Caraya Ukuleles

The Pashmeister

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm looking at investing in a more expensive ukulele at some point in the future. My current ukes are China cheapies. I have, however found this on Ebay (link below). It looks stunning and is very reasonably priced. Has anybody bought a Caraya uke, or is anybody aware of this make? I can find very little information about them which always worries me.
See link below:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201851307441?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Could be a clone of an Oscar Schmidt or Kala comfort edge concert from the factory that makes them.

It looks like the same thing as what you've already got. I think an Oscar Schmidt would be a much bigger step up for you.

The more I compare, the more I suspect the same company that makes the new Oscar Schmidt comfort edge series makes them. Different headstock profile, no "comfort edge" at the neck, but still looks the same. Oscar laminates are not loud and do not have great projection, but they sound sweet and resonant with the right strings (OS laminates love Aquila's) and plugged in, they sound like a more expensive instrument. Not familiar with the sound qualities of the solid topped models. I suspect they may like a wider variety of strings.

I agree completely with Phil's summation about it being close to an Oscar, as well as it being my personal experience with Oscar Schmidt Ukes that they are generally built like tanks without any major issues, but indeed do not project volume too well acoustically, but the OU models that I owned that were above their mid-range models had nice sounding tone. That said, I discovered there were better playing and sounding options (for me) in that price range from makers such as Magic Fluke Co., Mainland and Ohana. Lately I can even say I have been highly impressed by offerings I recently had a chance to play from Islander and aNueNue, the latter being harder to find stateside.

Depending on your budget and if you have determined what size and what you want your Uke built from, you can step up to many excellent options without spending too much. Good Luck!

Yes, Kala and Oscar Schmidt have similar ukuleles. But this is not made on the same production line as either. Different woods than Oscar's. Very different in every way from Kala's. The "comfort edge" is differently shaped than either. This is a cheap, Chinese-made ukulele. It might not be terrible, but again would not be a step up in quality for our friend The Pashmeister.

Last edited:
Top Bottom