much with others.

I just barre the 2nd fret, then partial barre the 4th fret G C E. Then drop a pinky on 5th fret to make it a 7th

haolejohn
11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
That notes out to be roughly an E6 or C#m7/E

That would probably, with that C# in there, work well with the key of A or D but not so much with others.

I just barre the 2nd fret, then partial barre the 4th fret G C E. Then drop a pinky on 5th fret to make it a 7th

Yeah you just lost me. The chords in the song were a d e and f something. I play the e as 2444 or is it 4442? To the untrained regular ear his barre sounded good. Not as good as my traditional e but heuy were not professionals.

tmoon
12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
At the moment I'm playing it 4447, I find it's easiest to do it this way.
The song that made me learn it was Dent May's 'Oh, Paris!' - listen to the intro, it's the first chord of the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB36ETTlOSM

Ritloof
12-29-2009, 02:59 PM
My way of playing the Uke (left-handed but with the strings in the right order) makes the the E-Chord really easy! :)

BarbaryBill
01-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Many months on....My E-chord is just about getting better - but often muffled and always problematic for swift changes - but I still keep practicing. E7 is my fall back. I reckon it works 60% of the time - but does sound damned weird the other 40%

Stuby

Melissa82
01-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Many months on....My E-chord is just about getting better - but often muffled and always problematic for swift changes - but I still keep practicing. E7 is my fall back. I reckon it works 60% of the time - but does sound damned weird the other 40%

StubyE7 is my fall back as well, lol. Glad to hear E is getting easier!

dentuke
02-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I break it down to the bare essentials and go for X442 eventually the finger will build up to do the full 4 string chord 4442 but for now just play three strings and mute the G or 4th string

ochoaaa
02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I was definitely struggling with the e for the last few days. But when i tried it today i nailed it! Just like what everyone else was saying just keep at it and you're fingers will get used to it

I Ukulista
02-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Listen carefully for I will say this only once... Practice a D chord by puting your third finger on the E string at the second fret then push you second finger on to the C and G strings above. You will notice that your index finger is not doing any thing but is in a perfect position. Now you have a D chord slide that same shape to the fourth fret keep pushing the strings but drop your index finger on to the A string second fret and strum.
I found in learning moving from the D chord to the E chord was less effort than creating a climsy E chord. Also practice pushing your second finger flat against your thumb or a flat surface it should not hurt but will give your fingers some idea as to what is required. Train your fingers well.

Thevisa
02-23-2010, 02:42 AM
I use 4447, It's as easy as the C-chord. I always prefer barre-chords and movable chord-forms, so I don't have to memorize hundreds of chords and if I bumb into a strange chord, I don't need any chord chart for it.

estal8r
03-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this already (unless I missed it), but if you're barring the 2nd fret with your index finger and trying to do a partial barre on the 4th fret with your ring finger then it doesn't matter if you accidentally mute the first string with your ring finger...the first string is doubling the B on the fourth string (especially if you're playing with reentrant tuning in which case they're the exact same note). In fact, if it's easier for you to do a partial barre with a different finger you can just barre the 4th fret and lazily bend your finger so the first string is muted...you still have an E chord (444X instead of 4442).

Exactly how I play the E chord. I find transitions to the other chords much easier + I let the barre finger do the pressure work to keep good contact on the A string. And since I prefer to barre most chords, I already have most of the positioning set up for a smooth transition.

Josh!!!
03-18-2010, 07:55 PM
i'm wayyyyy late with this, but you can do what i do and cheat. bar an E7, and just mute the A string if it sounds off with your progression. with my strumming style, it's hard for the listener to pick out a difference. when i'm fingerpicking i try to avoid E altogether. it's a bad habit that i need to break eventually.

sorry if this was posted already. i didn't have the patience to sift through 8 pages. :P

Coconut Willie
03-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Listen carefully for I will say this only once... Practice a D chord by puting your third finger on the E string at the second fret then push you second finger on to the C and G strings above. You will notice that your index finger is not doing any thing but is in a perfect position. Now you have a D chord slide that same shape to the fourth fret keep pushing the strings but drop your index finger on to the A string second fret and strum.
I found in learning moving from the D chord to the E chord was less effort than creating a climsy E chord. Also practice pushing your second finger flat against your thumb or a flat surface it should not hurt but will give your fingers some idea as to what is required. Train your fingers well.

This is what I have been doing as well. I just approached it as forming the D chord and sliding that chord down two frets and simply dropping the index finger on the 1st string at the second fret.

dparrothead1
03-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Being pretty much a novice, I use the bar cord method. Since I have played acoustic guitars for a long time, I found this method was very easy for me.

molokinirum
03-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I am still trying to get this chord down, but until I can, I use the E7 as my get out of jail card.

BarbaryBill
03-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Hell I must still be in Jail. Just when i think I've got the E the buzzing and duffing returns. Can I borrow you GOJFC ?

S

I Ukulista
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Keep trying.
Learn the D and slide effortlessly to the E

BarbaryBill
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Got the solution! . Bought a new uke. Smaller than the funky monstrosity I had before, easier to bar and stretch across the fretts

My E's now sound ....like .........E's . Now I just need to learn to use my new found extra chord.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Halleeeeeeluuuuujah,

Stew

Rick
04-21-2010, 01:47 PM
usually i play my eyes like id play a D with 3 fingers pressing down on the frets. the fleshy part of my finger (base of my index finger) presses right over the A string second fret. That's how I do it. Other times I do it the traditional way (the dreaded way). My method is just for speed, but if you hold it down right it sounds awesome.

zachbdude
07-08-2010, 05:15 PM
try baring the fret closest to the nut. that what i do. i very rarely use my pinky.

RuthMarie
07-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I barr the 4th fret and place my pinky on the A string, 7th fret.

RubberDucky451
07-14-2010, 11:26 AM
I bar with my fourth finger and hit the a with my index. It gets fairly easy with practice.

hartroc
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Practice, practice. There's no way around it. Depending on the situation, I play E a variety of ways.

They're all good ones, but sometimes the require a bit of a jump. Either way, the only way you're ever going to get it is to practice.

brunette_moment
07-22-2010, 03:27 PM
I think I found the perfect E chord practice song - California Dreaming - it's all E-min to E-maj chord changes, sigh.

Thiefree
07-26-2010, 06:46 AM
I'm enormously relieved to see a sticky on this subject, as it's been giving me hell too! Great to see so much advice on the subject. With a bit of practice, I think barring with the ring finger could be the answer I was looking for.

spookefoote
07-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Try this little sexy strumpet of a chord 1 4 0 2 mmmm, or 4 4 4 7

BarbaryBill
07-26-2010, 09:24 AM
I mentioned previously that my purchase of a new uke has enabled me to get E chords sounding like E E chords - which is great.

However I have spent so much time substituting with E7 that my chord changes are smoother with E7 and can take up to a fortnight with the E chord.

So folks.....even when you think you've cracked it .......practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice and when you've done practicing ......do some more. And then a little more.

Bugger.

Stew

mm stan
07-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Aloha Theifree,
I'd go with the second position barred 4447 until you get better and comfortable with the 4442...
Good Luck!! MM Stan.....

Mariozi
08-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi,

It didn't take much to get it.
I do the "double up" that Woodshed describes (Big :shaka: BTW!!!) 'cause I don't have a very long ring finger tip to bar all 3 strings.
And this way I don't change my wrist position radically.

Just one week of intense A E B E C E D E F E G E and all the way back.
Then another week of B E D E to polish it and these other 2 barred chords.
30min/day should do to create the "muscle memory".

Good Luck!!!

rudegirl
08-13-2010, 07:25 AM
This is brilliant, I've been having real trouble with the E. My first instinct was to do the treble up, then I tried cramming all my fingers into the fret which was rubbish. The one that works best for me is the double up, still a bit dodgy but with some practice should be fine.

SimonAlojipan
08-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Hmmm...I've never had trouble with this cord. Mainly because I've been playing piano for 7 years and I can stretch very far. Or maybe because I play a small Soprano, never anything bigger :|

The way I play is is:

Index Finger - Bottom String - Second Fret
Thumb - On Top Three Strings - Fourth Fret

Am I doing it wrong?

tooney
09-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I've been using Woodshed's Second Alternative, the double-up (though I came up with that before I saw his post). :) I like the name.

hey - anyone know how to stretch fingers a quarter inch? Is that asking too much?????

blackey.cobra
09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I can get a tuneful note without pain...Thnx..

kriquit
09-20-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm a beginner too. I'll probably be bashed a little for this, but I often use E7, much easier for my short little fingers to manage, and my "audience" (my 4th grade students) don't seem to mind the harmonic differences :)

I also use the ezFolk web site, here's the link for alternative E chord hand positions (scroll down on the web page, it's there!)
http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/E_Major/e_major.html

molokinirum
10-14-2010, 10:22 AM
I have been going through the Fretboard Roadmap book and have found that for the D I bar the G,C,A strings with my middle finger. Then slide that chord formation down two frets and put my index finger on the A string at the first fret. Since this is now a movable chord and having been playing it over the fretboard, the E chord is not hard at all!! It really takes time and practice, as I used to always use the E7.

kyliejakeman
11-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the tips :) (http://semarangbisnis.info) it was very helpful :) (http://johnbzu5ke.onsugar.com/) :) (http://stevzjsygr.tumblr.com/) i appreciate it :) (http://pulse.yahoo.com/_PRK7MW5F4XNSWSUBCUQ6L374FY/blog/articles/20535?listPage=index)

JYUkulele
12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Bar the 4th fret, and put your pinky on the 7th fret a string :)

BarbaryBill
01-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Having started this thread I thought an update appropriate. I can now do an E chord - Barre second fret and squash wedding finger across 4th fret GCE strings.

Took months to get it to sing. Still no expert but just about acceptable and it does sound just like an E most of the time. Still got a bad habit of substituting E7. But It's a qualified success - thanks to this website and all the help from its frequentors!

Stew

jamsmith
01-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Can any one help me in learning guitar, i am interested in playing with guitar.

JAK

ukuleles for sales (http://www.ukulelesales.com.au)

Nickie
01-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Easiest way I've figured out to do it is like this:

Use the first three fingers to hit the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string on the the 4th fret, then use the base of your index finger to hit the 1st string, second fret.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2522/photo4f.th.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo4f.jpg)

Woodshed and Rondhi, these are brilliant! I've found the thumb across and this one the most helpful, as I have old, tired hands. (I drop a lot of objects that I pick up)

Froy
01-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Here's a website that I go. It gives you different fingering for a certain chord hope this helps http://projects.caseyporn.com/uke/soprano/Emaj.html

Seen
01-10-2011, 03:07 AM
Today's the first time I've ever tried playing the ukulele and I came across the E-chord and I was soooooooo frustrated because it seemed impossible to play without disjointing my fingers. So I came online to try and find out if I was doing anything wrong and I found this thread. Now that I know it's the nightmare chord from hell for most, if not all newbies, I feel so much better (ha!). I guess I have to stick to that thing called practice then! Cheers everyone! This has been a massive encouragement to me. My fingers are sore but... I've found some perverted pleasure in it... heh.

Merry strumming!

claudios
01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I love Al's post about 10 way to play that same version of that damn E Chord. You can play different versions of the E Major too. I describe these in TAB notation - E.g. your troublesome E is 4,4,4,2
- Try 4,4,4,7 as this is a simpler barre chord. This is the C Major shape just barred up a bunch of frets until it becomes E Major.
- You can also try 9,8,7,7. This is the A Major shape shoved up a bunch of frets until it becomes E Major
There are other shapes but you get the idea hopefully.

There is a great App for iPhone/Android called Basichords. I describe it on my blog here:
http://claudio-uke.blogspot.com/p/android-uke-apps.html

Cheers,
Claudio

jamela
02-06-2011, 06:15 PM
So glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble with E.

Band-aidformyUke
02-25-2011, 04:28 PM
i use my thumb and put it on the fourth fret (top 3 strings) and then index finger on bottom a string (second fret)

i also use my thumb for d

wow, if only i'd read this before i posted a new topic. haha.

chamblin
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
I only started playing the ukelele last week, I am usually a keyboard player. So I'm thinking you know, I should be able to work out the chords or whatever (it's a bit slower than just having a chord chart in front of me but it helps me understand the fretboard and remember it better). I figured E out to be 1402, which has been mentioned in this thread. Also on Em, I worked it out as 0402, where most of the chord charts show it as 0432. Obviously, the chord charts I looked up are the correct notes, but I don't know what the holes in my thinking are. Why is 4442 the fingering in all the chord charts? Is there something unique about the instrument? Is it because it's easier to switch to other chords commonly played with E? Is it because it's a bar chord, so it's easier to synthesize other chords using the fingering? Does 1402 sound horrible to a trained ear? Thanks for any advice :)

smokecigrate
03-16-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm also pretty certain that short of growing a third hand, I'm not likely to ever get the contortions right!

Sanagi
03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
The issue with the 1402 fingering is that both the middle two notes are playing 'E' in unison which may overpower the other notes and make the chord sound empty. But if it sounds right to you, go for it.

I find that the 'official' form of the chord, with all four fingers on 4442, is the overall best-sounding and easiest to move into and out of, but I do like option #2 from the second post, where you lay your middle finger over two notes to make it a little simpler.

jonesjimbo
03-16-2011, 02:53 PM
I am pretty new to ukulele and I am coming into this kind of late, so I don't think anyone should take any advice from me. But this is what I do.

I usually just play 444X (muting the A string). I do this by barring the 4th fret with my index finger.

The 2nd fret on the A string is a B note which is the same as 4th fret on the G string.

Do you really need to play that B note on 2 strings? You already have the chord when you play the 4th fret on the G, C, and E strings.

I hadn't seen anybody mention this technique and was also looking for some feedback as to why it may be wrong.

uke4ia
03-18-2011, 10:31 AM
I've been playing for 35 years. I've always used my thumb for E chords. I was self-taught, so I didn't have anyone telling me not to do it that way. It might have sounded a little "eh" for the first couple of years, but for the 33 after that it's sounded fine. I don't usually have any trouble getting to or from that position from any other during a song. It's like everything else, you just have to practice.

uke4ia
03-18-2011, 12:14 PM
I just remembered another way I sometimes use that isn't in woodshed's UkuleleHunt list.

A string 2nd fret index finger
E string 4th fret ring finger
C string 4th fret middle finger
G string 4th fret thumb

This version is good if you use suspended chords. I will use this method to play E or F# if I'm going from a suspended chord to the major or vice versa. All you have to do is slide your ring finger up a fret to get the suspended chord. You've got to make sure to actually get your thumb down onto that G string or you'll just mute the string.

Uke Whisperer
04-14-2011, 01:31 AM
Three months ago I asked the same questions (as many have) regarding the "impossible E chord". There have been MANY times I decided that the E chord must have started-out as an April Fool's Joke! Sometimes I found myself taking the route of investigating for that "perfect alternative" to finger it (no, I didn't find it). Sometimes I must have gotten a little frustrated about it because, after practicing behind a closed door, my wife would comment "you must have been trying to play that E chord today!"

I want to thank all those UKERS that advised to "keep practicing", that someday it would come!

Yesterday, April 13, 2011, was "That's one small step for a some, one giant leap for me" day!!!!!

I can now play the 4 finger E chord (verified this morning to make sure I was not dreaming). No, the transitions are not at all timely yet, but I am sure they will come!

Again, thanks to all that contributed to making me a believer!

To those who have not accomplished this yet, "keep on keeping on"!

olivah
04-14-2011, 02:29 AM
Hello.
This is the way I manage to play an E chord.
With index do like a barre chord on second fret then tilt your finger 22616 just make sure the base of index is pressing the A string.
That way it makes it easier to get other 3 fingers in line22617
or doesn't it?
anyway it works for me:D
Peace
Olivah

Uke Whisperer
04-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Hello.
This is the way I manage to play an E chord.
With index do like a barre chord on second fret then tilt your finger (approx.) 50 degrees 22616 just make sure the base of index is pressing the A string.
That way it makes it easier to get other 3 fingers in line22617
or doesn't it?
anyway it works for me:D
Peace
Olivah

It took me three months before I got the three fingers to work! I'm sure not only did practice contribute, I believe my finger stretching, tip bending and "over-lapping" exercises helped too. I'm going to give your method a try AFTER I nail down the transitioning to/from the "one plus three in a row" version. Cool!

PatOcken
04-16-2011, 08:41 AM
That was you, Mr. Shed? Great site; it really helped. Thanks.

robackyap
04-29-2011, 07:25 PM
just practice n juast learning how to play it...

firebane05
05-19-2011, 10:11 PM
you can do what i do Transpose the song to avoid the E chord all together ;)

mosaicnasa
06-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Some thing is missed here, most of the replies are out of discussion.

allUkedup
06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I don't understand why this version isn't the first alternative to those with problems with the E, especially those with big hands.

I only play this E, and sometimes the bar 4/4th string 7th fret version.

I'd rather play this and practice changing from other chords to this one. The "normal" E chord takes practice to get right, then you have to practice chord changes into that. This one eliminates the 1st part, at least for me. Now I practice chord transitions into this E and eventually it's smooth and sounds good. But like everything it's not like fingering it this way automatically makes all the songs with E chords easy to play, you have to practice.

I play this one: index on 1st fret, middle on 2nd fret, and pinky on 4th fret.

really late to this conversation, but this is the first E I saw how to play. it was in my chord finder book and I found it the absolutely hardest to play, that's why I clicked on this thread to see a different way! and the way that is shown, index on A and ring finger barring the rest on 4 is much easier for me. Although it will take some practice getting used to it.

ardensfweb
07-12-2011, 09:21 PM
I've searched under E-chord...can't find what I'm looking for.

I guess I'm like most newbies - the E-chord (along with several others needing four fingers) is the chord from hell in terms of finger placement. I'm also pretty certain that short of growing a third hand, I'm not likely to ever get the contortions right!

So My questions are:

Thanks

3-fingered Bill

PS

Shucks ...got my first callous forming....so proud!! It's like a first born! (OK I know ...that's a bit OTT - but you know what I mean!)

Great question same question for me

NickJackson
07-19-2011, 09:54 PM
It is not easy to learn it easily, you need to give it a serious practice daily. The tips would surly be helpful.

jgomes02
07-22-2011, 01:59 AM
I am a beginner as well and have had problems with the E-chord.
I now play it by barring the 4th fret with my index finger
and placing my pinky on the A string on the 7th fret.
This seems to work best for me..

Know
08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
if you focus on barre chords for the next few hours you play, you'll pick it up in no time. at least that's how i did it. i'm only two weeks into playing too. keep your heads up and just practice for a while, it will come.

Fadedpent
08-23-2011, 03:20 AM
I just got the E chord after alot of practising and i would say that one thing i felt was helpful was to attempt the chord with your hand at different angles. In the end, i found that due to the size of my hand and the size of my uke, the best angle for me was to have my wrist way up by the tuneing knobs. This positioning made the E chord feel alot more natural. Dont know if thats helpful but id throw in my two cents lol

Viola Harpstrings
08-24-2011, 11:18 AM
I am a beginner as well and have had problems with the E-chord.
I now play it by barring the 4th fret with my index finger
and placing my pinky on the A string on the 7th fret.
This seems to work best for me..

So far, this is the only way I have been able to make a decent sounding E chord, too.

nickie_66
09-22-2011, 10:59 PM
heh already had this discussion on another board, so that's simply how i do:

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292/yattaandyou/junk/E.jpg

strangely, the E has never been a problem for me...

Shastastan
09-23-2011, 09:55 AM
heh already had this discussion on another board, so that's simply how i do:

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv292/yattaandyou/junk/E.jpg

strangely, the E has never been a problem for me...

What fret is your ring? finger on? I assume that the A string is open? Thanks

nickie_66
09-23-2011, 10:15 AM
no that's exactly a 4442 chord, the index is free to nicely go on the A string, but anyone who has a suitable finger to do such a semi bar should work on that, it's useful in various chords :)

(i'm doing the D with only one finger, this way, for example :) )

Shastastan
09-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Yes, thanks. I didn't see your index finger on the A string the 1st time I looked. Duh!

nickie_66
09-27-2011, 09:29 AM
well the index is not really relevant on the picture as pretty much anbody can put their findex anythere on the A string :D

musicstuffsome
10-10-2011, 02:35 PM
The way I do a E chord is a bit unusual I dont know if someones said it already but I looked at the 10 ways to do a E chord thing and it wasnt on that, I like to use my pinky 3rd and 2nd finger to fret 444x. One thing that I do a bit diffently though is with my first finger I like to hang it way over the top of the uke like if it was a guitar Id be fretting a note on the 2nd fret of the A string( assuming the ukes 4 strings are like gdbe on a guitar). You can reach thing chord from the sort of base postition where you get open chords with out moving you hand nd from a thoretical stand point a E chord has the notes E B G# in it so this way you get one of each (BEG#x) so theres no need for the note on the 2nd fret on the A.
When I started playing uke I just tried to work out all the chordy songs I knew on guitar on it which Id been playing for a year before. Loads of songs I knew on it had a E chord in it which is so easy on guitar. By the same measure however when I was learning guitar I struggled with the C chord for a while which a,uke would have made really easy work of, an eye for a eye and a tooth for a tooth I guess :)

Kale'a
11-11-2011, 03:40 PM
I agree...the E chord is a doozy. If I can exchange it for the E7 chord and get away with it sounding decent, I do that. Otherwise, I think I read in Roy Sakuma's book to try playing it as 4447 as this is another E chord alternative and it works and is so much easier. Except I have to be careful because it looks like I am flipping someone off. LOL Give it a try and see if it works for you.

UKEON TERRITORY
11-17-2011, 09:57 AM
I love the E chord . It is my absolute favorite chord when I have spent and entire day in no pain and need to twist my fingers in a knot to remind me I am human . lol

Plainsong
11-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Is there an alternative to E? - Yeah, Fb. :D

I kid, I kid. If E7 won't sound right because it won't go to where it needs to, or 4447 just sticks out in a way that isn't good, I use the three finger method at the 4th fret. So yeah, this is hit or miss. If I have the Kanilea, then I have a good shot at hitting it dead center. Otherwise it's "Move on quickly!"

Kitters
12-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Is it cheating if you play it like this..?

It doesn't sound the same as this one of course, but...

I know I should learn it eventually. But it's such a pain in the... fingers!!!

coriandre
12-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes, that is also an E as it fills the chord requirement (E, B, Gsharp).
With the way you are doing it (Gsharp, E, E, B) you have 2 strings in unison

metricfuture
12-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Is it cheating if you play it like this..?

It doesn't sound the same as this one of course, but...

I know I should learn it eventually. But it's such a pain in the... fingers!!!

I typically use either that, or E5 (4402). Yeah, it's only one finger off from your typical E, but getting 2 fingers to move at the same time seems so much easier than all 3. That, and my pinkie isn't much of a team player.

BarbaryBill
12-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi all

Little did i realise when I posted the original post to this tread 2 and a half years ago it would create so much interest! I was just a newbie struggling with the E chord.

Well I can now do an E chord- not mastered it - but I can do it. It sounds almost ok depending what chords I'm leaving from to get to E - or to after the E for that matter. I use the 2 finger barre method now. So the message to newbies ......just perservere. If you are good it won't take long. If you are like me........wait 2 years for progress ....but it does happen!

Stew

Nickie
12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Been playing for a year, and I still suck at making an E chord. I still try to avoid it, much like the way I avoid algebra..

angusdegraosta
02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Wow, that works just fine. 1402 is also fun (but maybe too funky for quicker songs), and I definitely see the use of 444x, either with the first three fingers or a barre. Good to know there are options - not such a chore to accomplish an E chord now.

Just doing my part to revive an old thread that's been thoroughly discussed. I was curious, though, and I liked the discussion.

Having started this thread I thought an update appropriate. I can now do an E chord - Barre second fret and squash wedding finger across 4th fret GCE strings.

Took months to get it to sing. Still no expert but just about acceptable and it does sound just like an E most of the time. Still got a bad habit of substituting E7. But It's a qualified success - thanks to this website and all the help from its frequentors!

Stew

Tifflery
04-19-2012, 04:47 AM
I feel yah. I'm developing my first callous too!!!
I'm so proud of it. :) I keep telling myself I'm taking it slow, and really, I'm just avoiding E as well.....
Ok, I'm picking a song and just buckling down with E.....wish me luck, and I'll see you on the other side.

shuttlebug
04-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Surprised nobody came up with my favorite way to deal with the dreaded E chord - I switch to a baritone. It works the other way, too.

jhanover
04-27-2012, 04:04 AM
I just finished writing the chords for six new songs and discovered a new " E " by accident. Barring the second fret with your index finger then second finger on third fret on third string ( E in island tuning ) gives you the same as the traditional " E " without all the crippling effects. Not sure if that was covered in the 10 alternatives as I cannot open that link currently, and that is what I found. I also found some cool effects like sliding from an " E - " into an Em 7 ", as well as scaling the " C " chords from C 6 all the way up to C 7 ( four chords in all ).

ukuhippo
05-17-2012, 10:58 PM
I wrote a post about it here:

A useful substitution for E is E7, but it only works in certain keys: like A.

When you play E7 and mute the c string, would that be an E?

CSG123
05-29-2012, 05:35 AM
Barre E is simplest for me. My fingers don't bend backwards so the basic barre bottom three strings and fret 2 at the first string ain't happening nor can I crowd my fingers into the 4th fret on my concert. The barre E with the little finger on the 1st string 7th fret is a great sounding chord too.

Tootler
05-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I've bottled out and keep one of my ukes in D-tuning. An E chord is then the same shape as a D chord in C-tuning.

In practice, so far I have not needed an E chord as keys needing E chords tend to be too high for my voice, so I would transpose down anyway to suit my voice. The main reason for the D-tuning is so I can sing some songs I originally learned in C a tone higher to suit my voice better and, at the same time, keep the same chord voicings in the higher key.

casetone2514
06-06-2012, 07:33 AM
g string index finger first fret (G#)
C string little finger fourth fret (E)
E string open (E)
A string middle finger second fret (B)

gratefulbruce
11-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Or if you play standard tuned Baritone the E is easy ... if a song has a lot of E chords, I'll sometimes cheat and play it on the Baritone instead of my GCEA tuned Ukes.

Mercury
12-21-2012, 03:35 PM

The power of the muted string. This Chord is known as: E5/G♯ (1-x-0-2). Given Notes are the same as E major: G♯, E, B. Sounds a bit lower and fuller than the traditional 1st position E major (4-4-4-2) and WAY easier to play, which is a good thing.

pootsie
03-05-2013, 06:06 PM

Wow, you're right! A little practice and this is actually happening for me!

I started playing the uke a year ago this week with no musical background to speak of, and after only a year this chord no longer scares me. hahahahahah

Blank731
03-08-2013, 05:16 PM
I love that this is a sticky, I had the same problem when I started. Usually I just bar the fourth fret and mute the 1st string. You're still getting the three parts of the chord that way.

RedBeth
04-09-2013, 05:02 AM
Thanks for this post, it will come in handy when I come across the E chord. Though I just may try to avoid it for a year or two, I'm used to limitations with my mountain dulcimer and my autoharp! :rolleyes:

UkeKiddinMe
04-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Or if you play standard tuned Baritone the E is easy ... if a song has a lot of E chords, I'll sometimes cheat and play it on the Baritone instead of my GCEA tuned Ukes.

Except when that same song needs a B on the bari. [which is the same shape as an E]

:D

UkeKiddinMe
04-09-2013, 12:59 PM
My E [B on baritone] is still sloppy, but I'll get it.

The frustrating thing is - my brain and fingers will click, and I'll play it effortlessly several times, only for my brain and fingers to unclick, leading to the slop again.

This is one of these things - for me anyway - where the only answer is - work on it a bit Every day. Eventually this will shift into auto pilot.
Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gitarzan
04-24-2013, 09:47 AM
I slopped up too.

I now just play

x
----
||||
||||
XXX|

I bar the third fret and muffle the A string.

alexinaustin
06-02-2013, 03:16 PM
4447 - bar the 4s and pinky on 7. not sure if somebody already offered this. too many posts.

aqualung23
06-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah I don't like it either. To my knowledge there are NO guitar chords fretted like this, but its the only full sounding e, so just play it over and over like I am now. For me its easiest to press down with my second knuckle almost directly on the e string. Of you use a nice round "c" shape with your hand (thumb on the back of the neck), this will give you the separation needed to let the a string ring freely.

belshi
07-09-2013, 06:19 PM
I have found that just keep working at the chord over and over and you will get it.

Rodneydex
11-23-2013, 04:33 PM
There are many other ways you can play the E chord:
G-4
C-4
E-4
A-4

G-4
C-4
E-4
A-7

G-9
C-8
E-7
A-7

There are a few more but they get more complicated. :)

Tootler
11-23-2013, 08:41 PM
4444 is not an E chord. You are playing C# on the A string which is not part of an E chord. The E chord is E G# B. OTOH, 4445 is an E7.

Liamfsus7
11-28-2013, 11:00 AM
I just discovered 4447 after a year of playing the ukulele.
I find this really simple, is that just because I have played for a year?

Im just glad I can play E now :D

YorkSteve
01-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Mmmm...interesting that things which seemed hard suddenly become simpler. To be honest, I don't seem to play many songs which need E major, but I had been using 4442 where I had to, and getting it right about 60% of the time. Then last night I was messing around and played 4447, something which I gave up on as too hard ages ago. And now it just works. And 5558. And 6669....:D

rainbowmusic.com.au
01-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Heya Bill,

My first post on the forum and I thought I would jump right in...

I have built a tool you can use to find all of the possible options for the E Major Chord or any chord for that matter.

It is an interactive Ukulele Fret board map and all you need to do to use it is to select the notes that make up the E Major Chord and it will display all of it's possible playing positions including the inversions which might help you out.

To give you a quick heads up, I use a different counting method other than standard Major Scale Music Theory, which means for me at least it's much easier to count out the chords. The counting method is straight forward. All Major Chords are 1 - 5 - 8's and all Minor Chords are 1 - 4 - 8's so if you want the E Major Chord all you need to do is count out (E = 1), F2, F#3, G4, (G#=5), A6, A#7 and (B=8) so and E Major 1-5-8 would be E G# and B. Click the notes at the bottom of the tool to turn these notes on and have a play to see what works for you.

http://www.rainbowmusic.com.au/interactive-ukulele-notes/

Just a couple more things...

If you want to leave notes out that's cool, though but try to focus of the 5th interval (G#) and include this wherever possible. Also, remember to use the open strings when you can.

Hope this helps, Cameron.

AbbyR
04-01-2014, 08:23 AM
65459 onlu two fingers needed and sounds better too!!! hope it helps

ProgUke
05-27-2014, 07:53 AM
4447 is the move if you have big fingers. I generally play D in the same manor (2225; especially if I am playing in anything smaller then a tenor). Despite years of playing, I can't seem to fret the G,C, and E strings without fretting the A. You actually get a fuller sounding chord; you get an octave instead of a redundant note on the A string; great for finger picking.

Capt Amazo
06-30-2014, 12:54 PM
I think every ukulele player looks at the E-chord for the first time and thinks, "I'll never get that right."
And you probably won't. . . the first time. Not likely the second time either. Or the third. But eventually you'll get it more consistently. And that's the point, you've gotta do those finger streches and eventually it'll just click.

As for technique, I actually bar the G C and E strings with my ring finger and then use my pointer for the A string.

Whatever technique you use, just keep practicing. It won't feel comforatble at first but eventually it'll be second nature.

and GOOD LUCK!

Justalogin
07-04-2014, 12:31 PM
4447 is actually a BETTER way to form the chord than 4442

The problem with 4442 is that the 5th note in major scale of E (viz. B) is played twice. And what's more, it's played twice in the exact same octave (perfect unison). Kind of superfluous.

4447 is better because the ROOT NOTE of the major scale of E (viz. E) is played twice. That's a plus, because the root determines the identity of the chord more than the 5th. Plus, it's played one octave higher, resulting in a richer sound.

CeeJay
07-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Just learn the bloody chord .....it only took me ...oooooh thirty odd years and "Soul Sister " to get it right........:nana:

wldpilot
07-09-2014, 04:23 AM
I'm left handed playing a righty upsidedown. One benefit (perhaps the only one) is the E's a breeze. Now that Abmaj7 on the other hand....

UkeTX
07-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Okay, I am confused about the 4447 and the 2225. What does that mean?
:)

NewKid
07-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Okay, I am confused about the 4447 and the 2225. What does that mean?
:)

The numbers represent the frets you press down starting with the fourth string (G) of the ukulele. A C-chord would read 0003.

NewKid
07-09-2014, 11:55 AM
You can play just the top three strings on the 4th fret for an E and then add the 7th fret on the first string eventually.

Am7 = 2433 took me a year to get down and I'm still working on Fmaj7 = 2413, though 2200 is a nice alternative.

aspieman456
07-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Try buying yourself a capo (or making one at home) and place it over the second fret. That's what I've been doing for weeks now. I learned to adjust my fingers to the strings and memorize some higher chords that I never used before. It's also the same thing with B-chord on the 2nd fret as well. It seems to be making it easier for me to adapt to other chords.

Daktari
07-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Just keep trying all the variations. You might favour one as you get better at them but starting out with them all in your chord practice gives you a chance to learn which you favour. I'm working on the different E variations. Slowly.

I'm quite excited that the guitar equivalent of 4442 that I find difficult is suddenly quite easily achievable on the smaller scale fretboard of the uke (I'm playing soprano and concert...not at the same time of course :rolleyes:). Not saying it's really easily achievable yet but it will be in the foreseeable future with continued practice.

katysax
07-21-2014, 05:08 PM
4447 is easy even with small hands once you get used to barring. Sometimes I use x442 because I can play that cleanly and quickly. I also use 447x or 4477 in fingerpicking as a substitute for 4442. It depends on the context. After playing guitar or ukulele for 50 years I still don't get 4442 cleanly and easily every time.

Daktari
07-22-2014, 12:23 AM
4447 is easy even with small hands once you get used to barring. Sometimes I use x442 because I can play that cleanly and quickly. I also use 447x or 4477 in fingerpicking as a substitute for 4442. It depends on the context. After playing guitar or ukulele for 50 years I still don't get 4442 cleanly and easily every time.

Good to hear that even *coff* old-timers have the same troubles. :D
As a relative youngster, having only been noodling around on guitar for 40yrs and only 20 of those with any seriousness, I'm lucky that I've been playing barre chords for years so transferring over to uke has been fairly painless in that respect. I love that more complicated barre chords are now achievable.

It's the 1402 E variation that I'm practicing most because it provides the most challenge for me personally.

l3uffer
08-22-2014, 05:17 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but what about *changing your tuning*? People do this with capos, but the soprano size can be tuned to E6 (with the right strings) so your C chord becomes an E, while if you just drop a half-step from C6 tuning to B6, you have dropped your F chord to an E chord. Now, if you can play a song in F, you can play a song in E... easy! F becomes E, Dm becomes C#m, Bb becomes A, etc.
Conventionally, I would use the "1402" E chord, but because I accidentally cut my finger open last month, I'm short a finger, so I often go to B6 or D6 tuning (in D6, your E chord would be a D chord in C6 tuning) to make it easier on myself haha.

Nickie
08-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but what about *changing your tuning*? People do this with capos, but the soprano size can be tuned to E6 (with the right strings) so your C chord becomes an E, while if you just drop a half-step from C6 tuning to B6, you have dropped your F chord to an E chord. Now, if you can play a song in F, you can play a song in E... easy! F becomes E, Dm becomes C#m, Bb becomes A, etc.
Conventionally, I would use the "1402" E chord, but because I accidentally cut my finger open last month, I'm short a finger, so I often go to B6 or D6 tuning (in D6, your E chord would be a D chord in C6 tuning) to make it easier on myself haha.

This makes total sense. I see a lot of guitar pickers do this. I hate the E chord, and I STILL can't make one the "conventional way" because my fingers just don't bend back far enough.
I just received a capo as a gift, and used it on one song that is too low for me to sing in C tuning, and it makes all the difference in the world! If I do have to make an E chord in C tuning, I use the 4477 shape, and even though it's a little high, it works in most songs.

Rllink
09-18-2014, 10:20 AM
I play the D chord 2220 a lot of times with my little finger, ring finger, and my middle finger. I have gotten into a habit of that, because my hands are big, and by using my pinkie, it gives me a bit more room. I started thinking of the E, as a D moved a couple frets over, with the index finger dropping down on that A string second fret, or you can call it the B note, whatever. The index finger just sort of belongs there if I play it that way. When I go to it, I hit those three, and an instant later put that index finger in there. It seems to be working well. It is almost a mind game more than a technique.

Tinstar
10-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Typically the E chord is shown as:
But try 4447. A bit shrill for all songs, but it sometimes works.

Also: consider transposing down a step so the E becomes an easier D. Or even better: so the E becomes a C, G, or F.

4447...YES! I am just learning to play the Uke and got to that damnable E chord and was getting so frustrated...HATED IT! Well...after trying the different variations and not happy with any of them...4447 works GREAT for me! Thank you so much for this suggestion. I am in your debt! :D

Hikina
12-31-2014, 09:59 AM
trying to delete post , but i like middle,ring, pinky on 234 and index on first

Tootler
12-31-2014, 12:15 PM

I do that. I have two sopranos in D6 tuning, a concert in Bb6 and a tenor in A6. To play in E I either play D shapes on a D tuned uke or G shapes on the A tuned tenor. I have small hands and both 4442 & 1402 E fingerings I find very difficult so if I need an E when I'm in C tuning, I either play 4447 or 444x. The latter I find very useful as I can finger as if for D and use the pinkie to mute the A string. Very useful if you have to move quickly in and off the chord.

I sing folk songs and when I go out, I usually take two sopranos with me. One in C tuning and one in D tuning. Between them, they cover the keys I usually sing in. Folk guitarists use a capo all the time and my two ukes serve the same purpose. I've tried a capo on ukuleles and I find it very cramped on anything smaller than a tenor. I keep one in my gig bag all the same, just in case...

dave p
01-29-2015, 04:28 AM
Personally my favoured E chord is the 1402, I quite like 4447 for some things and use 4442 as well.

I finger the 4442 the way I do a D chord.

Middle finger barring G and C, ring finger for E and index finger for A.

I was always taught when learning new chords to isolate that particular change, slow it down and repeat.

Meaning, if the song has a change from a C chord to an E chord, just repetitively move from C to E strumming a simple beat, not to worry about timing but concentrate on getting the fingering right, the timing will come.

I reckon a few solid minutes per day of this exercise will go a long way to nailing those tricky chords.

As mentioned earlier in this thread I also don't like using a capo on my uke-too cramped!! I also don't like the weight it adds, it seems to unbalance the whole instrument.

I prefer to keep chipping away at the tricky chords to learn songs in different keys. it's like a small sacrifice now for a long term investment.

Uncle "Ule"
08-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Baritone E chord shows 3rd string 1st fret, 4th string 2nd fret. Other tunings here, http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/chords/chords-bari.html

beowoulfe
08-19-2015, 01:09 PM
The "dreaded" E-chord sounds good on a guitar.................on a ukulele, it sounds horrible to me any way you fret it.

AndrewF
11-04-2015, 01:22 AM
Use the C-shape instead of the D-shape.

Oh, there are 11 pages. Someone probably gave the same reply in that case.

Barrytone
02-08-2016, 09:00 AM
The "dreaded" E-chord sounds good on a guitar.................on a ukulele, it sounds horrible to me any way you fret it.

I guess you are not playing it correctly. I love the, A ,D, E progression it can rise up and slide down the neck, great for bluesy stuff. Make a Bb, slide up one fret to B, then C, C# D, Eb E etc. There is no substitute for practice, practice practice.

Nickie
02-08-2016, 01:22 PM
I guess you are not playing it correctly. I love the, A ,D, E progression it can rise up and slide down the neck, great for bluesy stuff. Make a Bb, slide up one fret to B, then C, C# D, Eb E etc. There is no substitute for practice, practice practice.

I'm almost positive that beowoufle was referring to the "first position" E chord, whereas: 2444 sounds like total crap on any uke I've ever played.

beowoulfe
02-15-2016, 06:31 AM
I'm almost positive that beowoufle was referring to the "first position" E chord, whereas: 2444 sounds like total crap on any uke I've ever played.

Yes, thank you!

Mivo
02-15-2016, 10:56 AM
I found the E Major chord (1402) to be an easier one, but I still fumble Em frequently (when I don't look), which most people seem to consider trivial. Shows how different our hands are. :) 1402 sounds great to me, by the way, rings well on my instruments. 4442 is indeed a bit washboard-y.

JJFN
02-15-2016, 04:06 PM
Just remember the three P's, and you will conquer the E chord. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE There is no other way. Good Luck

pluck
02-16-2016, 01:51 AM
I found the E Major chord (1402) to be an easier one, but I still fumble Em frequently (when I don't look), which most people seem to consider trivial. Shows how different our hands are. :) 1402 sounds great to me, by the way, rings well on my instruments. 4442 is indeed a bit washboard-y.

Give 1442 a try. You can fret both the 2nd and 3rd strings with the same finger. It's easy enough to play on a soprano. I think it sounds better than 1402 and it's movable.

skipreid
06-03-2016, 04:02 AM
I use No 2 for E and same fingering (minus index on 1st string) for D chord as well.

70sSanO
06-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Coming from a guitar where the strings are actually closer together, I had an advantage with playing a 4442 E or 3331 Eb. But like others have said you can mute the G string. While not considered to be proper form, it might be easier to wrap your thumb around enough to mute the G string.

John

Ratbag
07-23-2016, 04:24 PM
E is for Easy, 1st finger 1st fret, on G string (Roll finger down a whisker to mute C string), 2nd finger on 2nd fret on A string, ...JOB DUN

Depending on song & progression this is E.!! ...for a really lush sound, roll 1st finger down to fret G & C string, adding the C# this is my

Favorite cord, i like C6 alot too.!! ...Hope it helps you, it helped me 30years back.!!

vonbiber
07-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Sometimes I play the barre version 4th position (4447) and it's okay with some songs,
and sometimes I just play E7 (1202) which is close enough.

Tootler
01-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Coming from a guitar where the strings are actually closer together, I had an advantage with playing a 4442 E or 3331 Eb. But like others have said you can mute the G string. While not considered to be proper form, it might be easier to wrap your thumb around enough to mute the G string.

John

An easier way to mute the G string (for me) is to bar the 2nd fret but relax the finger tip on the G string. ring finger & pinkie on C & E strings. You can then rest the middle finger on the G string to make sure it's muted.

Eb can be fingered 0332 which is much easier (for me) than 3332 since the Eb chord comprises the notes Eb, G, Bb so the G string can be left open.

I have fairly small hands so I find 4442 a real struggle and I've not found a satisfactory way to finger 4442 so I either avoid the E chord if I can or use 4447 (or 444x) or capo 2 and play D shapes (ADF#B tuning achieves the same result).

Fortunately I rarely have need for the E chord and I can usually work round it. E7 sometimes works but not always but it's worth trying.

UkuleleLibrarian
03-07-2017, 07:05 AM
This is probably cheating, but a lot of times, I've found that E7 is a decent substitute, and way easier to play.

peaceplayer
03-11-2017, 02:55 AM
I Play it this way, i don't know if its musically right but it gives the sound using just two fingers.

Check it out:

https://theukuleleindiafriend.blogspot.com/b/post-preview?token=5PNUv1oBAAA.OrqTAlE0TRqS9SB4kpvY8rJd aWi4NGWgSBLerxQVMmSWn72HzGba1jD_eeUSQkaJEEg3adOS_F CH7ROlgl-itw.1ih4CkVzwdu3AQ_cdIJI3w&postId=2384321573048691922&type=PAGE

Nickie
03-11-2017, 05:00 PM
E is for Easy, 1st finger 1st fret, on G string (Roll finger down a whisker to mute C string), 2nd finger on 2nd fret on A string, ...JOB DUN

Depending on song & progression this is E.!! ...for a really lush sound, roll 1st finger down to fret G & C string, adding the C# this is my

Favorite cord, i like C6 alot too.!! ...Hope it helps you, it helped me 30years back.!!

Thank you so much for this ratbag! It really works, now to practice getting it quickly. Ive been avoiding songs in the key of E for years. Maybe not so much anymore.

Iza
08-13-2017, 06:13 AM
I never got what's the issue with the E chord... It seems ok to me, maybe cause I've been playing the guitar for some years now, and it has similar chords. Fmaj7 on the other hand... :(

Barrytone
08-13-2017, 08:03 AM
Fmaj7? 5500 simples.

Iza
08-13-2017, 10:49 AM
Fmaj7? 5500 simples.

Thanks, I thought it was like that :confused:

ripock
08-13-2017, 12:02 PM
look at the notes you've diagrammed. What do you have? A, E, F, C. What is the 5500? C,F,E,A. Same notes.

Iza
08-15-2017, 10:06 AM
look at the notes you've diagrammed. What do you have? A, E, F, C. What is the 5500? C,F,E,A. Same notes.

Yes, I want to learn to recognize the notes on the fretboard quickly, at some point...

ripock
08-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Yes, I want to learn to recognize the notes on the fretboard quickly, at some point...

Good luck with that. I'm still learning. I come from a background of woodwind instruments where you need to know the note before you play it. The difficulty with stringed instruments is that you don't need to know what you're playing. For example, if you know the shape of the dorian mode you can start at any fret and execute the shape, and get a beautiful set of notes. You don't necessarily know what key you're in but it sounds good. I've tried a few things over time. I made flashcards devoted to what four notes are on every fret. It worked horizontally, but I still didn't have a good knowledge of the vertical relationship of the frets. Nowadays I try to practice being hyper-mindful of what I'm doing. I, for instance, play a chromatic scale and say every note I play as I play it. I also will grab any old piece of sheet music and try to sight read it. I can do it with difficulty. So it is still a work-in-progress. I would suggest to start by memorizing your frets with markers. Once you know them by heart, you can then count backwards or forwards to ascertain any note. What I mean by that is if you know that the fifth fret is CFAD, you know the note above the C is a B. Also, I do have on my wall a big, meter-long chart of the fretboard with all the notes written in.

Nickie
08-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Thread hijacked.....this is no help with the E chord (which I can make now but still hate)
But:
A fretboard chart is a good idea, but I don't have room for one.
What I just started doing is playing a scale up each string, trying to name the notes as I go. I'm probably not getting all the sharps and flats right. But I know that scales ALL go in steps of Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half. A fret up is a half step. Two frets up is a whole step.

Jarmo_S
08-23-2017, 11:59 AM
I glanced this thread briefly and maybe saw once 1x02 mentioned. So I think this deserves another post.

It is an E chord and done with just 2 fingers. First finger damps also the 3rd C-string. First A-string is most naturally pressed with the third finger and also then the middle finger is ready to press down to get get E7, 1202, when needed.

Nickie
08-23-2017, 03:45 PM
I glanced this thread briefly and maybe saw once 1x02 mentioned. So I think this deserves another post.

It is an E chord and done with just 2 fingers. First finger damps also the 3rd C-string. First A-string is most naturally pressed with the third finger and also then the middle finger is ready to press down to get get E7, 1202, when needed.

Right! It's a better sounding E natural than ol' 2444 also!

Jarmo_S
08-23-2017, 10:10 PM
I think you mean't 4442, but you are right. It is a good sounding chord.

The only thing to take care about is not to accidentally mute also E-string. It can happen easy. Takes some practice.

Nickie
08-24-2017, 05:07 PM
I think you mean't 4442, but you are right. It is a good sounding chord.

The only thing to take care about is not to accidentally mute also E-string. It can happen easy. Takes some practice.

Yes, you are right! It's a well known fact that my dyslectic brain keeps me from counting correctly.

Help!
09-22-2017, 03:15 AM
hey, I am new in this group and confused about buying a ukulele, which is best for the beginners? I have to choose between soprano and concert, I got this post and its written that concert is better should i go for that ?http://www.hownwhys.com/2017/09/soprano-vs-concert-ukulele.html

Tootler
12-11-2017, 03:27 AM
+1 for 1x02 and also there's 444x. Both are a complete E chord i.e. EG#B and are excellent alternatives to 4442, especially if you have trouble with reach or for older fingers stiffening up.

No matter how many preach about keeping trying etc. etc. I have never really managed the stretch for 4442 and these two really are perfectly acceptable alternatives and really deserve to be in tutor books.

UkesterJosiah
03-25-2018, 05:29 PM
For me, it's just one of those chords that takes a while to learn.
One of the ways you can do it is make the chord shape, strum once, and move it up on the fretboard and keep doing it until you get as high on the fretboard as you can. Anyways, thats how I learned and after a while it became as easy as a C chord! Just keep at it and never ever give up! :cool: