First tenor

mketom

Reaction score
After spending a lot of time building tools - a side bender, 3 sizes of body forms, a binding channel router, go-bar deck and still not enough templates, I finally finished my first tenor uke, loosely following a real nice set of drawings from Georgia Luthier Supply.

It's made from some beautiful koa from Mighty Fine Woods with sides that, in spite of its extreme 3D curl, bent like butter! The binding is maple with 10/20/10 BWB purfling. The neck is one-piece mahogany topped by an awesome headstock face by Master inlay artist Craig Lavin. (The background is Rocklite, an environment-friendly 'ebony") Fretboard and bridge are West African ebony but I think I'll try the Rocklite here sometime soon.

As always a great learning experience. One of the biggest challenges is learning the right sequence of steps to follow. Like it seemed a good idea to mount pickup transducers before closing up the box, when you can easily place them in just the right spot, but not sure it was worth having the jack flopping about during all subsequent steps.

Thanks for this forum and to all who contribute their knowledge and support!
DSC_0336.jpgDSC_0337.jpgDSC_0379.jpgDSC_0383.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0328.jpg
    DSC_0328.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
A beauty, great job for the first one, congrats.

Wow that Koa set is gorgeous! Nice build.
After spending a lot of time building tools - a side bender, 3 sizes of body forms, a binding channel router, go-bar deck and still not enough templates, I finally finished my first tenor uke, loosely following a real nice set of drawings from Georgia Luthier Supply.

It's made from some beautiful koa from Mighty Fine Woods with sides that, in spite of its extreme 3D curl, bent like butter! The binding is maple with 10/20/10 BWB purfling. The neck is one-piece mahogany topped by an awesome headstock face by Master inlay artist Craig Lavin. (The background is Rocklite, an environment-friendly 'ebony") Fretboard and bridge are West African ebony but I think I'll try the Rocklite here sometime soon.

As always a great learning experience. One of the biggest challenges is learning the right sequence of steps to follow. Like it seemed a good idea to mount pickup transducers before closing up the box, when you can easily place them in just the right spot, but not sure it was worth having the jack flopping about during all subsequent steps.

Thanks for this forum and to all who contribute their knowledge and support!
View attachment 99828View attachment 99826View attachment 99827View attachment 99829View attachment 99830

Very nice first build. But I'm a bit confused. Somebody else did the inlay but you did everything else? Nice looking uke otherwise.

Sorry for the confusion, this is my tenth ukulele but my first tenor ( 8 sopranos and a concert previously.) Since this was a milestone if sorts for me I "commissioned" an inlay from Craig Lavin as he is one of the best. Check out some if his work at http://instrumentdatabase.com/lavin/. Craig has created beautiful inlays with Kamaka, Anuenue, John Kinnard and many others on his client list.

It's a really nice looking instrument and I thought you rather confident in making your first instrument from Koa. Now that I see you have previous experience its clear that you knew what you were doing and had no doubt that you would succeed with your first tenor. It's always interesting to see what others are making whether as a hobby maker or pro. It's also interesting to see how others build (and jigs used) so you might like to show us some photos taken during the build of this or future instruments. I hope you like the sound of this one.

Top Bottom