Martin dealers

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Just curious, I've noticed that none of our favorite dealers here (MIM, Uke Republic and HMS) are Martin dealers. Why is that? I'd guess that maybe Martin only wants dealers who offer their entire line of guitars, and that, in the scheme of things, ukes are just a very small segment of their business. When I click on the Martin page, there is not even a uke category up top, you have to look way down under guitars. Kinda strange for a company who is so well known in the uke community.

https://www.martinguitar.com/

You're probably right. I live near Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, who is a Martin dealer. They carry the line of Martin guitars and have some Martin ukuleles.

Every authorized Martin dealer I know also sells guitar, so that could very well be the case. That said, while Gryphon and Elderly might not be our "favorite" dealers, they are a great and respected shops and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for a ukulele (or guitar...).

Every authorized Martin dealer I know also sells guitar, so that could very well be the case. That said, while Gryphon and Elderly might not be our "favorite" dealers, they are a great and respected shops and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for a ukulele (or guitar...).

Agree! Have been doing business with Elderly for many years - ukes, guitars, mandolins and accessories/parts - and quite satisfied.

Elderly took back my first "Martin 3 cherry soprano" uke when I wasn't satisfied with the sound. Yeah, I had to pay shipping but they ordered me another build from the Martin factory without question. The new one became my best soprano uke of all time. Elderly's customer service is impeccable.

PeteyHoudini

I have purchased ukes and accessories from Elderly as well. They are great folks and I would recommend them to anyone.

"Guitar Companies", generally, require their dealers sell a certain dollar amount a year to remain a dealer. In fact, some famous and even less famous "Guitar Companies" have their dealers "Re-up" buy a certain dollar amount at the beginning of the year, right after Winter NAMM, to remain a dealer. Also, generally the Rep from the company has the ability to "open" a dealer in their territory. While, Mim or Uke Republic might have the ability to sell the dollar amount, some companies also like their entire product line represented. In which case, only selling part of the line might make it hard for the Rep to defend their decision to open a retailer that only sells Ukes that might be 10-15% of the company's overall sales.

Just a few reasons for the the subject thread.

Unfortunately, a number of companies require this even outside of the music world. I don't know if Martin does this or not...leading to the recent purchase of my used but mint S1 (at a savings of about $175 over a new model, so not a major purchase compared to many)...I watched a number of videos on Martins, and was intrigued by the interview of Chris Martin as he talked about ukuleles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrk_n6Nr5lI

It is pretty clear that Martin understands the history of the ukulele in their own company's survival--and their willingness to make ukuleles is based on economics. We should find out who the group of Japanese music store owners were that were willing to embrace the model Chris talked about, and send them something in thanks.

I don't know if Martin will let you carry "just" ukuleles--but in the local Martin stores that I know of (there are three), they seem to have scattered inventory, so I don't think they need to carry everything.

Thank you for posting the video. Chris is a very cool guy. I've never played a Martin. I have four good tenors. Wish they were more available to try. I think if they "allowed" HMS, MIMs, Uke Republic to sell their Martin Ukuleles they might be surprised at how many more they could sell. I've been involved in dealer sales my whol e career and sometimes you have to treat certain products in your line with a different methodology than what you are used to. I don't buy ukuleles from guitar stores. I buy from ukulele experts. Nuff said ....... I'd like to try one. I'm sure Elderly and gryphons are great dealers who sell both guitars and ukulele. I'd like to buy from a ukulele expert. My .02 cents worth.

I'm sure Elderly and gryphons are great dealers who sell both guitars and ukulele. I'd like to buy from a ukulele expert. My .02 cents worth.

They are every bit the experts that HMS, Uke Republic, and Mim are. They just happen to sell more than just ukes.

Top Bottom