That'll Learn thi

Timbuck

Reaction score
I was making some fretboards this morning ..I have this special jig that I made for routing the fancy pointy bit at the end of the fret board...I did a couple which tuned out pretty good...then I got an idea "Why don't I fit two at a time in the jig and speed up the job"???...so I gave it a go they fitted nicely on top of each other, I clamped them in place and started up the router table..gently fed them in then !!! BANG the cutter dug in and split both rosewood boards down the centre and now I need fresh underwear :eek:..I'll not do that again.

Last edited:
This unfortunate incident again reinforces the fact that every shop should have an EUD (Emergency Underwear Dispenser) close to the bench which can be quickly reached in emergencies. Your pants may depend on it... Yes, we are all looking to do things more efficiently, but sometimes one-at-a-time is the way to go.

Commiserations Ken! I recently shot an electric tenor neck the full length of the workshop whilst widening the truss rod channel. I was using the router table, and I had a "senior moment" after adjusting the fence a tad - I forgot to reverse the direction I was feeding the neck, fed it into the wrong side of the cutter and bang - there it was gone. Fortunately the damage was confined to where the cutter had chewed its way down the inside of the channel, and was recoverable.
I'm not planning on doing that again!

I was called away by the doorbell, whilst changing a router bit a couple of weeks ago. When I came back to the table, I forgot that I hadn't tightened it fully. It's frightening how quickly things go wrong. There's just no time to think about it. Fortunately, I was trying it out on a piece of scrap, so only that was damaged and no damage to me also. Like Paul said above, a senior moment but one that hopefully will help me remember to check everything in future.

Last edited:
Routers a necessary evil? In my case I would say yes. I just use them for one thing on ukes and that is cutting in binding channels. This they do perfectly and I put up with the annoying dental drill sound for a perfect cut. Are they dangerous? Of course they are dangerous, but as power tools go, there are plenty of other tools that are much more dangerous. Planers, table saws to name a few. Routers cause fewer injuries than a lot of other power tools and with a little common sense they are perfectly safe. Mostly I work with hand tools, but sometimes the router is the right tool for the job. Still, I dislike them.

Top Bottom