Banjolele heads

Nickie

Reaction score
My Duke came with a standard plastic head. I guess they all do, unless custom ordered.
Has anyone every changed the plastic head out for a skin (leather) one?
What difference did you find in tone?
Volume?
Was there any affect in the attack or sustain?
Did you like it better?
Was it worth it?
And was it difficult?

I've not replaced a plastic head for a skin one, but a few pointers that might help you.

My banjolele has a vellum (leather) head that I replaced as the original one was torn when I bought it. It's not a difficult job following the instructions supplied, but it does take time ... several days overall ... as the skin needs to be fitted wet and allowed to dry out slowly on the instrument.

The finished instrument has a bright, loud tone ... I don't think I'd want it any brighter, for my style of playing, but the skin does get a little "saggy" in high humidity and tightens up when the weather is dry, so regular retuning of the Aquila "reds" is the norm!

Depending on the style of plastic head fitted, you may need an extra "flesh ring" to fit the skin.

It might be worthwhile e-mailing the manufacturers and get their input on the project, just in case there's any hidden problems with their particular design ;)

Good luck :)
:music:

I had a calfskin head installed at Goldtone in Titusville...about a 40 minute drive. Love it, but if you plan on playing outside much, the tone may deaden a little due to the humidity. Tone wise, it makes it sound like a better quality banjo uke, much more banjo like.. May want to consider the Renaissance head if you will be playing outside much.

Top Bottom