Favilla soprano

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I've heard good things about these vintage Favilla ukes. I spotted one on a guitar store website nearby, and since I would be passing by, decided to check it out. I wasn't very hopeful, from the beaten & bloodied pics, but you never know. It was selling for $139.00. Well, despite the shabby condition, and with the G string missing, it still had very sweet hog soprano tone, and loud too. Surprisingly no cracks on the front, but 2 on the back, and what looks like a big chunk replaced, couldn't quite figure that out, as there was nothing that could be felt with a fingernail at that chunk spot. The killer was the neck angle: very high action at 12th, and you could sight down the neck and see it had been pulling up for decades, needed a neck reset for sure. If it wasn't for that, I might have grabbed it. Oh well.
Screenshot_2017-05-02-13-39-08-1.jpgScreenshot_2017-05-02-13-39-40-1.jpgScreenshot_2017-05-02-13-39-33-1.jpg

Last edited:
The Favillas are great players. Some folks refer to them as a "poor man's Martin". Over the years the prices have been creeping up, but they can still be had for a decent price, much less than many other vintage ukes.

I have one missing it's 12th fret, awesome little player, goes toe to toe with my similar vintage Martin 3M, both around 1940, maybe earlier on the Favilla. Favilla is louder. Martin has possibly a touch more refinement, and of course way higher end model.

Another vote from me that the Favilla Ukes are worth the effort to acquire. I had a Favilla soprano that was in excellent condition, and only sold it after finding even nicer condition '60s Martin Soprano S-0.

Top Bottom