Blackbird Clara and Grip Strips

vcs700s

Reaction score
I am seriously considering purchasing a Blackbird Clara- again.

I have owned one before and remember it slipping a bit because the back is so smooth.

I have also owned a Fluke and Flea which had the grip strips on them which helped them not to move around.

Has anyone put something like Grip strips on the back of their Clara?

I've had two Ovation guitars that I applied the "loop" part of velcro to in order to control slippage. The first was a beautifully made Glen Campbell model that had a wonderful neck and one of the best tones ever out of an Ovation. It also had a mind of it's own regarding the position it was willing to assume on my lap. Despite the playability and tone, the almost constant movement drove my crazy. After nearly 30 years, I gave up and sold it.

More recently, I bought a travel Ovation that has a flatter spot on the waist and, while it too is prone to slight slippage, it requires less focus on not having it roll out from under me.

Even more recently, I participated in giving a temporary home to the road show Clara. I liked most things about it with the exception of it reminding me of the Ovation I finally gave up on. I want my instruments to stay put by design, not by owner mods.

Hope it works out for you.

Top Bottom