Martin makeover

I can't tell if the rosette is too big or the sound hole too small! Looks good in general, though. I think Timbuck did a reconstruction of a Martin concert body onto an old neck at some point - I'm sure I remember seeing a thread on that.

Unique. Nice to see that the usable parts didn't go to waste.
That rosette does look a little big for the size of that sound hole.

I'd like to play that one and see how plays/sounds. If it was a quality conversion, that is a good price for a solid koa ukulele, even though it is not a Martin. I'd also get the original body if I could just to complete the conversation piece.

John

That's actually semi tempting. I wonder why they don't make a koa soprano. That I could afford.

The link is now down. Wish I could see view it.
I'm all in favor of restoring Martins, I have and will put some "basket cases" back in action. The body is what makes the vintage Martin sound.
So the value of this would be in the skill of the luthier.

Hopefully a UUer grabbed it, and will show up here extolling its virtues with pics and sound clips.

OK, the luthier attends STRUM and he brought it with him last Wed. I played it as I led
the song circle and asked if he could lower the action... which he did yesterday, so I plopped
down some cash and currently own the Koa body, Martin neck Soprano.

good volume and easy to play (I like the Martin necks). it currently is taking the place of
my Martin OXK, and I used it to teach my class last night.

I have it conditioning on a ToneRite as I think it will help to mellow out the sound. Your
mileage may vary regarding the use of such items, but I find it helpful :)

I'm not used to posting either pictures or sound bites in threads, however, if I do record
it, I will try to post it and share the link... eventually :)

meanwhile, keep uke'in', everyone!

PS that's me playing it in the picture below :)

I know, I need to lose some weight... and get a better tan!

Last edited:
Top Bottom