Kamaka Factory Ukes Question

pebbleInDaPacific

Reaction score
Hey everyone I need help on something exciting. I just got engaged this weekend (yay!) and my girlfriend said she wanted to spoil me because I spoiled her the day I proposed. She said she'd buy me a Kamaka Uke! (yay!) So here's my question. There is a shop here that just received new ones and I wondered if I should buy one here or if I should wait a year, since she wants to get married in Hawaii and buy one straight from the factory? Does anyone have any experience or have seen the ukes at the factory store? I read somewhere once, don't know if it was on here, that they sell them there at a discount, but the ones they sell had small defects whether it be cosmetic or otherwise. Kinda like buying clothes at some outlet store where sometimes you'll find some weird stitching that's out of place. Also, if that is not the case, Do they sell ones there with a more unique and awesome Koa pattern? Just curious and thanks again for any info from anyone. :shaka:

I dont think you can buy ukes at the Kamaka factory. The used to have "seconds"for sale, but not sure if they still do. Kamaka sells directly to local shops in and around Ohau and the other islands. I would get the one that your girlfriend wants to buy you now, prices most likely will go up.......Howie

I don't have any experience with Kamaka, but I do have some experience with marriage. No offense, but a LOT of marriages break-up in the first year. That being said, GET THE KAMAKA NOW!

(Oh and congrats!!! Cheers and happy years!:)
cheers:

haha..hilarious. good point! but me thinks that if she's willing to buy me an uke, she's a keeper :D

I dont think you can buy ukes at the Kamaka factory. The used to have "seconds"for sale, but not sure if they still do. Kamaka sells directly to local shops in and around Ohau and the other islands. I would get the one that your girlfriend wants to buy you now, prices most likely will go up.......Howie

Thanks! I just verified what you said by googling and it led me to that FAQ on their site. I must've missed it before. Thanks for the help!

i went to kamaka in july of '06.

walked through the door and said i wanted a kamaka...

approx. 6 weeks later it arrived at my door in northern san diego county!!!

so, from my experience... no, you can't buy a kamaka at the factory :)

i even tried to buy one of the demos on the wall - no joy!

AND, i had to pay for shipping.

you may want to buy local for instant gratification.

oh, and congrats on the getting married thing... sounds like you have a keeper.

joel

God knows what will happen in a year(in general), get that Kamaka NOW

LoL!!!! :D

but seriously....
get it
:biglaugh:

Also if your still considering, I wouldn't rule out KoAloha's, Kanileas..etc until you play em yourself

I don't have any experience with Kamaka, but I do have some experience with marriage. No offense, but a LOT of marriages break-up in the first year. That being said, GET THE KAMAKA NOW!

(Oh and congrats!!! Cheers and happy years!:)
cheers:

Ah, so you're an optimist. :)

Congratulations on the accepted proposal. I'd get the Kamaka now because with a rise in ukulele popularity between now and then, the supply will not meet the demand and the prices will rise. Also, you'll be that much better playing on your wedding day and you can woo said sweetheart when the day arrives.

Congrats!

But as for buying the Kamaka, what I think you can do is call the factory, and order one with the 15% factory discount, and come pick it up when you're here. A Japanese visitor went and picked up her very nice curly Kamaka when I was visiting. But it says right on the wall of the factory reception room that you can order ukes there. And even if you cannot, a 15% discount off MSRP for higher end ukes is pretty common at music stores on Oahu, so you can do that too.

She might be a keeper but might decide YOU aren't, get the uke NOW. :D

Thanks for everyone's feedback and congratulations! I enjoyed reading the feedback. An interesting thing mentioned with ordering direct from the factory. So is it the case that when you order one straight from the company, even if it's not a special order, you will more than likely get a more interesting koa pattern?

Top Bottom