Ko'olau NUD pictorial

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I received this used Ko'olau CS Spruce Myrtle tenor from HMS about two weeks ago. It showed up on their vimeo channel and I was floored by the sound. Because it was not on the HMS site for sale I thought it was a customers. A couple days later it went up for sale and I immediately bought it. A Ko'olau CS Spruce top tenor has been on my bucket list for a long time. It was worth the wait. These are everything you can imagine a custom should be. Light, well balanced, flawless build and a sound and playability to die for. It is the most even toned uke I own, the note fundamentals are great and it would record exceptionally well............in the right hands...........read not mine :p

20170427_153403.jpg20170427_153427.jpg20170427_153307.jpg20170427_153250.jpg20170427_153151.jpg

Last edited:
That's a real stunner, Dave. Nice bright looking spruce top and that grain on the back is SWEEEEEEET!

That is really nice. I just got a Ko'olau as well and they are really nice.

Congrats, Dave!!! I had the pleasure of recently playing Patchenu's Ko'olau. Very, very nice. And the details on the build execution (e.g., finish, purflings, cleanliness of joins, etc.) were right up there with Hive and Kinnard, my two benchmarks for that aspect.

Very nice Dave! I had watched the video and though it sounded outstanding. Another great acquisition. Enjoy.

This is the reason I bought this uke. Sometimes a sound or tone just speaks to you. It is all very personal and I do like this song. Playing this instrument for myself I am not disappointed

Last edited:
:)

This is the reason I bought this uke. Sometimes a sound or tone just speaks to you. It is all very personal and I do like this song. Playing this instrument for myself I am not disappointed

I'm learning that and trying very hard to go with my gut on what sounds "great" to my ears and not be swayed by public opinion:).

And it seems to change over time - tonewood pairings I didn't like before now sound much sweeter. I'm finding now it is even more specific to a particular uke and less about brand, size or even wood.

Love that song too. I can see why this uke "spoke" to you.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I appreciate it.

Casey I have learned that tone preference can even change from one day to the next. Some days I might almost dislike my LfdM or Kinnard spruce tops, I will crave a warmer mellower cedar or redwood sound.

Here are a few close up pics

20170502_203403.jpg20170502_203204.jpg20170502_203132.jpg20170502_203037.jpg1493772312746.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, fantastic, I really want a Ko`olau most of any K brand. What a great purchase!

Way to go, Dave! That is a nice looking Uke acquisition! Enjoy it.

I'm extremely happy to hear you and this uke found each other. Great instruments should be owned by someone who can appreciate their unique sound and craftsmanship. In this regard it is definitely in the right hands.

Mahalo!

Love that myrtle back :drool:

Dave, that is a spectacular looking and sounding ukulele! Lovely combination of sweetness and warmth, showcased perfectly by Kalei on that Beatles tune. I'm so glad it "has flown" home to you, and hope it brings you many hours of joy.

Casey I have learned that tone preference can even change from one day to the next. Some days I might almost dislike my LfdM or Kinnard spruce tops, I will crave a warmer mellower cedar or redwood sound.

Gorgeous!
Almost dislike LFdM or Kinnard - sacrilege:biglaugh:.
I know what you mean - I am battling with myself over cedar or spruce next and change my mind a dozen times a day. I know what you'd say......get both LOL.

Sweet looking Ko'olau, Dave. Congrats.
Outrageously beautiful myrtle on it.

attachment.php

Congrats Dave. What a score on a beautiful and magnificent sounding uke.

Top Bottom