Mid-Range Tenor Choices - Help Please

wake

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading on here for several days now and I'm a little frustrated/confused...

I'm a guitarist looking to purchase my first uke. I think I want a tenor... I have a budget of up to $700. Why spend that much on my first uke, you might ask. I prefer to buy a mid range or just a step beyond entry level, to avoid a quicker second purchase. It also affords me real wood - something I value. It is also sometimes easier to sell if it comes to that, but I don't think it will.

After quite a bit of reading - one of the takeaways I got from one of the members here in a forum thread is that the $500 - $900 range is kind of a "no mans land" when it comes to ukes. There are nice high end and there are lots of choices in the entry levels, but mid range choices are lacking.

I was initially drawn to the following:

KoAloha Opio Tenor - Acacia
Romero Creations - Tiny Tenor (Koa or Mahogany)
Martin T1K

I've also been looking on the used forum, but there really hasn't been anything that's come up - otherwise I might try to snag a used K brand tenor.

Would you please kindly give me some advice as to what to do? It's a good problem to have, but I'd very much like to be playing.

Thank you in advance.

Between Pono's, Mele's, and used tenors, you may have more choices than you think, depending on what's for sale when you happen to be shopping. If you can wait, may find an amazing tenor right here in the marketplace. I have seen used Kanilea and Kamaka's in your price range....not often, but I have seen them.

Last edited:
There are very good ukes at the $700 range and you have listed a few of them. The Opio tenor in particular is a canon. Add to your list a Pono tenor, you might need to stretch to $800 for a pro classic model which will get you a spruce or cedar top with a hard wood back.

Used is a great way to go.......if you can be patient...which I know is hard:p

I agree that there seem to be fewer options in the middle price range. One that would be worth considering is the LoPrinzi model A.

This would be easier if I lived near a uke shop, where I could try out several, but I do not.

I initially was interested in the Pono line of ukes (not the pro classic - I guess the standard mahogany ~$350 - $400), but decided against them after reading some Pono vs x threads.... The problem is - much has changed over the years - manufacturing, quality control, woods, etc... so models that were great 5-10 years ago pale in comparison to others and those that were dogs in the past have improved quality control, or changed woods, etc. and now are contenders in the price range. It's difficult to pin down... I'm trying not to be impatient, but after 2-3 weeks of watching the market place and reverb/ebay, and nothing showing up, I may just purchase a new uke. If I go that route what should I get?

I'd like something balanced and musical, most likely strung High G. I think I would prefer a larger nut as I have fairly large hands. Ornamentation is not necessary - sound quality is. Generally, I value quality.

Thank you.

This would be easier if I lived near a uke shop, where I could try out several, but I do not.

I initially was interested in the Pono line of ukes (not the pro classic - I guess the standard mahogany ~$350 - $400), but decided against them after reading some Pono vs x threads.... The problem is - much has changed over the years - manufacturing, quality control, woods, etc... so models that were great 5-10 years ago pale in comparison to others and those that were dogs in the past have improved quality control, or changed woods, etc. and now are contenders in the price range. It's difficult to pin down... I'm trying not to be impatient, but after 2-3 weeks of watching the market place and reverb/ebay, and nothing showing up, I may just purchase a new uke. If I go that route what should I get?

I'd like something balanced and musical, most likely strung High G. I think I would prefer a larger nut as I have fairly large hands. Ornamentation is not necessary - sound quality is. Generally, I value quality.

Thank you.

Google Hawaii Music Supply and spend the next 5 days listening to real sound samples of the ukes in your price range. You will then have a better idea of what YOU like. I would steer you in one direction and someone else would steer you in another direction.

I too came from " no place to try them" and have purchased most everything online. You can get a very good idea of sound characteristics from the HMS videos

I have already spent so much time on the HMS site. There are so many choices.

Don't forget to put Mainland Ukuleles on your list as well.

Another thing worth doing is to ask if there are any factory seconds that will result in a lower purchase price. Sure, the "flaws" might impact eventual resale--but I generally don't buy a ukulele as an investment.

I think coming from a guitar background you should check out the godin multiuke!

Best just to listen to a lot of choices in your range. While I don't care for the aesthetics, I've been pretty impressed with the tone and playability of the Tiny Tenors I've played.

Best just to listen to a lot of choices in your range. While I don't care for the aesthetics, I've been pretty impressed with the tone and playability of the Tiny Tenors I've played.

Those really caught my eye. I think they look cool. My only concern was what seemed like a smaller body chamber. I thought I might be giving up that (low end) balanced sound I was looking for.

Anytime someone posts a message like this, I recommend the Kala KAATP-CTG-CE solid cedar top, acacia koa body with preamp/pickup. For Under $400 I find it rivals ukes costing upwards of $1000. I also have the Godin Multiuke that I bought used for $400 here in the Marketplace, and although it's an excellent instrument, the Kala is better for un-amped play.

Kala Cedar.jpg

there is a vintage Martin tenor on Flea market music for $700. I have one and they are pretty nice ukes . I also like the cedar topped Kalas, sorry I ever sold mine.

there is a vintage Martin tenor on Flea market music for $700. I have one and they are pretty nice ukes . I also like the cedar topped Kalas, sorry I ever sold mine.

Do you have a link to this? I don't see this in the marketplace.

I failed to mention I would prefer a uke with no electric components.

I don't have one of these (i do have 3 Pono's and think they are very good) but this might fit your needs perfectly. It is solid acacia with the top pickup, the Bagg 5.0. Spanish heel constuction, and a wide nut. Within your target price range. And The Ukulele Site is a top uke supplier

http://www.theukulelesite.com/cordoba-35t-ce-solid-acacia-tenor-w-lr-baggs-5-0-pickup-case.html

But if you can forgo the wide nut, and will accept laminate sides and back, the cedar topped Kala is very highly rated (I'm sorry I sold mine).

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-atp-ctg-ce.html

Or the same model with solid rosewood back and sides. Should be a winner too.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/kala-ka-srt-ctg-e.html

Ralph

After patiently watching and waiting for several weeks, I got this one in the Marketplace, and jumped on it fairly quickly, because I didn't think it would last. I was in your similar situation - wanted a decent one from the start, as I'm already proficient in other stringed instruments. Also, my ukes get tuned in 5ths to make the transition especially easy. I couldn't be happier with it. Sometimes good deals turn up on eBay, too, which is where I got my baritone. It's also a Pono (deluxe mahogany), and a 2nd, although I can't find any flaws on it even with a magnifier. You've just got to be patient, and then ready to jump quickly - I know, sometimes that's hard!

bratsche

I'd email or call KoAloha and see if they have any factory seconds for sale. Their factory seconds are always so hard to find the flaw and are usually just as good as new. Not sure what they go for, but you might be able to find a tenor at a very good deal. Nicest people and best company I've ever dealt with. Worth a shot. If not, my vote is for a KoAloha Opio or a Pono.

Top Bottom